Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-02-2008, 12:28 AM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
KEH has the Kenko 1.5x TELEPLUS SHQ PZ in stock for only $43 in LN- condition. This means that you'll be getting a new one in box. I bought one of these a month ago (when they were even cheaper at $37), compared it with the Pentax 1.7x AF adapter and Sigma 1.4x and found it sharper (strangely, the Sigma gave a larger magnification than the Kenko 1.5x).

Here's the topic on Dpreview.com regarding my test with the teleconverters (with pics):

Moon shots with F* 300/4.5 and several converter: Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

What's the difference between the 1.4x and 1.5x apart from the number of lenses in the converter (4 lenses as opposed to 5, I think)?

Last edited by Asahiflex; 02-02-2008 at 12:33 AM.
02-02-2008, 05:58 AM   #32
Site Supporter

Doubt they're the same

One thing I noticed other than the difference in magnification (1.4 vs 1.5) and slight physical differences, is that Kenko is under the same umbrella of ownership as Hoya and Tokina. (Check the Kenko website.) So I doubt they're the same. FWIW Kenko also makes the Pro-300 converter which appears much higher quality, and in several magnifications, BUT of course not in Pentax mount!
I read a thread I think on DP Review about the Tamron not working very well on a DA 50-135, which is exactly the lens I'd be using, so I've ordered the Kenko instead. We'll see how that performs.
Unfortunately, before anyone asks for pics of my experience later, I have NO idea how to post photos and I don't have any flickr/photobucket/snapfish or whatever accounts. Sorry! But I thought I'd share what I'd read about the DA 50-135.
02-02-2008, 08:19 AM   #33
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by NeverSatisfied Quote
One thing I noticed other than the difference in magnification (1.4 vs 1.5) and slight physical differences, is that Kenko is under the same umbrella of ownership as Hoya and Tokina. (Check the Kenko website.) So I doubt they're the same. FWIW Kenko also makes the Pro-300 converter which appears much higher quality, and in several magnifications, BUT of course not in Pentax mount!
I read a thread I think on DP Review about the Tamron not working very well on a DA 50-135, which is exactly the lens I'd be using, so I've ordered the Kenko instead. We'll see how that performs.
Unfortunately, before anyone asks for pics of my experience later, I have NO idea how to post photos and I don't have any flickr/photobucket/snapfish or whatever accounts. Sorry! But I thought I'd share what I'd read about the DA 50-135.
I also have the the DA*50-135 and will test it later today with the tamron TC..
By the way. I ordered the Kenko TC yesterday and will get it Tuesday. It will give me the opportunity to test them side by side..

As for pics, I use Image shack. No need to become a member or even to set up an account. It is easy to do.
02-02-2008, 10:39 AM   #34
Veteran Member

Javier:

Thanks for your efforts on our behalf. I was about ready to order one of the Tamron TC's, but will wait till I see the results of your comparison with the Kenko.

CN

02-03-2008, 06:09 PM   #35
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteQuote:
Javier:

Thanks for your efforts on our behalf. I was about ready to order one of the Tamron TC's, but will wait till I see the results of your comparison with the Kenko.

CN
No problem...Understand that I am nothing more than an amateur photographer so I come from a very simpleton point of view...and my tests are far from perfect, but I suspect most folks here fall into my category....

I did test the 1.4TC on 4 other lenses today...
The bigma 50-500...The auto focus really hunted...I suspect the only way the TC would work on this Lens is with a TriPod and lots of light...

The Sigma 135-400 did OK...While it did not hunt, the sample pics I took were rather soft...Here is a sample of some lemons shot from about 100 feet away at 400mm x the 1.4 TC = 560mm

I also ran some test shots on my 50mm F/1.4..It really worked well on this lens..Other than a longer focal point, I would not notice it was their...

Another lens, I tried it on was my DA*50-135 and again..Amazing results...Everything worked as if the TC converter was not there...Yes the HSM was in full effect..

Likely Tuesday when the 1.5 TC i ordered comes In, I will post more pictures of all the lenses involved...
02-03-2008, 06:23 PM   #36
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Very good info. Not surprised the Bigma has an issue. At f6.7@500mm theres not much light and then you add a stop less. probably fine in strong light but nothing less. I wonder if the Sigma 1.4 TC would fare better. Hows the TC budget for more testing? I've used the Pentax AF 1.7 TC with it and it worked but not without hunting. The subject had to have quite a bit of contrast or be in sunny conditions.

Interesting you choose lemonS and a test subject. Was that a hint?

Now the DA* 50-135 + 1.4 TC is interesting. Sounds good and nice to know the SDM still works well.
02-03-2008, 06:36 PM   #37
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Peter Zack Quote
Very good info. Not surprised the Bigma has an issue. At f6.7@500mm theres not much light and then you add a stop less. probably fine in strong light but nothing less. I wonder if the Sigma 1.4 TC would fare better. Hows the TC budget for more testing? I've used the Pentax AF 1.7 TC with it and it worked but not without hunting. The subject had to have quite a bit of contrast or be in sunny conditions.
Thanks Peter. I thought about getting the sigma, but by looking at the construction and what I read on Sigmas website, I did not think it would work on many lenses...
QuoteQuote:
Interesting you choose lemonS and a test subject. Was that a hint?
Actually, it was not a hint or a Jab. I am quite happy with its performance..I shot the lemons because it was really the only thing with color looking out from my bedroom..I am on the second story, so I shot into my back yard while it was raining..
QuoteQuote:
Now the DA* 50-135 + 1.4 TC is interesting. Sounds good and nice to know the SDM still works well.
Yes, it works extremely well...There is no loss of quality what so ever..I will take some good pics tomorrow and everything works..
02-04-2008, 08:18 PM   #38
Site Supporter

Kenko TC didn't work

Received the Kenko 1.5x TC today. Tried it first on the DA 50-135. Before I even took a shot, the viewfinder kept flashing "M". Of course it wouldn't autofocus. I switched to manual focus on the lens, tried a shot and the mirror locked up. It wouldn't release until I turned the camera off.
Then I tried it on a Sigma 70/2.8 Macro- all I got on that was a message on the top LCD panel, "F--", wouldn't function. I'll have to send the Kenko back. Guess I'll be looking for a Tamron 1.4x.

02-04-2008, 09:33 PM   #39
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by NeverSatisfied Quote
Received the Kenko 1.5x TC today. Tried it first on the DA 50-135. Before I even took a shot, the viewfinder kept flashing "M". Of course it wouldn't autofocus. I switched to manual focus on the lens, tried a shot and the mirror locked up. It wouldn't release until I turned the camera off.
Then I tried it on a Sigma 70/2.8 Macro- all I got on that was a message on the top LCD panel, "F--", wouldn't function. I'll have to send the Kenko back. Guess I'll be looking for a Tamron 1.4x.
Now this is interesting. Tomorrow I will be recieving my Kenko 1.5 TC..
Now in fairness to the Kenko. There is two models of the 1.5. one of them has updated electronics. The one I ordered is Kenko | 1.5x DG AF Tele-Converter for Pentax AF | K15AFDGPK
Is this the same one you got?

For Sure my Tamron 1.4 works great on my 50-135 and on all my Sigmas. So far the Only lens it does not work on is the bigma as it really hunts, but all others is fine.
02-04-2008, 09:44 PM   #40
Site Supporter

That is the very same Kenko TC. But I'd still be interested to know how your testing goes with it.
02-05-2008, 08:57 PM   #41
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Hi Folks
Well, I received the Kenko a couple of hours ago Via UPS....As palmor noted, they are the same..At least they appear to be the same...A couple of quick notes...
1) They doo indeed look the same.
2) The Kenko has a little bit larger glass, liklely the difference between 1.4 and 1.5x
3) While the Tamron works great on my DA* series Lenses, the Kenko hunts like a coon dog...The Kenko also does not like my super zoom 18-250 Tammy...I suspect the electronics are different between the two...Inspight of the fact they look the same..
4) The Kenko works great on both my primes and on all my Sigma glass except the Bigma...
tomorrow and over the next few days, I will set up a tripod and do a proper test, but for now here are a few snap shots...

Sorry for this hack job, just wanted to get the pics on page..

The Kenko on my 50mm f1/4 ..as a side note, the only filters and polarizers I use when I use them are B+W

Here is a quick snap shot of my son on my lap top using the 50 F/14 with the Kenko so what is this, 75mm.....
02-06-2008, 04:37 AM   #42
Veteran Member

SDM compatibility of Tamron 1.4x teleconverter

QuoteOriginally posted by jgredline Quote
Yes, everything works perfectly...It was and is a pleasant surprise...
Tom, Javier is right; I took a look at my K10D's KAF2 mount pin layout, and that of the DA*50-135mm, and compared them to the pin layout on the photos of the Tamron. Bingo! Nice to see a third-party manufacturer updating its Pentax mounts. Yay, Tamron! The Kenko pin layout also looks as though it should work with the DA* lens' SDM, but the build quality of the mount looks a bit inferior to the Tamron, IMO.

Last edited by christinelandon; 02-06-2008 at 04:43 AM. Reason: Overlooked the Kenko photos
02-06-2008, 04:42 AM   #43
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
That's great news. If tamron is updating the mount and connections then we might see even more lenses available from them. They make a great product and have a reasonable selcetion. Now it's time for Sigma (even better selection) to update some lenses and support SDM...
02-06-2008, 04:49 AM   #44
Veteran Member

Yeah, and release their EX HSM lens line in a KAF2 mount!
02-06-2008, 05:05 AM   #45
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jgredline Quote
Here is a quick snap shot of my son on my lap top using the 50 F/14 with the Kenko so what is this, 75mm.....
You can clearly see that the TC screws the bokeh up - as all TC's do.