Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-31-2012, 12:03 PM   #1
Inactive Account

50-135 f/2.8 Action photo samples ? Anyone ?

I've been doing some research and everyone rants & raves about the AF speed of the sigma 70-200. I saw one web article that did a speed test comparison on the AF speeds of the Tamron 70-200 & Sigma 70-200. The Sigma was nearly twice as fast. Beat the Tamron by almost half a second. I'm just curious where the 50-135 falls in the mix. I obviously wouldn't try to do any pro or college sport photography (not like they're offering, anyways). But I would like to know if it's fast enough to shoot a local high school game, or a little league game. There's a local MMA Gym that I'm in talks with to shoot their next event. What kind of performance can I expect for these types of things ? Does anyone have any action photo samples they care to share ? Could be anything... kids running around, little league game, etc etc etc. I looked on pixel peeper.com and pretty much all of the ones on there are portraits. There were a couple action shots, but not many. Any help or input on this topic would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

08-31-2012, 12:18 PM   #2

Photos: Albums
If you pre-focus and plan the action, it can do well, when the light is good. For an inside event, with my k-x, it would be pushing the setup imho.

08-31-2012, 12:36 PM   #3
Pentaxian

When I get home I can post some High School Track. In the meantime. Here is link to flickr and some middle school track and football. keep in mind these were were taken with k-10d. I find the k-5 and 50-135 to meet my needs for action. Since the photos below were taken I've also started using a monopod and improved my technique.
Brian Track - a set on Flickr
Seahawks Vs. Saints G2 - a set on Flickr
08-31-2012, 12:43 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
My K-5 and DA* 50-135 f2.8 AF Speed testing. Sorry for the shake, I tried keeping as still as I could but this phone really sucks, Galaxy S2 video recorder.

Some darker low light shot, wide-open f2.8, with good AF. Slightly pp'd to remove blue casting over white car. Added small unsharp mask, but you can already tell this shot was already sharp before the PP. Don't worry about the flare underneath both headlights, I used a cheap UV filter on this shot; of course I replaced the cheapo UV filter right away after seeing this shot.

Last edited by LeDave; 08-31-2012 at 01:01 PM.
08-31-2012, 02:44 PM   #5
Inactive Account

Original Poster
I guess I should've mentioned in my original post, I also have a K-5. The pics of the race cars look great. No blur what so ever. Super sharp.
08-31-2012, 02:49 PM   #6
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Dice Quote
When I get home I can post some High School Track. In the meantime. Here is link to flickr and some middle school track and football. keep in mind these were were taken with k-10d. I find the k-5 and 50-135 to meet my needs for action. Since the photos below were taken I've also started using a monopod and improved my technique.
Brian Track - a set on Flickr
Seahawks Vs. Saints G2 - a set on Flickr
All of your pictures look great. That performance right there would be perfect for me. My nephew is 7 and plays little league baseball. If I can just get close enough to get some good shots of him batting or throwing, then I'd be thrilled. If all these were shot with your K-10d, I'm anxious to see your K-5 shots. Thanks for posting ! They look great. I'm also curious to know what your technique is. Do you have to pre focus, or is the lens fast enough to just throw it up at the moment of action , focus & fire ?