Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-29-2012, 03:53 AM   #1

Did I buy the wrong lens?

Hi guys,

I bought a used Pentax K200D as my first DSLR (previously only owned point and shoot cameras) which came with an 18-50mm zoom lens and a 100-200mm.

I bought this lens: eBay Australia: Buy new & used fashion, electronics & home d?r (Quantaray 1:2.8 28mm Prime wide angle lens Pentax K mount)

It's paid for and on it's way but I just noticed in the description they say "This lens is fit for all P/K mount 35mm Manual Pentax SLR film cameras" ... Will it even work on my DSLR? Or have I bought something useless?

Thanks so much,

Daniel

08-29-2012, 04:33 AM   #2
Ari
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yep - it'll work. It's a manual lens, though. And not a super - duper one at that, either
08-29-2012, 04:52 AM   #3
Veteran Member

It'll work but it'll take a little more work on your part to get acceptable pictures. You won't have to manually focus and you won't be able to control the aperture size using the control wheel.

You'll likely want to set the K200D's shooting dial to M (for "manual"). You adjust aperture by turning the aperture ring on the lens itself, then press the Green button to make the camera automatically set shutter speed.

If you think you'll be manually focusing a lot, I'd suggest you buy an aftermarket focusing screen. If not, then hopefully you didn't pay too much for that lens

Don't worry, I have a K200D and I manually focus a lot. I get results that I'm pleased with
08-29-2012, 05:00 AM   #4

Original Poster
Thanks, that's what I thought, glad you could confirm.

I always shoot in Manual anyway, and usually prefer to manually focus too, the auto-focus never seems to do exactly what I want. But I've never heard of a focusing screen - what's that do?

08-29-2012, 05:13 AM   #5
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Lens Advice

Hello Daniel,
The lens you linked will work on your DSLR, but you'll have to "help" it along, as in manual focusing, green button for aperture control, etc.
As others have mentioned, it's not a high-quality lens, not bad either. Average, you could say.
For future reference, you would be better off sticking to genuine Pentax lenses, or a quality 3rd party brand like Sigma, Tokina and most Vivitars. You may pay a little more but the results are worth it!
Fully manual lenses (like the "M" series in Pentax) are just what the name implies. Manual focus and manual aperture; that is, you set the F stop with the aperture ring and use the green button to shoot at the chosen F stop.
"A" series lenses have a small locking button (usually on the aperture ring) that allows the user to set the aperture with the thumb wheel on the camera. It also shows the chosen F Stop on the data info. These are manual focus, also.
"F", "FA" and "DA" lenses have full (generally) auto function. Auto Focus, auto aperture and most modes like Program, TaV, etc.
These letter designations only apply directly on Pentax lenses. For 3rd party lenses, you'll have to search a little harder to find out exactly what the lens is capable of. The lens reviews on this Forum will help considerably.
Good Luck!
Ron
08-29-2012, 05:24 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Good for you venturing out! There is absolutely nothing wrong with many Quantaray lenses, don't let folks tell you that ONLY X, Y, Z lenses are any good - that's just not true. You can look at the Sears club, or many other non-Big Name threads here to see that there are lots of very good lenses that are branded with lesser known names. Quantaray has put out many fine lenses that are cheap compared to the Genuine Pentax alternative (their 28-90 Macro is super, and their 100-300 zooms are very good and a LOT cheaper than the 55-300 which is superb).

I don't know about your camera but on all three of my Pentax cameras (K-x, K-r, and K-5) the first time I used a manual lens like the one you bought I had to go into the menus and allow the use of the Aperture ring (the numbers on the ring that moves nearest your camera when the lens is mounted). This allows you to set the aperture manually instead of the camera trying, and failing with that lens, to do so electronically.

People shot with manual lenses, and non-automatic apertures, for a very long time before automatic anything came along. It's more work but it is also a good way to learn your camera and the craft of photography a bit better.

Hope the lens is in great shape and you enjoy trying it out!
08-29-2012, 05:50 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
Good for you venturing out! There is absolutely nothing wrong with many Quantaray lenses, don't let folks tell you that ONLY X, Y, Z lenses are any good - that's just not true. You can look at the Sears club, or many other non-Big Name threads here to see that there are lots of very good lenses that are branded with lesser known names. Quantaray has put out many fine lenses that are cheap compared to the Genuine Pentax alternative (their 28-90 Macro is super, and their 100-300 zooms are very good and a LOT cheaper than the 55-300 which is superb).
What he said + your Quantaray 28mm might be a rebadged Sigma Mini Wide 28mm--a very decent 28mm.
08-29-2012, 06:28 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by djmundy Quote
I've never heard of a focusing screen - what's that do?
When you look through your viewfinder, you'll see various markings. Those markings are present on the focusing screen in order to help with composition or whatnot. The focusing screen exists to help you achieve proper focus, whether by micro-prism (out of focus objects are very out of focus), split screen (out of focus objects are out of alignment, not a very good explanation, I know), or both.

I think probably any SLR you've used has a focusing screen. The focusing screens for DSLRs these days are pretty bad, considering the prevalence of autofocus means that not so many people use manual focus.

08-29-2012, 07:07 PM   #9

Original Poster
Cool, sounds like something I should look into. So is an aftermarket focusing screen an easy / inexpensive upgrade?
08-30-2012, 03:22 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Cool, sounds like something I should look into. So is an aftermarket focusing screen an easy / inexpensive upgrade?
I found it pretty easy to replace. It does require some fine motor control though, and a somewhat dust-free workspace. You're looking at $70+ for price. Fairly cheap as far as photography gear goes.
08-30-2012, 03:59 AM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by causey Quote
What he said + your Quantaray 28mm might be a rebadged Sigma Mini Wide 28mm--a very decent 28mm.
Just so long as it is not a mini wide II, which suffers terribly from lateral CA

But that just proves a point, even a big name can produce a turkey, so there is nothing lost in picking up a lens to play with. The learning experience alone, is worth the money spent
08-30-2012, 04:04 AM   #12
Pentaxian

Depending on the focusing screen, any where from about $30 and up. I have ones from jinfinance in my *istD and K10D. The one in my *istD is a dual, 45 degree diagonal. I like the dual split because it shows more positively out of focus than a single split, but that is a personal thing.

The best screens are from katzeye, but they are more expensive.

Note, according to Rachel Katz, diagonal splits , or more importantly intersecting a line at a diagonal for focusing is not as accurate, and I tend to agree, but the dual diagonal makes this more apparent