Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-28-2008, 09:12 PM   #196
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Here are some ugly birds I shot today...
K10D, Sigma 70-300APO and Tamy 1.4TC

Mother nature at work..

03-29-2008, 02:58 AM   #197
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Nice ones. When do you get your DA* 200? I highly recommend the PTX 1.7 if you don't already have one. I have found that turning the lens to MF and using the TC for AF is not much of a burden...............(my two pix were cropped only)

Regards, JK
03-29-2008, 07:40 AM   #198
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thanks John, I should be getting my DA*200 on monday..
by the way, What kind of 1.7TC do u have?
03-29-2008, 08:12 AM   #199
Veteran Member

PTX F 1.7 AF, not cheap, but worth it IMO...........thought I do wonder what PTX will come up with for the successor, and when...........

03-29-2008, 02:02 PM   #200
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jgredline Quote
The HSM.SDM compatible TC is
part number 1.4x pz-af MC4....This is the one I bought at Samys....Works great with my K20D and all my lenses...

My other Tamron 1.4 TC is part number 1.4x pz-af MC...This is the one that does not work...I bought this on eeeekbay....
That's important info, Javier. So to sum it up:
  • MC4: SDM works on both K10D and K20D.
  • MC: SDM works on K10D but does not work on K20D.

Is this correct?

And the one I have is the MC4 :-)
03-29-2008, 04:05 PM   #201
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Miserere Quote
That's important info, Javier. So to sum it up:
  • MC4: SDM works on both K10D and K20D.
  • MC: SDM works on K10D but does not work on K20D.

Is this correct?

And the one I have is the MC4 :-)
Yes, you are correct according to the info I received and tried it again today..The MC4 works great.
03-29-2008, 04:40 PM   #202
Veteran Member

The HSM.SDM compatible TC is part number 1.4x pz-af MC4

My other Tamron 1.4 TC is part number 1.4x pz-af MC...This is the one that does not work
And the 1.4x pz-af MC4 has 6 contacts on the body side.

While the 1.4x pz-af MC has 7 contacts on the body side.

Correct?
03-30-2008, 09:17 PM   #203
Veteran Member

Yes, you are correct according to the info I received and tried it again today..The MC4 works great.
That's good to know ... as I was lucky enough to purchase this exact TC off a forum member.

03-31-2008, 06:09 AM   #204
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Why use a TC at all in these days of 10 & 14 MP DSLRS? Couldn't you just crop and get the same effect? Most of my pictures are for viewing on my monitor, and if I was going to print, I woudn't print a shot taken with a TC, even the best magnify lens flaws to some degree and degrade IQ. The only reason I keep the 1.7x AF is for its AF conversion of MF lenses.

On the one hand we take 100% crops of our photos and peer at them at distances, they were never meant to be viewed at (and lament and beat our breasts in depair at the lack of resolution), and on the other, we whack on TCs and degrade the resolution. Seems contradictory to me.
03-31-2008, 10:09 AM   #205
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by selar Quote
Why use a TC at all in these days of 10 & 14 MP DSLRS? Couldn't you just crop and get the same effect? Most of my pictures are for viewing on my monitor, and if I was going to print, I woudn't print a shot taken with a TC, even the best magnify lens flaws to some degree and degrade IQ. The only reason I keep the 1.7x AF is for its AF conversion of MF lenses.

On the one hand we take 100% crops of our photos and peer at them at distances, they were never meant to be viewed at (and lament and beat our breasts in depair at the lack of resolution), and on the other, we whack on TCs and degrade the resolution. Seems contradictory to me.
While you are theoretically correct, in practice, the Tamron 1.4x TC works extremely well, and I see little, if any, degradation of IQ. What this means is that you can take a picture with the 1.4x TC and then crop to obtain a 2x image with less pixel loss than cropping a non-TC image. It also looks a million times better than an image taken with a 2x TC. Using the 1.4x TC is a win-win situation.

Don't knock the Tamron TC before you've tried it!
03-31-2008, 10:25 AM   #206
Veteran Member

Well, said Misere. 'IQ' has more than one definition, it would seem...................
03-31-2008, 11:01 AM   #207
Pentaxian

Original Poster
While you are theoretically correct, in practice, the Tamron 1.4x TC works extremely well, and I see little, if any, degradation of IQ. What this means is that you can take a picture with the 1.4x TC and then crop to obtain a 2x image with less pixel loss than cropping a non-TC image. It also looks a million times better than an image taken with a 2x TC. Using the 1.4x TC is a win-win situation.

Could not have said it better myself...Great answer!
03-31-2008, 11:50 AM   #208
Veteran Member

Here are a few more examples taken today.
The lens was the 70-300 APO With tc converter 420mm..Not bad.
All hand held....

I couldn't hand hold that...I would need a momo pod at least...Geez steady hands evenwith SR...Well Done!

Ben
03-31-2008, 02:34 PM   #209
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums

Sure, in theory the earth is round, but in practice we all know its flat, right? Reality is what you believe it to be.

No one's knocking the Tamron TC in particular. I'm just saying that all TCs, be they Tamron, Sigma, Pentax, Kenko, are all superflous, unless you wish to save yourself the trouble of cropping in PP.

Consider, also that we are all in effect walking around with 1.5x TCs permanently mounted to our Pentax dSLRs.

Cropping was not a trivial task in the days of film, most people had to go to a lab to get that done, and pay extra for a custom print. TCs paid for themselves in those circumstances.

When the fact is that 14MP sensors and 10MP sensors outresolve nearly all of the lenses out there, IMHO, your spare change is better spent on buying better quality lenses (or paying off the mortgage, if you have one).

I fully understand that there are lots of people here that have bought so many lenses that they have run out of lens buying options, so TCs are another means of satisfying the LBA itch, but people who don't need to scratch that itch, are better off not buying any Teleconvertor at all, save perhaps the Pentax AF 1.7x converter. Unfortunately, the price of even that piece of equipment has been hyped up beyond belief, to the point that its actually more economical to buy a modern AF lens in the first instance, rather than buy an old MF lens and try to AF it.
03-31-2008, 02:44 PM   #210

Anyone tried the Tamron with the DA 50-200?