Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-26-2012, 02:48 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Lens Mount compatibility

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

The K5 rumor has me concerned. I was planning to purchase one, but now I want to see what it's replacement might be, Sooner rather than later, I hope. I love my Pentax, but do the bayonet mount lenses fit any other camera bodies? I have several that I would not want to replace if Pentax leaves me high & dry!

08-26-2012, 02:54 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I don't think that Pentax will leave you high and dry, but no, the bayonet lenses don't really work well in practice with any other system (that's not to say that they can't be adapted if you REALLY want to).

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
08-26-2012, 02:59 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Considering you can still buy Pentax cameras made in 1976 that will fit your k-mount lenses I would not be too worried. There are plenty of film and digital bodies out there both new and used to last us for many years. And if Pentax goes away tomorrow what difference will that make to your current camera? Not sure I understand "high & dry". Nor do I know which 'rumor' you are talking about. The k-5 is officially discontinued, as in they are not making any more, that's not a rumor. They also are not making any k-7's but you can still buy one new if you look hard enough.

At current prices the k-5 is an incredible bargain, any replacement will almost certainly cost $500 - $800 more than the k-5 does right now.

There are a few other cameras that used k-mount including the Ricoh SLR line. But those would all be film as far as I know.
08-26-2012, 03:37 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Because of the Flange Distance, you can mount a Pentax lens to a body with a shorter distance (such as Canon or Sony) but not a longer one (like Nikon):

Flange focal distance - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Hence Canon users are often caught shooting with old Nikon glass, but not the other way around.

Here are two examples of how to adapt a Pentax lens to a Canon:

AF Confirm Pentax K PK Lens to Canon EOS EF Mount Adapter 600D 60D 1100D DC130 | eBay

Amazon.com: Fotodiox Lens Mount Adapter with Dandelion AF Focus Confirmation Chip, Pentax K/PK to Canon EOS Camera adapter, fits Canon EOS 7D, 20D, 30D, 40D, 50D, 60D, Digital Rebel xt, xti, xs, xsi, t1i, t2i,t3, t3i,300D, 350D, 400D, 450D, 500D, 550

Normally the safest bet, however, would be to adapt it to a mirrorless camera (such as Sony's NEX), so there's no chance of having the protruding linkage on the rear of the Pentax lens interfere with the mirror on the non-Pentax DSLR!

Last edited by DSims; 08-26-2012 at 03:51 PM.