Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-03-2012, 12:55 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Well fitting Tripod collar for FA* 300/4.5?

I see this Opteka for $12.95: Opteka Lens Tripod Collar for Canon EF 70-200mm f/4L, 300mm f/4, 400mm f/5.6 USM | eBay

or this Canon brand for $42: Tripod Mount Ring C (WII) for Canon 70-300mm f/4-5.6L | eBay

Edit - and this one for $7.95 http://www.ebay.com/itm/Tripod-Mount-Ring-Collar-Camera-Support-fr-Canon-EF-...#ht_5148wt_952

What I don't know is if either fits so so or a nice snug fit without any juryrigging.

Any other tripod collars that are worth consideration ?

Don't see any mentioned in the reviews, or did I miss that too?

Thanks

Last edited by solar1; 09-03-2012 at 02:38 PM.
09-03-2012, 05:05 PM   #2
Veteran Member

You will have to measure the barrel diameter where you want to place a tripod collar at and find an aftermarket tripod collar that is slightly larger than your measurement. I've bought three of the Chinese made tripod collars for various lenses and for all of them I have replaced the velveteen lining on the collars with various thickness automotive sheet gaskets, depending on a particular lens' barrel diameter.
09-03-2012, 05:40 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have the Opteka model you referenced in the link.

The short answer is yes it fits fine.

The long answer - It is made of all metal - seems to be a cast metal of some kind. The only place you can fit a tripod collar on the FA* 300 4.5 lens is between the focus distance window and the lens mount. To try to explain farther, the inside of the collar has two ridges inside at both sides of the circle, and is a little deeper in the center of the collar. If you try to attach the collar to the area, it is too tight for the screw to start. But, if you move the collar slightly rearward, the one ridge inside the collar kind of slips off the rear end of the barrel then there is no problem starting the screw. Installed this way, the collar is plenty tight. I've used it quite a bit, and testing the holding strength quite a bit to be sure I wasn't going to dump one of my favorite lenses!

So yes, it works, and works fine. I don't know of any other options myself. I really like this lens and would pay more for an absolute perfect fitting collar, but I just don't think there is one available.
09-04-2012, 07:10 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Stormtech,

Thank you for your helpful info, I'm sure someone in future will read this and benefit as I did.

Nic