Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-28-2012, 07:36 AM   #1
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Neutral Density Filters

i have always felt that when you get a filter you buy top of the line or it defeats the purpose of getting a nice lens...i am looking at getting 1 for my 31 limited and it seems like alot of people are buying inexpensive tiffens..i have only used b+w before and was just wondering what others felt...i also tend to go to the multi coated...does anyone have a suggestions..i don't want to spend the money but also don't want to put a cheap filter on a nice lens..i also see alot of positive from the lee system...thanks, amy

08-28-2012, 07:46 AM   #2
Ari
Veteran Member

I've been using Tiffen filters for years and have been relatively happy with them. I only use them to protect the front element of my lens. I've shot with them off and on and have never seen a discernible difference in IQ.
08-28-2012, 07:47 AM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pearsaab Quote
i have always felt that when you get a filter you buy top of the line or it defeats the purpose of getting a nice lens...i am looking at getting 1 for my 31 limited and it seems like alot of people are buying inexpensive tiffens..i have only used b+w before and was just wondering what others felt...i also tend to go to the multi coated...does anyone have a suggestions..i don't want to spend the money but also don't want to put a cheap filter on a nice lens..i also see alot of positive from the lee system...thanks, amy
Amy,

I agree with you about good lenses needing a good filter or you defeat the purpose of having a good lens. When I got back into this with the dSLRs I found the LensTip.Com review of the UV and CPL filters to be an excellent resource. I used that as the main reason that I chose the Marumi CPLs that I selected. They were rated as good as the B&W but were far less expensive. The reports on the ND filters appear to parallel the CPL filter reviews, which makes sense given how each is made, and I have been happy with my Marumi ND filter as well.

Polarizing filters test - Introduction - Lenstip.com

http://www.lenstip.com/113.1-article-UV_filters_test.html

Good Luck,

-Robert
08-28-2012, 09:09 AM   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
nd

robert that is the kind of stuff i like to hear...less money but same quality..thanks!!!
and thank you also ari !!!!!

08-28-2012, 09:19 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I think Marumi and Hoya multi-coated filters are in the same league as B+W. Good prices are available on Ebay.
08-28-2012, 10:35 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by civiletti Quote
I think Marumi and Hoya multi-coated filters are in the same league as B+W. Good prices are available on Ebay.
I agree, but caution that Hoya has a HUGE range and not all of them are top-of-the-line. Look to where they are made and whether they are multicoated, etc. to differentiate them. Also, eBay is a real crap-shoot because there are fakes, real lower quality models that are repackaged as higher-end models from the same company, etc. I prefer to buy my filters and memory from known retailers to avoid the issue of fakes, damaged materials, etc.

One last issue, Hoyas have been much harder to clean than Marumi models for me.
08-28-2012, 07:11 PM   #7
Veteran Member

I've always wanted to have an all new/close to new B & W filter for my lenses and I'm almost done. Even if there are cheaper alternatives, the mission dictates that I get rid of the BWFA(B & W Filter Affliction).

08-28-2012, 07:30 PM   #8
Pentaxian

You might want to clarify if you are discussing a "square" system filter or a round screw-in filter.

I don't have any exotic tele lenses, but I'm guessing that you might see more differences in filter quality with such a lens than with a very conservative focal length like yours, at least in terms of affect on resolution. I can't detect any resolution loss from my tiffen "window glass" filters on my consumer-grade lenses. Without any coating you can get some additional flare, so that's a consideration.

Obviously, if you have sufficient funds, you'd want to buy the best quality filters. But most of us have to weigh a filter that might be used for only a small percentage of photos, against the possibility of buying some other potentially more frequently used piece of equipment - or maybe travel, etc.

Paul
08-28-2012, 07:54 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by tibbitts Quote
.....Obviously, if you have sufficient funds, you'd want to buy the best quality filters. But most of us have to weigh a filter that might be used for only a small percentage of photos, against the possibility of buying some other potentially more frequently used piece of equipment - or maybe travel, etc.

Paul
I scored a top of the line Marumi 62mm CPL tonight for 1/7th its list price. It's not always possible, and this may well turn out to be defective, but it is worth knowing what you want and keeping your eyes open - that way you can occassionally not have to settle.
08-28-2012, 08:51 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
I agree, but caution that Hoya has a HUGE range and not all of them are top-of-the-line. Look to where they are made and whether they are multicoated, etc. to differentiate them. Also, eBay is a real crap-shoot because there are fakes, real lower quality models that are repackaged as higher-end models from the same company, etc. I prefer to buy my filters and memory from known retailers to avoid the issue of fakes, damaged materials, etc.

One last issue, Hoyas have been much harder to clean than Marumi models for me.

I've had good results ordering from event cameras on Ebay.
08-28-2012, 09:20 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by tabl10s Quote
I've always wanted to have an all new/close to new B & W filter for my lenses and I'm almost done. Even if there are cheaper alternatives, the mission dictates that I get rid of the BWFA(B & W Filter Affliction).
Ahh - another addiction that I didn't know that I might be prone to - BWFA

And I always put B+W filters under my general addiction of GBA (gear buying addiction) - it's nice to know that I can now classify it more precisely!
08-29-2012, 05:19 AM   #12
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
wow everytime i go on this sight i get a new addiction...this isn't good for my wallet but everyone has such great ideas i always have to check them out...thanks so much...i ordered the Marumi yesterday so am looking forward to seeing how they hold up...i do agree MC is the only way to go whatever brand you choose..thanks to all!! amy
08-29-2012, 06:23 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Not looking forward to paying a PREMIUM for a 112 to fit a 300 2.8.
08-29-2012, 08:53 AM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by tabl10s Quote
Not looking forward to paying a PREMIUM for a 112 to fit a 300 2.8.
Whose 300/2.8? The Pentax FA model allows a 43mm filter to be added through a 'drop-in' filter holder near the lens mount.

The lens information also says that Pentax provided *an optional aftermarket *circular polarizing filter in a special drop-in holder allowing for the filter to be turned with a dial on the outside, refer the second and third photos. Item number is Pentax 35184 - Circular Polarizing Filter FA*.
08-29-2012, 01:11 PM   #15
Veteran Member

An expensive lens unprotected? Not in this lifetime.