Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-12-2008, 06:26 PM   #136
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Bruce
Those photos are impressive.....That Tamy 1.4tc is a winner.

Falcon
Unfortunately. the exif data does not reflect the tc. Break out the calculator or in my case a pen and paper and multiply the focal length by the multiplication factor of the tc..

03-12-2008, 07:39 PM   #137
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by jgredline Quote
Break out the calculator or in my case a pen and paper and multiply the focal length by the multiplication factor of the tc..
The focal length was 70mm, so 70 * 1.4 * 1.5 = 147mm in 35mm parlance. I just wish Tamron still made these beauties.
03-12-2008, 08:48 PM   #138
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Sigma 135-400 and Tamron 1.4 t/c

Rormeister
Just a little added info. I listed two photos just now in Post Your Photos using the Tamron 1.4 and my Sigma 135-400. I am sure if you keep a lookout, you should get onto one. Some outlets were mentioned earlier in this thread, you may still be able to get one. Good luck!

Point to Note,: Geoffox23 just brought to my attention, that with the above combination, with the camera switched to MF the focussing ring seems to be very stiff and grindy. Take the TC off and the ring is as smooth as silk.
Anybody got any information on that? Maybe help us both.
03-12-2008, 08:53 PM   #139
Veteran Member

Thanks guys for the positive comments. Those 2 shots were snapped off with real haste actually.
Yes I would endorse your comment the Tamron 1.4TC is a winner.
Have a look at my 2 shots in "Post Your Photos". I think that bears it out pretty well.
I am only a avid, but very amateur photographer as well

03-12-2008, 08:55 PM   #140
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Bramela Quote
Thanks guys for the positive comments. Those 2 shots were snapped off with real haste actually.
Yes I would endorse your comment the Tamron 1.4TC is a winner.
Have a look at my 2 shots in "Post Your Photos". I think that bears it out pretty well.
I am only a avid, but very amateur photographer as well
Bruce, I just saw them.
Very impressive. Would you mind posting those very pics here with the lens info?
03-12-2008, 09:09 PM   #141
Veteran Member

Photos as requested. Were taken on K10d with Sigma 135-400 and Tamron 1.4TC. Some cropping has been done.
Settings 400Iso.

1. 1/750s F11
2. 1/750s F8
Attached Images

03-14-2008, 01:03 PM   #142
Veteran Member

After following this thread from its inception (due to my interest in a 1.4x TC) I was quickly convinced that Tamron was The One. However, being the cheapskate that I am I didn't want to pay $130; having missed the opportunity to buy one for $50 (there's a hole in my wall now), I finally picked a LNIB sample on eBay last Sunday for $76, which I'm quite please about.

I only just now got a chance to test it, and I used my Javier-approved Sigma 70-300mm APO (also used it on my newly-acquired Sigma 400mm f/5.6 mirror lens). I took some shots of a hawk that sometimes perches on a church steeple visible from the roof of my workplace. Unfortunately, I cannot post any pics at the moment because I have no means of getting them from the camera to the net, but I will once I get a chance.

I closed the aperture down to f/11 and the shots were sharp, with good colour rendition and contrast. AF worked without a hitch, which surprised me given the f/5.6 equivalent-aperture and cloudy day. I have to say that I'm very happy with this purchase and can see myself using it a lot in the future. And given that it's SDM capable, it should work great with the new Sigma 70-200mm f/2.8 HSM, which I will get in my dreams one day.

03-15-2008, 10:45 AM   #143
Veteran Member

I have not had an change to extensively test my Tamron 1.4 TC, but here a a couple on observations in macro use:

When used with a macro lens (here Sigma 70mm f/2.8), I noticed that this TC did not shorten the closest focusing length, that is, I can have a greater (1.4:1) magnification with the same distant, OR have a usual 1:1 magnification with more distant between the camera and the object when using a TC. This is great.

Here are samples with and without TC

Another thing: autofocus seems to work well, but when I change to manual focus it does not release the focus ring in my lens, and I don't dare to force the ring. Has someone else noticed this behaviour?
03-15-2008, 12:15 PM   #144
Veteran Member

Yes Gawan. I have noticed it(with others) in particular with my Sigma 135-400.
I made a post earlier in this thread on that subject.
I feel that it is one drawbac, and I too feel that it is not advisable to force the focussing ring under the circumstances.
I stick with AF, like it or not.
03-15-2008, 01:02 PM   #145
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I feel that it is one drawbac, and I too feel that it is not advisable to force the focussing ring under the circumstances.
weird...I have noticed that when I use my Kenko, but not my Tamron...
03-15-2008, 01:06 PM   #146
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Here are some from the other day...Sigma 70-300APO with Tamron 1.4TC.

03-15-2008, 01:23 PM   #147
Veteran Member

Actually it does not matter too much for me, because I prefer autofocus, only in macro shots it would some times be easier to use manual focus. Have to try with a quick shift lences, after I get my *16-50 back from repair...

jgredline, those latest bird pictures you posted are absolutely stunning!
03-15-2008, 02:40 PM   #148
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by gawan Quote
When used with a macro lens (here Sigma 70mm f/2.8), I noticed that this TC did not shorten the closest focusing length, that is, I can have a greater (1.4:1) magnification with the same distant, OR have a usual 1:1 magnification with more distant between the camera and the object when using a TC. This is great.
Gawan, realise that a TC is like a magnifying glass, so it will make your image 1.4 times bigger. There is no way it can shorten your minimum focusing distance unless the TC physically increases in length, which is what the Vivitar 2x Macro TC does.
03-15-2008, 02:42 PM   #149
Veteran Member

I have noticed it with the Tamron + Sigma 70-300mm. It's strange that you haven't noticed it also, Javier.
03-15-2008, 04:06 PM   #150
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Miserere Quote
Gawan, realise that a TC is like a magnifying glass, so it will make your image 1.4 times bigger. There is no way it can shorten your minimum focusing distance unless the TC physically increases in length, which is what the Vivitar 2x Macro TC does.
Yes, I think I was prepared for a focusing distance shortening, kinda like when using a extension tubes...