Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
09-06-2012, 04:08 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Good question, I do have a flash: Sigma EF610 DG ST. It is a good flash although it doesn't have much extra control. I use the gary fong origami flash diffuser with it (which I really like btw) and I find it to be an easy to use combination. However, at the ceremony, I will be in the wedding party, not photographing the wedding. I'll just be taking snapshots during the reception for fun - for which, I might just use my pentax Q for size advantage.

It seems like the 16-50mm and a tripod are the popular suggestions! I might try to figure out how to bring the tripod, we'll see. As much as I don't want to travel with it, I don't want to really miss it either while I'm there.

09-06-2012, 05:31 AM   #17
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by dmort Quote

- - - - - - -

It seems like the 16-50mm and a tripod are the popular suggestions! I might try to figure out how to bring the tripod, we'll see. As much as I don't want to travel with it, I don't want to really miss it either while I'm there.
I live in Copenhagen (56 degrees north) and have about as lttle and as low light as you will have in Helsinki (60 degrees north) in December. So, my advice to you is: Whatever lens(es) you decide to bring along, don't forget to exploit the excellent high-ISO characteristics of your K-5. You probably cannot carry a tripod along all the time to every place so, before you go for the big event, try experiment with the Tav-mode in the dusk. That mode has helped me in many "dark moments" with my slower lenses such as the DA 18-135mm WR.

The 16-50mm will no doubt be good for a wedding, but as a tourist I would consider bringing the 18-135mm as well.

Last edited by Stone G.; 09-06-2012 at 05:39 AM.
09-09-2012, 05:05 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I would be unlikely to bring both the 16-50 (which I'd have to buy) and the 18-135... However, if that travel lens comes out and is available in time, at it is WR, maybe that would be a good choice. Although, it isn't very fast...

The more I've thought about it, the more it seems that my current 18-135 plus 1 fast, "normal" length lens is the right combo. Now I already have the 43mm... maybe I'd be good with just those two? I am thinking about the 55 though, as it is WR. But the new 1.8 is tempting too, since it is cheap. I am also considering the 30mm sigma and, although it is out of my price range, the 31mm.
09-09-2012, 06:58 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by dmort Quote
I would be unlikely to bring both the 16-50 (which I'd have to buy) and the 18-135... However, if that travel lens comes out and is available in time, at it is WR, maybe that would be a good choice. Although, it isn't very fast...

The more I've thought about it, the more it seems that my current 18-135 plus 1 fast, "normal" length lens is the right combo. Now I already have the 43mm... maybe I'd be good with just those two? I am thinking about the 55 though, as it is WR. But the new 1.8 is tempting too, since it is cheap. I am also considering the 30mm sigma and, although it is out of my price range, the 31mm.
I spent many weeks in Finland over the last 10 years or so, and I have a lot of images from my trips there. I love the country and the people of Finland and have many fond memories of my time there.

I am fortunate to have a fairly large collection of lenses to choose from, and over the years, I took most everything other than longer teles with me on my trips. Most often, I traveled with the 16-50 and 50-135, as the range they cover is useful for landscapes, street shots and portraits. I did take a monopod on some trips, but found that it was a hassle to carry and I ended up not using it much, so I stopped bringing it.

Over time, I learned to travel light, and decided to try some trips with primes only. I took the 31 and the 77 only on several trips, but sometimes wished for something wider than the 31. Changing lenses can be a bit of a hassle in the cold, however.

Helsinki is a wonderful city. I spent most of my time there wandering around the entire city on foot sort of "street" shooting whatever caught my eye. I did not venture out into the countryside around Helsinki, however, as my trips there were mainly on the way to Kuopio, where I could get out into the country more easily.

The winter weather is pretty much as described earlier, with many overcast days and lots of grey. If you do get a clear day or two, the light is WONDERFUL. It is long and warm much like early morning or late evening "golden" light we lower latitude photographers love so much. If the sun is out, do not waste any time, however, as it will not be out very long!

If you only get grey days, put your minds eye into black and white mode and visualize the scene that way. That said, one thing I really liked about Finland was the colors: lots of nice colors on homes, doors, window frames, children's clothing, boats, and the long golden light has a way of picking out colorful subjects against the background.

I never had any any problems with non-WR lenses on my trips, so to get back to your lens question, I would take the 18-135 and the 43. I never had the luxury of having the K5 DR on my trips, so you can probably get most of the walking around shots with the 18-135 and use the 43 for portrait and low light work. I have the 43, and while I find that it is a bit of an odd focal length on the APS bodies, it is small and capable of capturing very special images.

Have fun and make sure to post up some images when you return.

Ray

09-11-2012, 03:26 AM   #20

QuoteOriginally posted by Ray Pulley Quote
I would take the 18-135 and the 43
And so would I. I think that combination would work for just about everything you're likely to come across. Granted, the zoom isn't fast but the 43 is.
Then again, if you were to buy the DA 70, I'm sure you'd be absolutely fine with the 21, 43 and 70. It's all up to your shooting style, I suppose.
Which ever lenses you decide to bring along, drop me a PM before you come to Helsinki; I'll buy you a cup of coffee and talk you through the map. (And you can let me drool over that 43 of yours )
09-14-2012, 04:24 AM   #21
Pentaxian

Hi,

I live in Finland and have been living at turku too. What I'd take along, would be that 18-135 and FA 43, + DA21. It can rain even it is end of December, and it can be really dark. even during day time, if you get cloudy weather. But there are some really nice streets, you might like to shoot at evening, with winter lights and all. so lenses for street shooting would be nice. It won't propably be too cold, propably around -5 celcius and little snow. Hope you will have nice tima at Finland.
09-18-2012, 06:56 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Hey all... Thanks for all the tips and welcoming comments! I'm really looking forward to going to finland. Since my brother's fiancee is finnish, and still visits a lot, I think my little family (wife, boy, and a new baby girl expected in about 2 weeks) can expect some finnish vacations in future summers!

Lens wise, I think I'm going to bring the 18-135, the 21mm and the 43mm. We'll see what the fall holds, maybe I'll pick up something else like the 16-50 or the 50-135... I'm not sure. Either way, I know I'm in for a great trip.

But still, no tripod is coming. Too stressful.

09-19-2012, 04:41 AM   #23
Pentaxian

I think that Tripod is not needed, 'maybe monopod' if any. DA* are great in anyway Have fun!
12-16-2012, 09:13 PM   #24
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Well - a while since I posted anything here but I have actually sold the 43mm and the 55-300 that I had... I'm going tomorrow to pick up the 55mm da* and when I return from the trip, I'll be selling my 21mm to make up for the new purchase.

So I'll be bringing my flash, the 18-135, and the newly purchased 55mm. A solid kit I think covering a range of focal lengths, a low light situation, a strong portrait option, etc. I guess I'm just missing something really wide but I'll have to do without!

Oh, and my pentax q. Invaluable for those quick snapshots.

Last edited by dmort; 12-16-2012 at 09:34 PM.
12-17-2012, 08:23 AM   #25

Unless the weather changes dramatically it seems like you got lucky. Plenty of snow and moderately cold temperatures. Sun has been missing for a week or so, though.

Enjoy your stay.
12-17-2012, 04:21 PM   #26
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Yes - really looking forward to it. I'll be in Helsinki for 1 day/two nights and in turku for two days/two nights. My brother's fiancee is from Turku.
12-25-2012, 01:13 PM   #27
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thank you everyone for the advice and tips! I had a great, although rushed trip, to Helsinki and Turku. The 55mm f1.4 was my lens of choice for much of trip. Not only was it solid in the low light, its use as a portrait lens is just phenomenal. The 18-135 filled in the gaps along with my pentax q.

Thanks for the advice!