Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-31-2008, 03:19 PM   #16

Photos: Gallery | Albums
That is one freakin' behemoth of a lens. That thing makes the Bigma look like a pea-shooter.

01-31-2008, 03:30 PM   #17
Veteran Member

I think then that the Bazookma nickname is more than apt.

from now on we will refer to it as the bazookma. LOL
01-31-2008, 03:40 PM   #18
Veteran Member

what was wrong with the original name?

"rambo's bigma"
01-31-2008, 03:45 PM   #19
Veteran Member

too long winded, does not flow from the tongue. LOL

01-31-2008, 04:08 PM   #20
Veteran Member

...they should've made it in M42.
01-31-2008, 04:27 PM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by OniFactor Quote
...they should've made it in M42.
Its a shame, as I could have put it on my Praktica MTL5B LOL
01-31-2008, 04:33 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
One thing I noticed in that article is that Sigma didn't list the mounts that they'd be making this lens for or the MSRP.

Now assuming that they do make this one in a Pentax mount, I don't think those of you who are married are going to be able to sneak this one past your wives (the box outside the front door waiting for you will definitely get noticed). If she were to ask you how much it cost, I would find it hard to believe that you could convince her that this lens cost you $100, as opposed to the $10,000 that it may very well cost, even if she doesn't know a thing about camera gear. Even if you were able to convince her that this lens cost a lot more than you told her and she finds out the truth later, that lens may very well be spending it's evenings on her side of the bed.

Even if your wife was OK with you buying this lens, I would speculate that most of you would have to get a second job to finance the purchase of this lens.

Needless to say, I think whoever would get this lens would be a single guy with a lot of money to blow on gear (for obvious reasons).

Needless to say, at least dreaming and drooling are free.

Heather
(whose husband thinks that $200 is expensive for a lens...)

01-31-2008, 04:34 PM   #23
Veteran Member

Would love to own that one day ... No pentax mount at the moment anyway. Something to buy and stack in the cupboard.
01-31-2008, 04:35 PM   #24
Veteran Member

Heather, I am single, but can you lend me the money? LOL
01-31-2008, 04:41 PM   #25

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by hwblanks Quote
One thing I noticed in that article is that Sigma didn't list the mounts that they'd be making this lens for or the MSRP.

Now assuming that they do make this one in a Pentax mount, I don't think those of you who are married are going to be able to sneak this one past your wives (the box outside the front door waiting for you will definitely get noticed). If she were to ask you how much it cost, I would find it hard to believe that you could convince her that this lens cost you $100, as opposed to the $10,000 that it may very well cost, even if she doesn't know a thing about camera gear. Even if you were able to convince her that this lens cost a lot more than you told her and she finds out the truth later, that lens may very well be spending it's evenings on her side of the bed.

Even if your wife was OK with you buying this lens, I would speculate that most of you would have to get a second job to finance the purchase of this lens.

Needless to say, I think whoever would get this lens would be a single guy with a lot of money to blow on gear (for obvious reasons).

Heather
This lens is definitely in the category of: If you have to ask, you can't afford it
01-31-2008, 05:07 PM   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Finally some specs!!

Sigma announced their intent to build this lens several months ago - around October of 2007, IIRC... Definitely for those not weak in the wallet...

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
I saw in the market place a FA 400 2.8 and the seller wanted about $6K for that.
Lowell, now you've got my curiousity... I've never heard or seen of the lens you refer to? I know Pentax made an A* 400/2.8, and the FA* (longer) telephotos were the FA* 300/2.8 and the FA* 600/4.

Were you thinking of the F* 600/4 for $5800 in the Marketplace? I am referring to this one:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/photographer-s-marketplace/18978-f-600-mm-f4.html

Regards,
Marc
02-01-2008, 10:22 AM   #27
Veteran Member

Other than robbing a bank...

...where in the world am I going to get the money to loan to you for this lens? If I did have the money to afford this lens, then I would definitely consider renting it out to you.

You have to remember, I am married to a guy who thinks $200 is expensive for a lens, so even if we did have the money, I'd have a hard time getting that one by him (Him: What? I could put that kind of money towards my new car!).

Heather

QuoteOriginally posted by offertonhatter Quote
Heather, I am single, but can you lend me the money? LOL
02-01-2008, 10:30 AM   #28
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by hwblanks Quote

Heather
I think it says it will be for Sigma, Nikon and Canon. I could be missing something though.
02-01-2008, 11:15 AM   #29
Veteran Member

I'm looking at that thing and thinking there should be a pair of big hand-cranks on the side for manual focus and zooming.

If you can afford to buy this thing and are willing to carry it, I suppose you can also afford to buy a dedicated Canon 40D or Nikon D300 to mount on it (note that I didn't say 'to mount the lens on').

Shouldn't they have included a hotshoe on top?
02-01-2008, 11:16 AM   #30
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by AndrewG NY Quote
Shouldn't they have included a hotshoe on top?
for what? a flood light?