Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-01-2012, 03:42 PM   #1
Forum Member

How much does a Aus Jena DDR Tessar 50mm f/2.8 worth?

Hello guys, so I saw a Zebra version of this lens on ebay for $50. Is it a fair price?
http://i.ebayimg.com/t/Aus-Jena-Carl-Zeiss-DDR-Tessar-50mm-f-2-8-Zebra-lens-M42-screw-mount-/00/s/Nzk3WDEyMDA=/$T2eC16hHJHEE9ny2tk43BQOUn+fTs!~~60_57.JPG

09-01-2012, 04:47 PM   #2
Pentaxian

I don't know about prices in your country or in the US.

In Germany, a used Zebra version in good condition from one of the bigger shops with 1 year of warranty sells for the equivalent of about $75, shipping (domestical) included.

I also had a look at auctions on German eBay. During the last weeks auctions ended ranging from $20 to $70 plus shipping - but I do not know about the state of these lenses, and usually the sellers don't take it back, except if it turns out to be completely broken.
09-01-2012, 06:42 PM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
The difference from 20-70 is not small. Is that including broken? The condition of the one I saw is very good except oil on the blades which I think I could clean up since I have some experience cleaning lenses already.
Would a Zebra or black version cost more?
09-03-2012, 03:38 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Sorry for the delay. None of the lenses was marked as broken, I could not find a rule whether the black ones or the Zebras are more expensive, but the black ones with the better coatings (red T) were a bit more expensive. Keep in mind that there are still very high numbers of these lenses in former East Germany which now, step by step, find their new owners.

Zebra versions in mint condition would probably be higher, because of the age (and the fact most buyers will be collectors rather than users). To me it seems the price depended more on the date/time of the ending of the auction.

It is well known that on German eBay any photographic equipment (and also some other items) get MUCH higher biddings if the auction ends on Sunday 15-22 local time. The sellers have adapted to this fact, and often there are more auctions ending during these 7 hours than during the other 6 days+17 hours.

EDIT: I have no answer to your initial question (whether $50 is too much). If I wanted ths lens myself, and it wasn't urgent, I myself would just wait and be sure I could get one within 3 months for $30 or less. But I am not sure about the situation outside Germany.

09-03-2012, 10:28 PM   #5
Forum Member

Original Poster
Its ok. Appreciate the reply. Wish I could get it for $30 but I has been checking US ebay for about a month and I never see any Carl Zeiss bidding ending less than $50 so I might settle on that price.