Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-28-2012, 11:35 AM   #1

Photos: Albums
Foreign particles in lens after Pentax Repair.

Hi all,

I just had my DA*50-135 lens repaired after a fall dislodged one of the inner elements. I had it sent from a reputable company here in Finland to Pentax Germany for the repair- as the Finnish company could not complete the order themselves.

Mechanically, the lens is working properly. However, there are many foreign particles inside of the lens. One of these particles is fairly large and visible- I'd say about 1-2mm across. The others are either dust, fine little thread-like pieces, or something else. This wouldn't bother me as much if the lens hadn't been taken apart to be repaired. Is it unreasonable to expect the technicians to clean the inside of the lens? What also bothers me is that this is supposed to be a weather sealed body. So having foreign particles resting inside of it is going to cause me to wonder whether or not the seals are working.

I've already had to send the repair company one email today because the lens hood has a broken thread- it locks securely when shooting, but it fails to lock properly when attached for storage. Even the smallest bump will dislodge it. The hood must have broken during shipping (which was handled by the company).

So before I send yet another complaint, what would be the best way to ascertain whether or not the image quality will be diminished by these foreign particles? Simply photographing a strong light source? A white wall?

Are my expectations too high? Am I being unreasonable?

08-28-2012, 12:44 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
You say you 'had it sent' by the Finnish company.

In that case your primary relationship is with the Finnish company, and they chose to outsource the activity to someone else. So approach them in relation to the possible damage during shipping, and also their choice of outsource supplier, who would appear to have not done the job properly.

Quite likely the outsource company does not have a relationship with you (because the Finnish company engaged their services), and so treats you as an outsider whom they will not answer.

Go to their shop with the lens so that the state of the lens can be discussed. It is much harder for them to 'put off' a real person in the shop than to delay answering an email because they are busy doing something else.