Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-29-2012, 09:33 PM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I would get this:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/photographic-equipment-sale/194400-sale-t...a-adapter.html

I had one that looked just like that, got it back into shape to take filters and it was fine. Sold it and the new owner seems to like it too. I have the AF version now. It's very good at macro but also works as a 90mm prime, 9 blades, very well corrected wide open, easy to focus precisely. Look what people will pay for an 85. OK, not exactly the same but with some flexibility, it can do many things better. I like the dual-purpose nature of this lens. Here's a shot with mine, using flash:

08-30-2012, 07:55 AM   #17

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
I'm interested in this Cosina 100mm f3.5 macro. Can someone help me find one? Often with these used out of production lenses everyone mentions how easy they are to find cheap, yet I have a hell of a time. I'm not very eBay savvy...

Thanks!

Ken
08-30-2012, 10:02 AM   #18

I have the m42 version that I could part with but am not a paid member with access to the buy-sell program.Mine has the Phoenix brand but think they are the same.
08-30-2012, 10:56 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by grhazelton Quote
Don't forget the Vivitar/Cosina/Phoenix and maybe under the Pentax label 100mm f3.5 macro. It goes to 1:2 continuously then reaches 1:1 via a dedicated plus lens, which is probably an achromat. While I have the manual focus version, there is also, I think, an autofocus edition. Mine has an "A" on the diaphragm ring, so it talks to my K5. Yes, it is a "plastic fantastic" but is sharp, and not expensive. I bought mine new some years ago for about $100. Also makes a nice portrait lens.
I have the Promaster branded MF version. It's a terrific lens. Tack sharp, nice bokeh, and superb color rendering. I paid $60 for mine. The manual focus version is supposedly a little better build quality than the AF version, and for macro, you don't need AF anyway. So I actually prefer the MF version.

08-30-2012, 01:22 PM   #20
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Javaslinger Quote
I'm interested in this Cosina 100mm f3.5 macro. Can someone help me find one? Often with these used out of production lenses everyone mentions how easy they are to find cheap, yet I have a hell of a time. I'm not very eBay savvy...
Its best to try different search combinations and maybe not with exactly what the name of the lens is becuase that may not be how the seller listed it.
try:
Pentax macro lens
pentax macro 100mm
pentax macro 100mm f3.5
pentax cosina lens 100mm
pentax promaster macro . . . . . . and so on

You can eliminate options from the search by using the selections on the left of the screen
lenses only
prime lenses
and then narrow it by brands if you want.

look for other places that sell used gear too, a lot of people have a list of sites they check often for deals so sometimes you have to check a lot for a while to find what you want.
08-30-2012, 02:12 PM   #21
Site Supporter

I have sigma's 50mm f/2.8 and the Promaster AF 100/3.5. The Sigma does 1:1 but you get mighty close - so great for plants but not bugs. Searching for 100mm f/3.5 should bring up the cosina, then just watch for the pentax mount.
08-30-2012, 03:16 PM   #22
Veteran Member

I have an old Vivitar 55mm f/2.8 Macro that goes down to 1:1 magnification. It's a great lens but I just don't do much macro shooting (*cough* resisting urge for shameless plug of the marketplace listing for this very lens *cough*). They had similar 90mm lens which also goes to 1:1 if you'd rather have something that lets you get a little more distance between your subject and the camera. These lenses were both made by Komine and have serial numbers beginning with 28.

There's another Vivitar 90mm f/2.5 macro alternately called the Bokina (for its great bokeh). It was made by Tokina and sold in both Vivitar and Tokina versions. It had a matching adapter to go down to 1:1 magnification. Serial numbers for Tokina-made Vivitar lenses start with 37.