Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-02-2012, 09:46 PM   #16
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by phansu123 Quote
There are numerous videos on YouTube with them showing high readings. If the non takumer lenses are not radio active aren't those a better bet.
High compared to what? Just because the Geiger counter makes all kinds of scary clicking noises doesn't mean it is highly radioactive, it just means it is higher than the background level. If you went around all day with a Geiger counter you might go insane, we're surrounded by radiation, you're even slightly radioactive yourself due to potassium. Unless you're well educated as to exactly what the counts mean, then it isn't very useful knowing what they are. I doubt a lot of the people making the videos on Youtube even know what they mean.

You'll also notice in those videos that unless the probe is right near the element, it isn't showing much of anything. About 1 inch of air is enough to shield you from the radiation given off by a Super Takumar, your skin is also a pretty good shield too.

If you feel safer by not owning a Takumar, that is fine, more for me.

09-02-2012, 10:15 PM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
There are numerous videos on YouTube with them showing high readings.
Lots of things on youtube, does not mean they are true or make any sense. From what I saw you needed to have the probe right up against the lens to get a reaction. And since we do not know what the settings were on the counter what does that mean? Take a reading against any concrete wall in the country and you will get similar readings. Stand down wind of a coal burning power plant, go into just about any basement in the central US, hold the probe against a smoke detector, you will get a similar reaction.

Why are you so worried? If you have a concern don't buy one, there are lots of other lenses out there.

You do not say what equipment you have but you do realize that the last camera to use these lenses natively was made in 1976? And that you have to use an adapter to make them work on modern cameras?
09-02-2012, 10:18 PM   #18

QuoteOriginally posted by elliott Quote
I wouldn't exactly say it fits, it can be used with caution by force fitting it, but I wouldn't recommend doing it because it doesn't lock securely.
That's right but let's say for me it is enough safe

QuoteOriginally posted by LesDMess Quote
Where are these test results available for review?
In the link posted in the beginning of this thread .
09-02-2012, 10:34 PM   #19

Photos: Gallery
I totally understand the technicalities and the amount of radiation we all go through. I have also seen the m42 to k mount adapter. I currently just have a k-5, Metz 50 af 1 and the 18-55mm kit lens. I just wanted to hear opinions. It seems that only the Takumar are radioactive, the regular smc coated manual lenses are not

09-02-2012, 10:58 PM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It seems that only the Takumar are radioactive, the regular smc coated manual lenses are not
Only a few of the Takumars are thoriated for that matter. Unless you have some reason to want to try old lenses, you might be better off with later models and staying with k-mount. For manual focus, the Pentax-A series works almost like a modern lens except for the focus. Pentax-M and 'K' are all manual and not as easy to use. Pentax-F, FA, DFA, and DA series all will work on your camera just like your kit lens.

If you want to try manual lenses look for a Pentax-A 50mm f/2. Not the best but quite cheap and it will give good results, a good way to try manual lenses out. If you want a better one the Pentax-A 50mm f/1.4 is quite good and goes for maybe $125. You will get all kinds of arguments about which lens is better but a lot of it is subjective, there are dozens of good manual lenses available, and most of them are not radioactive.
09-02-2012, 11:07 PM   #21
Veteran Member

yeah just buy a new one, so i can slowly collect all the older pieces of glass.....

MMMMMMMMMHahahahahahahahahaa
09-03-2012, 05:33 AM   #22
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by simbon4o Quote
In the link posted in the beginning of this thread .
QuoteQuote:
If we stick with the fast 50s - in terms of wide open sharpness all of my 50s (look in the signature - SMC-PENTAX-FA 50 1.4 / SMC-PENTAX-M 50 1.7 / CZJ MC Pancolar 50 1.8 / KMZ Zenitar-M 50 1.7) are sharper wide open than my FA 50 1.4 and have more pleasing bokeh!
What about your lenses?

09-03-2012, 06:42 AM   #23
Veteran Member

I used an M50/1.7 as my main normal lens for several years and liked it quite a lot but I felt my old SMC Tak 50/1.4 offered a better quality of image. My opinion, of course. Looking through the test results of the three current Pentax 50mm lens in that article I'd pick the FA50/1.4.

Back in the day, Pentax offered two or three 50mm lenses as kit lenses for their cameras with differing price points using differing lens formulas with the F1.4 lenses being rather expensive. They are indeed different lenses. I'd suggest a person look past the price for any new or used 50mm Pentax lens and pick based on the image quality found most pleasing. I found my M50/1.7 in mint condition for $34 US at my local camera shop so price doesn't have to be a major factor. My first 50mm lens was the Pentax M50/2 which was included in my K1000 kit and I used that lens for the better part of 15 years - I'd describe it as having the somewhat wonky and busy wide open out-of-focus look of the 50mm Nikon lenses (out of focus trees in backgrounds looked awful) but without the super sharp bite of the in-focus areas. Also, the M50/2 aperture blades were practically straight and produced noticeable and distracting aperture-shaped flare points and out-of-focus shapes in an image when the lens was used at moderate aperture values. If I were to buy a used Pentax 50mm today I'd pick either the A50/1.4 or M50/1.4.
09-03-2012, 06:53 AM   #24
Veteran Member

Many 50's there are, all good I believe to be. Exceptional should be the K/A 50/1.2, never tried it though, that is the myth.
09-03-2012, 08:15 AM   #25

QuoteOriginally posted by Pablom Quote
Many 50's there are, all good I believe to be. Exceptional should be the K/A 50/1.2, never tried it though, that is the myth.
I find it to be a good lens
09-03-2012, 08:42 AM   #26
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
You do not say what equipment you have but you do realize that the last camera to use these lenses natively was made in 1976?
The Bessaflex TM was produced within the last decade:

Voigtlander Bessaflex TM
09-03-2012, 09:42 AM   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by lytrytyr Quote
The Bessaflex TM was produced within the last decade:
Interesting, I had no idea anyone had produced an M42 camera this late. It says discontinued so I assume it was not a best seller?
09-03-2012, 10:09 AM   #28

Thanks guys for you input. After reading about the radioactivity about the takumar lenses I was planning on gertting the A50/1.4 or M50/1.4, but now I may even get a Takumar. Sorry simbon4o and tromboads, may be one less lens for you
09-03-2012, 10:18 AM   #29
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
Interesting, I had no idea anyone had produced an M42 camera this late. It says discontinued so I assume it was not a best seller?
There's some discussion of it here:

Where did the BessaFlex TM go?

Cosina seem to have concentrated on lenses now,
under the Zeiss and Voigtlaender brands.

The "Topcor" replica for the M42 mount
morphed into the Voigtlaender Nokton 58/1.4.
One of the best fifty-something (MF) lenses out there, IMHO.
09-03-2012, 11:51 AM   #30

QuoteOriginally posted by LesDMess Quote
What about your lenses?
I've said it - all of them are sharper and with more pleasing bokeh than FA 50 1.4.