Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-29-2012, 09:20 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Why Takumar lenses are finest in the world......

Well, here is why........

08-29-2012, 09:51 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Isn't that coating on most if not all Pentax lenses today?
08-29-2012, 10:27 PM   #3
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Franky2step Quote
Isn't that coating on most if not all Pentax lenses today?
Yes, or at least a newer version of it. That's the SMC on the lenses.

I also notice that Hoya is promoting their filters as having SMC coating now. I assume they got the rights to the 'secret formula' as part of the Ricoh deal.

@Ultraviolet: Thanks for posting this, great to see a bit of history.
08-30-2012, 06:19 AM   #4
Site Supporter

How old is that article? "As recently as 1940..."?

08-30-2012, 07:56 AM   #5
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Erdž Quote
How old is that article? "As recently as 1940..."?
Super-Multi-Coated lenses were introduced in 1971...

So they are talking about advancements made in the previous 30 years, it even says so in the second paragraph.
09-02-2012, 08:39 PM   #6

Aren't they Radioactive ?
09-02-2012, 08:54 PM   #7
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by phansu123 Quote
Aren't they Radioactive ?
Some are made of thoriated glass which has a detectable radioactivity. From tests I have seen it is above background but not significant.

That has been discussed numerous times on this forum which you can easily find with a simple search. You have now asked the same question in three separate threads. May I respectfully suggest that you would get a better and more complete answer if you asked the question in your own thread? That way the answers are all in a thread that has an appropriate title that can be found in the future by someone searching, not buried in the middle of three threads about something else.
09-02-2012, 09:13 PM   #8

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
Some are made of thoriated glass which has a detectable radioactivity. From tests I have seen it is above background but not significant.

That has been discussed numerous times on this forum which you can easily find with a simple search. You have now asked the same question in three separate threads. May I respectfully suggest that you would get a better and more complete answer if you asked the question in your own thread? That way the answers are all in a thread that has an appropriate title that can be found in the future by someone searching, not buried in the middle of three threads about something else.
Agreed. Sorry about the multiple posts, I saw the word radio active and replied. I would appreciate if you can point me to that thread

09-02-2012, 09:23 PM   #9

Agreed. Sorry about the multiple posts, I saw the word radio active and replied. I would appreciate if you can point me to that thread
09-02-2012, 09:42 PM   #10
Site Supporter

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-film-slr-discussion/137774-how-rad...-takumars.html
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/12182-so-who-h...tive-lens.html
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/37246-some-tak...dioactive.html
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/119780-takumar...dioactive.html
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/194994-radioac...s-problem.html

There are probably a couple dozen more threads but that should get you started.

I understand your concern about having a baby around however the level of radioactivity is not much above background. Yes, it exists and no I would not put any of my Takumars under my pillow when I sleep every night. But we expose ourselves and our loved ones to other sources of potentially dangerous radiation everyday, cell phone, televisions, microwaves, and so on. And in the USA many areas have soil that is quite radioactive already from naturally occurring elements. Don't let the baby eat the lens and you will be fine.
09-03-2012, 07:22 AM   #11
Site Supporter

Don't let the baby eat the lens and you will be fine.
Eating the lens wouldn't be all that bad. It would pass through the digestive system much too quickly. Inhaling glass dust on the other hand...of course if you're inhaling glass dust you have bigger problems than the radioactivity.
09-03-2012, 07:44 AM   #12
Pentaxian

Just about all the Takumars are good lenses. I don't own a bad one, even the non multi coated versions. The SMC Taks were cutting edge when they came out. I remember reading reviews in the photo magazines in the early 70's where "the best lens ever made" was mentioned often and most of us lusted after them at the time. I couldn't afford any until the K mounts were in production and I bought a Spotmatic on sale and all the M42 stuff was on clearance.
09-03-2012, 07:49 AM   #13
Veteran Member

This is such old news. The fact is most modern lenses have better lens coatings than their legacy counterparts.
09-03-2012, 08:09 AM   #14
Site Supporter

I have a booklet here "Asahi Pentax Complete System of Photography."
Number 06101
It describes the new SMC and lists all the available lenses.
There were 3 types
"Super-Takumar", "SMC Takumar" and "UA-Takumar"

The UA-Takumars were "Ultra-Achomatic-Takumar 85 mm f/4.5" and "Ultra-Achomatic-Takumar 300 mm f/5.6"
These did not have glass elements; they had fluorite and quartz
The 85mm was corrected against chromatic aberration in range 230~ 1000um
The 300mm was corrected against chromatic aberration in range 400~ 850um

Also listed is "Asahi Pentax Ghostless Filter"
It was a curved UV filter and there is a diagram showing how it redirects bright reflections away from the film and onto the lens barrel.
09-03-2012, 08:22 AM   #15
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by wombat2go Quote
Number 06101
We are talking about the same booklet, I looked for the printing date but no date was mentioned.

QuoteOriginally posted by wombat2go Quote
"Asahi Pentax Ghostless Filter"
I have one of those and its good.