Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-03-2012, 06:21 AM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ve2vfd Quote
generally just hand carry the 60-250 + K5d + vertical grip and have the neck strap tied around my wrist.
Same here.

09-03-2012, 07:38 PM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ve2vfd Quote
I use a holster bag to store the camera too, but I generally just hand carry the 60-250 + K5d + vertical grip and have the neck strap tied around my wrist.

Pat
I would likely often do the same thing. However I usually have one or more of my kids with me, so having both hands free quickly is also a concern.

Thanks again for all the suggestions everyone. Once I figure out what to try next, I will report back in this thread.
09-05-2012, 04:51 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Most of the time I am shooting with a dedicated lens bag, so I am constantly switching things out, but for personal stuff and travel I usually go with my kata backpack and neck strap. The neck strap actually attaches to the backpack so my camera always ready, but both hands are free. I also almost always have the grip on, so with the 60-250 it is quite a large setup, but I have just gotten used to it.
11-03-2012, 06:02 AM   #19
Veteran Member

I find this a very comfortable way to carry the 60-250..

Attached Images

02-12-2013, 11:07 AM   #20
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by apisto Quote
I like using a black rapids strap to carry my camera/lens on the hip. I like that this keeps my hands free, but I can still get the camera up quickly for a shot. I do not use neck straps for obvious reasons. The black rapids has worked well for all the combos I have tried before, icluding the K-5/DA300, D700/Sigma 100-300, and so on.

But for the K-5 / 60-250 combo, it just doesnt seem to work. For one, although my copy of the 60-250 does not creep, the contact of my hip against the zoom ring when walking does cause lens extension sometimes. As well, and perhaps I am getting a bit OCD here, but the K-5/ 60-250 combo bounces about in an annoying way -- diffrent than the other mentioned combos. The other combos have a sort of cadence to the way the move when walking. The k5/60-250 is all over the place. I have also tried the foot in the reversed position.

For these reasons, I have to keep a hand on the lens when walking, all the time, which defeats the purpose of the set up. I am interested in finding out what ways other 60-250 owners carry the lens when it is "out of the bag."
I love my Cotton Carrier for lugging a camera around while hiking................It's almost as if there isn't any weight to the gear at all, it's so well distributed. In this photo I have the strap over the lens (velcro) but I dont usually use it unless I might be climbing or moving quickly.

It can get a little warm in hot weather but thats the only drawback I found.

The only problem if I were buying today the cost has gone way up in the past two years. I think I paid $69 and now it's $179....

I paddle my kayak wearing this.......the camera is just rotated 90 degrees and it slides up and out for quick use.
Attached Images

03-13-2013, 12:39 AM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by selar Quote
I know its not a strap, but the Lowepro - Toploader Pro 75 AW appears to be a safer and more practical way of carrying.
This looks like a great (but extremely expensive) solution. I like it.
03-13-2013, 12:49 AM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleRed Quote
I love my Cotton Carrier for lugging a camera around while hiking................It's almost as if there isn't any weight to the gear at all, it's so well distributed. In this photo I have the strap over the lens (velcro) but I dont usually use it unless I might be climbing or moving quickly.

It can get a little warm in hot weather but thats the only drawback I found.

The only problem if I were buying today the cost has gone way up in the past two years. I think I paid $69 and now it's $179....

I paddle my kayak wearing this.......the camera is just rotated 90 degrees and it slides up and out for quick use.
Wow, this seems like a great way to go as well.

03-13-2013, 04:50 AM   #23
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I've never used that lens "always mounted" when walking around a lot. When staying put, I usually use my monopod, and when moving a bit, just a good Kata neoprene neck strap has been working for me.

QuoteOriginally posted by blackcloudbrew Quote
I don't have (sadly) the DA*60-250 but I do have the Tamron 70-200 which I believe is similar in size and bulk (it might be a tad lighter)
The 60-250 is lighterr, but not by much. It's the lightest on this range.
03-13-2013, 05:42 AM   #24
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by apisto Quote
How do you carry your 60-250 at the ready
I was gonna say mounted on the camera, but I guess that's not what your looking for.

Any big lenses I use are always mounted vertically lens down, body attached and up, so I can just reach in and grab and that applies to both my Crumpler and Peli.
12-30-2017, 03:25 AM   #25

Sun Sniper

I love my Sun Sniper strap (with Rotaball) that slings the camera diagonally and just allows the camera to slide up the strap when needed without the strap having to move. It also has elastic shock absorber sections and a steel core to prevent it being cut by a thief.
I always have it connected to the camera triod mount - I know that people say the weight of the lens hanging from the camera mount is an issue, but the weight of the lens is barely different from the weight of the K1 body, so the stress on the mount is the same either way and ergonomics becomes the deciding factor.
12-30-2017, 01:49 PM   #26
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by GDRoth Quote
I use a similar Op-Tech strap, but one that attaches to the side lugs.............it still slides up easily.............
I don't have the type of lens the OP was asking about

however my cameras have the Optech USA utility strap attached to the right upper attachment point and the camera lens hangs down toward my right hip

it doesn't matter which lens I have on my camera

I can adjust how far down my side it hangs by just pulling on the strap's end.

I also have the Joby Ultrafit Hand Strap and Ultra Plate which attaches to the same attachment point and at the tripod attachment point

I often carry my D FA 150 - 450mm and/or D FA * 70-200mm 2.8 hanging at my hip and place my hand into the grip to help monitor any swinging. I also will place the lens cross body holding it in the crease of my folded left arm to help with the weight as a change of pace

as a final safety back up, I have the Joby Camera Safety Tether attached to the other upper attachment point and I can secure that to the utility strap in case the quick release connection of the utility strap would fail.