Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-31-2008, 02:46 PM   #211
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by selar Quote
I fully understand that there are lots of people here that have bought so many lenses that they have run out of lens buying options, so TCs are another means of satisfying the LBA itch, but people who don't need to scratch that itch, are better off not buying any Teleconvertor at all, save perhaps the Pentax AF 1.7x converter. Unfortunately, the price of even that piece of equipment has been hyped up beyond belief, to the point that its actually more economical to buy a modern AF lens in the first instance, rather than buy an old MF lens and try to AF it.
You are quite right. The 1.4x TC is, for me, a cheap way to access focal lengths I don't have a lens for. I am saving up for my own personal lens roadmap, which will take years for me to drive through, so in the meantime I'm using the TC as a substitute. Like I said, I don't want it so much for producing 1.4x images, but rather for 2x images without having to waste 50% of my 10.4 hard-earned megapixels.

We do what we can with what we have, which in my case is not a lot

PS: All used Pentax lenses are overpriced, to the point I want to vomit Makes one wonder if it's not cheaper to pay 3-400$ more for a Nikon body (let's say) and then save $1000-2000 in used lenses

03-31-2008, 03:50 PM   #212
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
And the 1.4x pz-af MC4 has 6 contacts on the body side.
While the 1.4x pz-af MC has 7 contacts on the body side.
Correct?
No answer?

I'm just saying that all TCs, be they Tamron, Sigma, Pentax, Kenko, are all superflous, unless you wish to save yourself the trouble of cropping in PP.

When the fact is that 14MP sensors and 10MP sensors outresolve nearly all of the lenses out there, IMHO, your spare change is better spent on buying better quality lenses (or paying off the mortgage, if you have one).
Well, you may be wrong and right at the same time...

You are right if the original lens doesn't outresolve the sensor.

You are wrong, however, if the original lens does indeed outresolve the sensor and if the TC is as good to only add magnification, no new flaws.

A 14.6 MP sensor needs a lens resolving at 200 lines/mm (100 Lp/mm). According to Zeiss, their very best SLR lenses resolve at 300 Lp/mm (Zeiss ZF series)!

So, there may be original lenses where a TC delivers full performance even with a 14.6 MP sensor and where your "crop is equal" argument does not hold true!

According to first reviews, the DA* 200mm may be one such lens.

The DA 50-200mm on the other hand may be too soft to make a TC meaningful.
03-31-2008, 03:55 PM   #213
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
This is a reply to Misere's post.

Oh, well in that case, a TC in the hand is worth several lenses on the roadmap.

There is also the consideration that buying these "SDM capable" TCs will actually help you achieve your roadmap. The price increase of a piece of equipment is directly proportional to the number of posts made raving about it.

So by all means, go out and buy not one but a dozen of these TCs if you can find them.

Last edited by selar; 03-31-2008 at 04:07 PM.
03-31-2008, 04:15 PM   #214
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by benjikan Quote
I couldn't hand hold that...I would need a momo pod at least...Geez steady hands evenwith SR...Well Done!

Ben
Ben, Thanks...Since my first Pentax DSLR was the K110D (no shake reduction) it really taught me how to relax myself and my grip to get good clear shots...I got so comfortable holding the camera without shake reduction, that even now in My K10D, or K20D, I do not use the shake reduction unless it is windy.

03-31-2008, 04:16 PM   #215
Veteran Member

[QUOTE=falconeye;
A 14.6 MP sensor needs a lens resolving at 200 lines/mm (100 Lp/mm). According to Zeiss, their very best SLR lenses resolve at 300 Lp/mm (Zeiss ZF series)!
[/QUOTE]
I am fully aware of the argument, that since resolution will be lost due to limitations of the media, you might as well lose it whilst gaining magnification at longer focal lengths.
However, the conditions required to capture 300 lps/mm are so extreme that the argument becomes moot, at best. Most people don't shoot with a tripod and mirror lock up all the time, let alone in laboratory conditions.
03-31-2008, 04:19 PM   #216
Veteran Member

Original Poster

Correct?
Falcon.
Sorry, I missed this post. I believe you are correct, but I will double check when I get home..
03-31-2008, 04:49 PM   #217
Veteran Member

There is also the consideration that buying these "SDM capable" TCs will actually help you achieve your roadmap. The price increase of a piece of equipment is directly proportional to the number of posts made raving about it.
Thanks for adding another post to this thread, then

QuoteQuote:
So by all means, go out and buy not one but a dozen of these TCs if you can find them.
If I could find a dozen, I wouldn't be able to afford them. If I could afford them, I wouldn't need to find them.

There's some Lens Zen for you, Selar

04-01-2008, 05:08 AM   #218
Veteran Member

Sure, in theory the earth is round, but in practice we all know its flat, right? Reality is what you believe it to be.

No one's knocking the Tamron TC in particular. I'm just saying that all TCs, be they Tamron, Sigma, Pentax, Kenko, are all superflous, unless you wish to save yourself the trouble of cropping in PP.

Consider, also that we are all in effect walking around with 1.5x TCs permanently mounted to our Pentax dSLRs.

Cropping was not a trivial task in the days of film, most people had to go to a lab to get that done, and pay extra for a custom print. TCs paid for themselves in those circumstances.

When the fact is that 14MP sensors and 10MP sensors outresolve nearly all of the lenses out there, IMHO, your spare change is better spent on buying better quality lenses (or paying off the mortgage, if you have one).

I fully understand that there are lots of people here that have bought so many lenses that they have run out of lens buying options, so TCs are another means of satisfying the LBA itch, but people who don't need to scratch that itch, are better off not buying any Teleconvertor at all, save perhaps the Pentax AF 1.7x converter. Unfortunately, the price of even that piece of equipment has been hyped up beyond belief, to the point that its actually more economical to buy a modern AF lens in the first instance, rather than buy an old MF lens and try to AF it.

There is a difference between cropping and adding magnification so saying that we all have 1.5x TCs when using a our digital cams is incorrect. What we have is the 1.5x field of view, NOT 1.5x of magnification. I don't care how much you crop you can't gain detail that wasn't there to begin with because your magnification wasn't high enough.

There are quite a few professional wildlife photographers that use TCs.. Art Wolf being the most famous one I can think of but even local wildlife pros I know use them. I don't think pros think that the TCs are "superflous" or that cropping is just as good.

While everyone will agree using a TC will degrade IQ how much depends on the TC and lens combo. Some combos will degrade IQ very slightly while other combos are awful. Its up to each individual photographer to decide what works best for them.

John

ps. Here is a link to one article comparing using TC's and not using TC's. The tester is of course using the high grade glass so results will vary when trying to apply these findings to lower grade glass.

Teleconverters (TCs, multipliers) - photo.net
04-01-2008, 07:54 AM   #219
Veteran Member

Correct?
-----
No answer?
I have the 1.4X Pz-AF MC4 model and it has 6 connectors on the body side and 7 on the lens side. This can also be seen in the early pictures of jgredline (see https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/168587-post17.html )
04-01-2008, 09:41 AM   #220
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by gawan Quote
I have the 1.4X Pz-AF MC4 model and it has 6 connectors on the body side and 7 on the lens side. This can also be seen in the early pictures of jgredline (see https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/168587-post17.html )
I can confirm this is true of my MC4 TC.
04-01-2008, 09:42 AM   #221
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Miserere Quote
I can confirm this is true of my MC4 TC.
Same here. I was looking at them last night and they look the same, but they are not the same.
04-01-2008, 09:52 AM   #222
Veteran Member

Likewise, as I reported above...........now can someone tell me what the seventh is for? (8- )
04-01-2008, 12:11 PM   #223
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by John Kovarik Quote
Likewise, as I reported above...........now can someone tell me what the seventh is for? (8- )
For good luck?

Javier, it would be interesting if you could tape up the 7th contact in your MC TC and test it. It might turn out to work fine with SDM in that way.
04-01-2008, 11:44 PM   #224
Veteran Member

Are we talking about the SP Pro model (white) or the regular black model?
04-02-2008, 01:54 AM   #225
Veteran Member

Are we talking about the SP Pro model (white) or the regular black model?
Black.