Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-15-2008, 06:57 PM   #151
Veteran Member

I wish I could get one ... and this is the problem at the moment for me.
I have enquired with a couple of places in the US ... and I have yet to get a reply from any place (the links mentioned in this thread).

i just wish i could get my hands on one.

03-16-2008, 04:30 PM   #152
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Mechan1k Quote
I wish I could get one ... and this is the problem at the moment for me.
I have enquired with a couple of places in the US ... and I have yet to get a reply from any place (the links mentioned in this thread).

i just wish i could get my hands on one.
eBay might be your best bet. Most sellers don't mind shipping overseas if you have good feedback. This auction ends in less than 4 hours!
03-17-2008, 04:21 PM   #153
Veteran Member

Another one!
03-17-2008, 05:56 PM   #154
Inactive Account

Sigma 17-70 & Tamron 1.4 TC

QuoteOriginally posted by Bramela Quote
Further to Rormeister's query regarding putinng Tamron 1.4 with Sigma 17-70
I've got a few pictures posted at briantimmins's photos and albums on webshots that show the extremes of this combination. (although why would you want to use a TC at the wide end?)
Brian

03-20-2008, 08:36 PM   #155
Veteran Member

Another one on eBay.

Buy it Now price of $100 and the seller ships Worldwide, so I think one of our European or Australian/Kiwi friends should buy it.

This is a public service I'm providing and have no affiliation with any of the sellers whose auctions I link to.
03-20-2008, 09:07 PM   #156

Has it been confirmed the Kenko 1.5x is the same physical unit? As B&H has it in stock.

I guess Kenko = Hoya = Pentax now
03-21-2008, 06:15 AM   #157
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by frogger Quote
Has it been confirmed the Kenko 1.5x is the same physical unit? As B&H has it in stock.

I guess Kenko = Hoya = Pentax now
If you read through this whole thread you will see many comments about the Kenko 1.5x. Some report it works great for them, while others don't. Javier had the chance to test the Tamron and Kenko side-by-side and returned the Kenko. I wish I could tell you on what page he posted his thoughts, but I can't! Sorry.

There seems to be a consensus on the great quality of the Tamron, both optically and functionally.
03-22-2008, 06:02 AM   #158

QuoteOriginally posted by Miserere Quote
If you read through this whole thread you will see many comments about the Kenko 1.5x. Some report it works great for them, while others don't. Javier had the chance to test the Tamron and Kenko side-by-side and returned the Kenko. I wish I could tell you on what page he posted his thoughts, but I can't! Sorry.

There seems to be a consensus on the great quality of the Tamron, both optically and functionally.
Thanks!

Could you mount the pentax m42 adapter to the Tamron and use manual m42 lenses with it? In theory it should work.

03-22-2008, 07:32 AM   #159
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by frogger Quote
Thanks!

Could you mount the pentax m42 adapter to the Tamron and use manual m42 lenses with it? In theory it should work.
I don't see any reason why it wouldn't work. The TC is just like the camera mount, so if you can attach the lens to the camera (with the M42 converter), then you can attach the lens to the TC. Maybe just make sure that the rear element of the lens doesn't protrude enough to hit the front element of the TC, but I doubt that would be the case.
03-23-2008, 05:22 PM   #160
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Hi Folks...Well, I took my K2OD out today just to get more accustomed to it and discovered that Neither the Tamron 1.4 or the Kenko 1.5 TC will work with SDM DA* lenses....In fact, not even in manual mode...Sure the camera will fire, but then there is no way of knowing if the subject is in focus. Even if you have the diopter adjusted to your eye, how do you know it is adjusted to the camera? As much as I tried, all the images I took with the K20D and the TC came out like Junk...To make matters worse, even my good ole reliable Sigma and tamron lenses do not work with this combo....Quickly, I pulled out the ole K1OD and everything including the SDM lenses worked perfectly.....Do you smell what the Rock is cooking? It smells like Pentax did something in the firmware to deactivate this...Maybe it is a conspiracy, but Tamron discontinues a perfectly good TC and Pentax conveniently shows a TC in their road map?!? ....I will bet that Tamron will be the manufacturer of this new TC which is why they discontinued theirs and the electronics will once again be different....

Has anyone else noticed this?

Last edited by jgredline; 03-23-2008 at 05:31 PM.
03-23-2008, 05:35 PM   #161
Veteran Member

So let me get this straight, Javier. SDM works fine with the 1.4x on the K10D, but does not work at all on the K20D. The K20D works fine with SDM lenses if they're directly mounted to it (i.e. not using the 1.4x).

You also seem to imply that the camera's focus-confirmation does not work when using the 1.4x on the K20D. Can you confirm this?

I think you should send in a fault report to Pentax (it's somewhere on their site); this might just be a bug and not a conspiracy. I suppose it works OK with non-SDM lenses.

As for the manual focusing, if the diopter is set to your eye, then when the image is in focus in the viewfinder, the picture you take will also be in focus. Bear in mind that you may not have the diopter set correctly, even if you think you do. I had to buy a diopter adapter/corrector because I needed something more than +2.5. At +2.5 I would focus in the viewfinder, but it wouldn't be focussed in the picture. Turns out I need + 3.5
03-23-2008, 05:41 PM   #162
Pentaxian

Original Poster
So let me get this straight, Javier. SDM works fine with the 1.4x on the K10D, but does not work at all on the K20D. The K20D works fine with SDM lenses if they're directly mounted to it (i.e. not using the 1.4x).
Yes, this is exactly what I am saying.

You also seem to imply that the camera's focus-confirmation does not work when using the 1.4x on the K20D. Can you confirm this?
Yes, your are right again. The little red confirmation box never lights up and there is no beep.

QuoteQuote:
I think you should send in a fault report to Pentax (it's somewhere on their site); this might just be a bug and not a conspiracy.

As for the manual focusing, if the diopter is set to your eye, then when the image is in focus in the viewfinder, the picture you take will also be in focus. Bear in mind that you may not have the diopter set correctly, even if you think you do. I had to buy a diopter range extender because I needed something more than +2.5. At +2.5 I would focus in the viewfinder, but it wouldn't be focussed in the picture. Turns out I need + 3.5
Perhaps, But I do have my diopter adjusted correctly on other three DSLR's so I am fairly confident it is right on..
03-23-2008, 06:54 PM   #163
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jgredline Quote
Maybe it is a conspiracy, but Tamron discontinues a perfectly good TC and Pentax conveniently shows a TC in their road map?
Those are bad news. I cannot believe that this is on purpose. Come on, with maybe only just 3 Tamrons left in the wild?

I think you have this "Pz" type. Are there other Tamron 1.4x variations which got the two SDM contacts?

EDIT:
Just a thought... Did you first mount lens to TC, then the combo to body? May make a difference if body sees a TC w/o lens.

Last edited by falconeye; 03-23-2008 at 07:01 PM. Reason: added thought
03-23-2008, 07:09 PM   #164
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Falcon
My Tamron TC 1.4 works perfectly on my K1OD with full SDM functionality.. The K20D just simply does not work with it. I am really curious if it is my body or do others with this combo see the same thing.
03-23-2008, 07:33 PM   #165
Veteran Member

Folks; I have used the Tamron TC 1.4 with my new DA 200* on my K20D and found that it works in 'green mode' I have not tried it in other modes. My Kenko 1.5 also works. I'm not sure what Javier's problem might be. The usual light/contrast limiters apply with the 20 as they do when used on my K100D. My use has been limited as I have been busy with other things.

BTW, I just noticed a Tamron 1.4 just sold on eBay for $250.........