Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-12-2008, 11:24 AM   #106
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by jgredline Quote
ASA
Those are some really nice pics!! The lens I used was the Tamron 75-300, so it was not a good lens, but the same lens works well with the tamron 1.4TC...

As far as ISO, I am aware that it holds no bearing on Auto focus speed as that comes down to the lens build, but at lower ISO's the pics would not come out..Well, they would, but where extremely blurry and dark. Simply not enough light.
Javier:

Before Ergodon gets you carried too far afield, let me be sure about which lens you were using in your original posting. At that time you stated it was a Sigma 70-300, and in the quote above you said it was a Tamron 75-300. I'm thinking the recent flurry of basically off-thread activity may have led to this discrepancy, but I just wanted to be sure. You see, I have the Sigma 70-300 and a Kenko 1.5TC, and the pictures I have obtained with that combination at 300 (420) mm are nowhere near as sharp as the ones you posted. My Tamron 1.4 TC (the last one available from Cord Camera, they told me) is due to arrive tomorrow via UPS. I'm very interested in comparing them. I've gotten some very sharp images with my Sigma 17-70 lens at 70 (98)mm using the Kenko, and the AF was very fast. The AF was fast enough with the 70-300, but the images were soft. My Kenko gave decent results with my fully extended Bigma, but there was a fair amount of searching even in bright light.

CN

02-12-2008, 11:30 AM   #107
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by cardinal43 Quote
I just got this book Sunday, and started reading it last night. Looks like it will be very helpful. Like you (and I don't mean this as derogatory in any way), I'm having a problem understanding exposure. I can only get better.
No offense taken... I have never claimed to be anything more than a ''professional amateur'' .. That makes me even more of one Somehow a few people see this as a bad thing...
02-12-2008, 11:48 AM   #108
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Clem Nichols Quote
Javier:

Before Ergodon gets you carried too far afield, let me be sure about which lens you were using in your original posting. At that time you stated it was a Sigma 70-300, and in the quote above you said it was a Tamron 75-300. I'm thinking the recent flurry of basically off-thread activity may have led to this discrepancy, but I just wanted to be sure. You see, I have the Sigma 70-300 and a Kenko 1.5TC, and the pictures I have obtained with that combination at 300 (420) mm are nowhere near as sharp as the ones you posted. My Tamron 1.4 TC (the last one available from Cord Camera, they told me) is due to arrive tomorrow via UPS. I'm very interested in comparing them. I've gotten some very sharp images with my Sigma 17-70 lens at 70 (98)mm using the Kenko, and the AF was very fast. The AF was fast enough with the 70-300, but the images were soft. My Kenko gave decent results with my fully extended Bigma, but there was a fair amount of searching even in bright light.

CN
CN
I have both Lenses and have been using both.
The Sigma 70-300APO with the Tamron TC 1.4 is very good (see op for pic)...pretty sharp. With the Kenko 1.5 TC on the Sigma, It is quite soft...

From there I tried the Tamron 1.4TC on the Tamron 70-300mm and the pics, while not as good and sharp as the Sigma APO, where quite usable.., but when the Kenko 1.5TC is used, it is as if it where a different lens all together.. I believe when you get your Tamron 1.4, you will be pleasantly surprised....Why?, I don't know, I just know it works better...
As a side note, IMO the Sigma 70-300APO is a far sharper, faster and better lens than this Tamron I have...

02-18-2008, 03:38 PM   #109
Inactive Account

No offense taken... I have never claimed to be anything more than a ''professional amateur'' .. That makes me even more of one Somehow a few people see this as a bad thing...
Just a side note, 'amateur' is by word a person who works of a passion or love for the activity itself (read photographing here) -- I am also proud to be an amateur.

02-18-2008, 03:54 PM   #110
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by gawan Quote
Just a side note, 'amateur' is by word a person who works of a passion or love for the activity itself (read photographing here) -- I am also proud to be an amateur.

Amen to that..I could not have said it any better.
02-28-2008, 03:19 PM   #111

Just a heads up guys, I found the Tamron TC much cheaper at arlington camera.
Arlington Camera : Tamron AF 1.4x Teleconverter for Pentax

I went ahead and ordered it an waited for it to arrive before I posted here. Well it arrived and it is the real deal. Fast shipping also. Standard disclaimers apply.
02-28-2008, 03:54 PM   #112
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by BeerCan Quote
Just a heads up guys, I found the Tamron TC much cheaper at arlington camera.
Arlington Camera : Tamron AF 1.4x Teleconverter for Pentax

I went ahead and ordered it an waited for it to arrive before I posted here. Well it arrived and it is the real deal. Fast shipping also. Standard disclaimers apply.
Great news. I am pondering getting a second one.
Please share your impressions and some pics.
Thanks..
02-28-2008, 03:55 PM   #113
Pentaxian

Original Poster
$50.00 ????
Is that right?

02-28-2008, 04:15 PM   #114
Veteran Member

For what it's worth, I purchased a Tamron 1.4X TC primarily for use with my Sigma 70-300 APO DG lens. (I have a Bigma, but was looking for a light-weight way of getting some decent long range pictures on trips where I didn't want to lug the 4-pounder around.) I compared the IQ of that combination with the results I got using a Kenko 1.5 TC on the 70-300 lens, and, contrary to Javier's and others experience, really didn't see any significant diference. If anything, I thought the Kenko performed, perhaps, just a tiny bit better. I certainly could not see any difference in autofocusing speed in low light conditions between the two converters. I wound up returning the Tamron to Cord Camera where I had paid $129 for it. Certainly the price at Arlington Camera is nothing less than a steal! I just thought I'd pass this along.

CN
02-28-2008, 04:17 PM   #115

$50.00 ????
Is that right?
Yup. I payed 50 + 11 dollars shipping. I thought it was a pretty good deal thats why I passed it along.
02-28-2008, 04:17 PM   #116

Thanks much, I was about to ask for 1.4x recommendations and this was very timely. I just want to use it on a 77 Limited. Does anyone see any problems?

Gerry
02-28-2008, 04:21 PM   #117
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Clem Nichols Quote
For what it's worth, I purchased a Tamron 1.4X TC primarily for use with my Sigma 70-300 APO DG lens. (I have a Bigma, but was looking for a light-weight way of getting some decent long range pictures on trips where I didn't want to lug the 4-pounder around.) I compared the IQ of that combination with the results I got using a Kenko 1.5 TC on the 70-300 lens, and, contrary to Javier's and others experience, really didn't see any significant diference. If anything, I thought the Kenko performed, perhaps, just a tiny bit better. I certainly could not see any difference in autofocusing speed in low light conditions between the two converters. I wound up returning the Tamron to Cord Camera where I had paid $129 for it. Certainly the price at Arlington Camera is nothing less than a steal! I just thought I'd pass this along.

CN
Palmor also got excellent results with the Kenko 1.5TC..I wonder if
a) There is an updated Kenko and I have an old one?
b) There is an updated Tamron and I have a new one?

I too have the bigma, but it sure is nice to carry that 7-300apo with converter.
02-28-2008, 04:23 PM   #118
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Gerry Quote
Thanks much, I was about to ask for 1.4x recommendations and this was very timely. I just want to use it on a 77 Limited. Does anyone see any problems?

Gerry
I have used this very same set up and it works perfectly.
Gives you 108mm prime.
03-11-2008, 12:55 PM   #119
Inactive Account

Just to let you know, I found two places where you still might find Tamron AF 1.4 TC.

I just bought and received mine from Arlington Camera (Arlington, Texas), paid only $50 for a new one. Even shipped to Finland it was only $89 total, a bargain, if you ask me! (I might have bought the last one, as I can't see it any more in the shop, sorry if true)

http://www.arlingtoncamera.com

I also found it from Robert's Imaging where it apparently is still available.

Roberts New & Used Digital and Film Cameras, Photography Supply and Electronics

The price is $129 - normal I guess - but they would have charged me $70-120 for shipping and additional $25 just for money transfer! So no deal for me, you maybe...

Happy that I found it from Arlington Camera, which btw has a superb customers service, thanks Melanie, you are the greatest!
03-11-2008, 01:20 PM   #120
Veteran Member

Worthy Addition?

I've been considering adding the 1.4 TC to my Sigma 17-70, mostly to minimize additional lenses when traveling. Anyone "super" happy with this setup?
Thanks