Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-30-2012, 10:49 AM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

DA* 60-250 owners: How do you carry your 60-250 at the ready?

I like using a black rapids strap to carry my camera/lens on the hip. I like that this keeps my hands free, but I can still get the camera up quickly for a shot. I do not use neck straps for obvious reasons. The black rapids has worked well for all the combos I have tried before, icluding the K-5/DA300, D700/Sigma 100-300, and so on.

But for the K-5 / 60-250 combo, it just doesnt seem to work. For one, although my copy of the 60-250 does not creep, the contact of my hip against the zoom ring when walking does cause lens extension sometimes. As well, and perhaps I am getting a bit OCD here, but the K-5/ 60-250 combo bounces about in an annoying way -- diffrent than the other mentioned combos. The other combos have a sort of cadence to the way the move when walking. The k5/60-250 is all over the place. I have also tried the foot in the reversed position.

For these reasons, I have to keep a hand on the lens when walking, all the time, which defeats the purpose of the set up. I am interested in finding out what ways other 60-250 owners carry the lens when it is "out of the bag."

08-30-2012, 11:16 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Is this the strap that hangs from the tripod mounting area on the bottom of the camera?
08-30-2012, 11:20 AM   #3
Banned

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by GDRoth Quote
Is this the strap that hangs from the tripod mounting area on the bottom of the camera?
Not a good idea to use the camera one at all while that lens is attached to any pentax body. It would overstress both the camera mount and lens mount - take your pick as to which one would give way first. The 60-250 if and when used on a tripod is always meant to be tripod/unipod mounted at the lens collar only.
08-30-2012, 11:58 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I don't have (sadly) the DA*60-250 but I do have the Tamron 70-200 which I believe is similar in size and bulk (it might be a tad lighter). I use black rapid R straps a lot and with my Tammy I kinda go either way, i.e., I'll connect the R strap to the lens tripod mount on the lens or to the camera. I find that when connected to the lens mount the camera tends to hang more level (and balanced) on my side while, when it's to the body the lens-camera hangs straight down; I do tend prefer the straight down mode but I've also realized that it's probably better (for the camera) when it's balanced at the lens mount. Oh, one thing to point out here is that my K5 almost always has the BG-4 base attached to it. I would also say that the K5 + base + Tammy is about as much as my neck wants to carry regardless of how it hangs and too, while I seldom have to adjust the R strap's length, sometimes I do given what's hanging from it and where I'm going with it, and of course how you adjust the bumps on the strap can affect how your load behaves.

08-30-2012, 12:02 PM   #5
Veteran Member

I use a similar Op-Tech strap, but one that attaches to the side lugs.............it still slides up easily.............
08-30-2012, 02:12 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Medium FormatPro Quote
Not a good idea to use the camera one at all while that lens is attached to any pentax body. It would overstress both the camera mount and lens mount - take your pick as to which one would give way first. The 60-250 if and when used on a tripod is always meant to be tripod/unipod mounted at the lens collar only.
I have always attached the black rapids lug to the foot. Sometimes I reverse the foot to get the atachment point closer to the body, however.

QuoteOriginally posted by blackcloudbrew Quote
I don't have (sadly) the DA*60-250 but I do have the Tamron 70-200 which I believe is similar in size and bulk (it might be a tad lighter). I use black rapid R straps a lot and with my Tammy I kinda go either way, i.e., I'll connect the R strap to the lens tripod mount on the lens or to the camera. I find that when connected to the lens mount the camera tends to hang more level (and balanced) on my side while, when it's to the body the lens-camera hangs straight down; I do tend prefer the straight down mode but I've also realized that it's probably better (for the camera) when it's balanced at the lens mount. Oh, one thing to point out here is that my K5 almost always has the BG-4 base attached to it. I would also say that the K5 + base + Tammy is about as much as my neck wants to carry regardless of how it hangs and too, while I seldom have to adjust the R strap's length, sometimes I do given what's hanging from it and where I'm going with it, and of course how you adjust the bumps on the strap can affect how your load behaves.
Yes, I clearly need to experiment more with how to carry my K-5/60-250 in this situation. This combo just kinda flips around every which way when I walk. The K-5/DA300 and D700/Sigma 100-300 combos would tend to hug my hip on their own more consistantly. I have thought of trying the grip as you mentioned, but I have not so far due to the expense.

I use a similar Op-Tech strap, but one that attaches to the side lugs.............it still slides up easily.............
I should take a look at this one. It would be great if it would kep the zoom ring from rubbing against my side/hip and slowly zooming out on it's own.
08-30-2012, 03:28 PM   #7
Veteran Member

I know its not a strap, but the Lowepro - Toploader Pro 75 AW appears to be a safer and more practical way of carrying.

08-30-2012, 05:59 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by selar Quote
I know its not a strap, but the Lowepro - Toploader Pro 75 AW appears to be a safer and more practical way of carrying.

Probably is, but not great for quick shooting unless you use it without the hood.

The K-5 w/grip w/60-250 fit perfectly in this bad, but only with no hood or the hood reversed. It will not fit properly with the hood in the fixed shooting position.

I have this bag and love it since it is a perfect fit thought.
08-30-2012, 06:11 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by selar Quote
QuoteOriginally posted by stormtech Quote
Probably is, but not great for quick shooting unless you use it without the hood.

The K-5 w/grip w/60-250 fit perfectly in this bad, but only with no hood or the hood reversed. It will not fit properly with the hood in the fixed shooting position.

I have this bag and love it since it is a perfect fit thought.
This type of bag is a good idea. I could try a collapsible hood. It would look pretty silly, but who cares.

I think a strap like this one: Pentax DSLR Leather Hand Strap 85101 B&H Photo Video
might go well with the toploader.
08-30-2012, 06:30 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by apisto Quote
This type of bag is a good idea. I could try a collapsible hood. It would look pretty silly, but who cares.

I think a strap like this one: Pentax DSLR Leather Hand Strap 85101 B&H Photo Video
might go well with the toploader.
Well, I am kind of a hood fanatic - actually I kind of cringe when I see my wife using any of the lenses without a hood......

But, it would be easy enough to just place the hood reversed loose in the bottom of the bag, the the end of the lens would just be resting on it like that. I thought of that since that is how the Sigma EX lenses come shipped in their case - hood is loose in the bottom of the case with the lens just resting on it in the bag. There are a lot of shots that don't require a hood, but if you need it on, it would be as simple as reaching in the bag and snapping it on.

Funny you mention that hand strap - I just received a different hand strap that I will be trying over the weekend:

Camdapter - The Hand Strap

Anyway, the 75AW is a fantastic bag that I am very happy with.
08-30-2012, 06:55 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stormtech Quote
Well, I am kind of a hood fanatic - actually I kind of cringe when I see my wife using any of the lenses without a hood......

But, it would be easy enough to just place the hood reversed loose in the bottom of the bag, the the end of the lens would just be resting on it like that. I thought of that since that is how the Sigma EX lenses come shipped in their case - hood is loose in the bottom of the case with the lens just resting on it in the bag. There are a lot of shots that don't require a hood, but if you need it on, it would be as simple as reaching in the bag and snapping it on.

Funny you mention that hand strap - I just received a different hand strap that I will be trying over the weekend:

Camdapter - The Hand Strap

Anyway, the 75AW is a fantastic bag that I am very happy with.

I don't feel right with a hoodless lens either. I even have a hood from a DA40 on my FA50/1.7.

I might be a little leery about putting the hood loose in the bottom of the bag. I would be afraid the attachment tabs on the hood could be damaged. I have a strong imagination!

Perhaps one of the Think Tank expandable holsters might work well too, then I could use it for my DA*300 as well.
08-30-2012, 07:37 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Good idea. I hardly ever have the need to be out and about for a long time with any gear hanging on me as I am usually very near either my house or truck. For me, the holster bag works quite well. I just leave the hood reversed on the lens in the bag, and when I pull it out simply reverse the hood. Of course, that wouldn't work in a situation where you need to be really ready for that quick shot. Me, I'm not so quick anymore with anything, so it works well for me.
08-31-2012, 12:25 AM   #13
Veteran Member

I don't have the 60-250 but I like this holster style bag.

Mountainsmith

Because of its shape it can accomodate a lot of camera/lens options. It has a taper to it so when I have a smaller lens on the sides of the camera rest against the sides of the bag and then with a bigger lens that touches the bottom that is where the contact is and it has no problem with a camera body with the grip attached.
I've also put a lens case in the bottom of the bag for a secon lens and then put the camera/lens combo on top of that and the lid closes easily.
08-31-2012, 06:44 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Carry Speed FS-Pro, $69:

Note, the Carry Speed base plate allows connection to a tripod without removing the strap.
Note 2, I don't have an FS-Pro, I have a CS-Pro and I like it a lot.
09-02-2012, 10:42 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I use a holster bag to store the camera too, but I generally just hand carry the 60-250 + K5d + vertical grip and have the neck strap tied around my wrist.

Pat