Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-03-2012, 06:21 AM   #16
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ve2vfd Quote
generally just hand carry the 60-250 + K5d + vertical grip and have the neck strap tied around my wrist.
Same here.

09-03-2012, 07:38 PM   #17
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ve2vfd Quote
I use a holster bag to store the camera too, but I generally just hand carry the 60-250 + K5d + vertical grip and have the neck strap tied around my wrist.

Pat
I would likely often do the same thing. However I usually have one or more of my kids with me, so having both hands free quickly is also a concern.

Thanks again for all the suggestions everyone. Once I figure out what to try next, I will report back in this thread.
09-05-2012, 04:51 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Most of the time I am shooting with a dedicated lens bag, so I am constantly switching things out, but for personal stuff and travel I usually go with my kata backpack and neck strap. The neck strap actually attaches to the backpack so my camera always ready, but both hands are free. I also almost always have the grip on, so with the 60-250 it is quite a large setup, but I have just gotten used to it.
11-03-2012, 06:02 AM   #19
Veteran Member

I find this a very comfortable way to carry the 60-250..

Attached Images

02-12-2013, 11:07 AM   #20
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by apisto Quote
I like using a black rapids strap to carry my camera/lens on the hip. I like that this keeps my hands free, but I can still get the camera up quickly for a shot. I do not use neck straps for obvious reasons. The black rapids has worked well for all the combos I have tried before, icluding the K-5/DA300, D700/Sigma 100-300, and so on.

But for the K-5 / 60-250 combo, it just doesnt seem to work. For one, although my copy of the 60-250 does not creep, the contact of my hip against the zoom ring when walking does cause lens extension sometimes. As well, and perhaps I am getting a bit OCD here, but the K-5/ 60-250 combo bounces about in an annoying way -- diffrent than the other mentioned combos. The other combos have a sort of cadence to the way the move when walking. The k5/60-250 is all over the place. I have also tried the foot in the reversed position.

For these reasons, I have to keep a hand on the lens when walking, all the time, which defeats the purpose of the set up. I am interested in finding out what ways other 60-250 owners carry the lens when it is "out of the bag."
I love my Cotton Carrier for lugging a camera around while hiking................It's almost as if there isn't any weight to the gear at all, it's so well distributed. In this photo I have the strap over the lens (velcro) but I dont usually use it unless I might be climbing or moving quickly.

It can get a little warm in hot weather but thats the only drawback I found.

The only problem if I were buying today the cost has gone way up in the past two years. I think I paid $69 and now it's $179....

I paddle my kayak wearing this.......the camera is just rotated 90 degrees and it slides up and out for quick use.
Attached Images

03-13-2013, 12:39 AM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by selar Quote
I know its not a strap, but the Lowepro - Toploader Pro 75 AW appears to be a safer and more practical way of carrying.
This looks like a great (but extremely expensive) solution. I like it.
03-13-2013, 12:49 AM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleRed Quote
I love my Cotton Carrier for lugging a camera around while hiking................It's almost as if there isn't any weight to the gear at all, it's so well distributed. In this photo I have the strap over the lens (velcro) but I dont usually use it unless I might be climbing or moving quickly.

It can get a little warm in hot weather but thats the only drawback I found.

The only problem if I were buying today the cost has gone way up in the past two years. I think I paid $69 and now it's $179....

I paddle my kayak wearing this.......the camera is just rotated 90 degrees and it slides up and out for quick use.
Wow, this seems like a great way to go as well.
03-13-2013, 04:50 AM   #23
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I've never used that lens "always mounted" when walking around a lot. When staying put, I usually use my monopod, and when moving a bit, just a good Kata neoprene neck strap has been working for me.

QuoteOriginally posted by blackcloudbrew Quote
I don't have (sadly) the DA*60-250 but I do have the Tamron 70-200 which I believe is similar in size and bulk (it might be a tad lighter)
The 60-250 is lighterr, but not by much. It's the lightest on this range.

03-13-2013, 05:42 AM   #24
Moderator PEG Judges

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by apisto Quote
How do you carry your 60-250 at the ready
I was gonna say mounted on the camera, but I guess that's not what your looking for.

Any big lenses I use are always mounted vertically lens down, body attached and up, so I can just reach in and grab and that applies to both my Crumpler and Peli.