Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-01-2012, 10:07 PM   #1

Will the bubble in my lens affect image quality?

Will the bubble in my lens affect image quality? It's rather big, maybe like 2mm...

PICTURES:
Photo Album - Imgur

09-01-2012, 10:51 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Why not try a few shots and see? Lightplay can be quirky as hell. That said, being on the rear element I'd side with a 'probably yes' on this one, unfortunately.
09-01-2012, 10:52 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It look like its cleanable to me?
09-01-2012, 11:02 PM   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by bdparker Quote
It look like its cleanable to me?
It looks like a ding to me between the glass (like you'd see in your windshield), but I could be mis-seeing it.

09-01-2012, 11:31 PM   #5
Zav
Pentaxian

It doesn't look like a bubble to me. 2mm on the rear element => most probably, yes.
09-02-2012, 01:27 AM   #6
Veteran Member

If this is a bubble or similar non-superficial flaw, send the lens back to the seller. Or ask for some money back to compensate.
09-02-2012, 03:30 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Possibly, just because it is on the rear element. Stop down to f22 and shoot the sky or something like that -- see if you get a blob. Doubt you'd see anything at f8 or wider...

09-02-2012, 04:58 AM   #8
Banned

Photos: Albums
Also it just depends on the lens. I've seen items a fraction of 1mm and also out of the image still clearly effect the image results. When light "waves" hit something like this they just go crazy. ...And as noted above; it may or may not appear in the sky shots at certain aperatures, but also will indeed show depending what type of other light sources may be in the pic.

I've seen shots where the light does not appear in the viewfinder/screen, but also where even a 25w bulb destroys the pic. I'd also try taking pics of items like candles, moon at different phases, etc... You'd be unfortunately suprised at how little damage it takes to very obviously effect an image
09-02-2012, 05:26 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Looking at the reflections and dust across the element in both images, I still think is a stain/fungus spot in the inside of the element, unless the rear element is a sandwich setup which I dough and the corrupting is between the elements, I still reckon its cleanable.