Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-04-2012, 11:17 AM   #1

Pentax M screw driver

Hi

Does anyone know where I can get screws to open the Pentax M lenses? I have those precision screw driver sets and its too small. Impossible to turn without hurting the fingers.

Thanks in advance

09-04-2012, 11:29 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I assume you are using Phillips head screw drivers. Pentax M lenses use JIS screws, not Phillips head.

Micro-Tools Europe Tools | JIS-Type
09-04-2012, 01:45 PM   #3

Original Poster
thanks but thats a little expensive for me.

I found a cheap one in USA:

MOODY TOOL Screwdriver, JIS, #000, 1.4mm - Screwdrivers - 6LEY4|76-1663 - Grainger Industrial Supply

anyone gonna buy something there who can buy one and ship to sweden to me?

Regards
09-04-2012, 02:18 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
The most important thing I learned taking my A50mm 1.4 100% apart for repairs and cleaning was that you don't separate the 2 big helical cut inner and outer parts of the focus assembly without making a solid notch in the metal of both parts indicating which gears mesh with which. The one in mine could go together in like 6 different clock positions and you didn't know if you had it wrong till it was mostly all back together. Plus the gears ends aren't tapered so they are super impossibly hard to get started onto each other even when in the right position. Also make sure you know how to set the fine focus adjustment.

I actually had to file the sides of the smallest flat blade screwdriver I could buy to make it skinnier to get a collar off in addition to needing the JIS screwdrivers.
And take the lens apart over a soft surface like a table with a cloth so crap can't bounce and roll when you drop it. And don't lose the tiny spring for the check ball in the mount assembly.
There are threads on grease selection for lenses, use as thin a layer as possible and work the gears back and forth several times, this will force the extra grease out the ends which you then will want to wipe off. Use the right grease! I picked automotive white lithuim, its a bit thick (super dampened lens now) but it doesn't have oils to separate and it won't get hot and run out since its designed for much higher temp applications.

Umm, actually its amazing my lens works perfectly now considering everything.

Last edited by PPPPPP42; 09-04-2012 at 02:23 PM.
09-04-2012, 02:22 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
It's much easier to open a M series than an A series. You just need a lens ring...

09-04-2012, 02:45 PM   #6
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by PPPPPP42 Quote
Plus the gears ends aren't tapered so they are super impossibly hard to get started onto each other even when in the right position.
If it is anything like my Mamiya Sekor 60mm Macro, that is almost understating it, that one is a double helicoid though, double the fun. Took me hours just to get those things to go back together again. The next time I had to re-lube a helicoid was my Jupiter 9, which I did not separate, I just sprayed them very liberally with brake cleaner to get the old stuff out and slowly worked in the new. Of course, the Jupiter's glass is easily separated from the helicoid, not the case with the Mamiya.
09-04-2012, 05:17 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by striker_ Quote
I have those precision screw driver sets and its too small.
Check the maintenance articles

.https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/maintenance-repair-articles/119344-cross-...s-caution.html

09-04-2012, 05:23 PM   #8
Veteran Member

MicroTools used to sell NIWA screwdrivers from Japan but they aren't being made anymore. Canon USA do sell similar drivers I believe though not cheap, but should be far better made and stronger than any drivers you can find on consumer markets. I once bought a set of Moody JIS drivers and they were crap. German made Wiha Picofinish are good too but they are philips, and you might need to file the tip for better fit before working on the screws.

The trick of removing those super tight screws on the lens mount is to push the driver downward real hard and then turn. Fail to do that and the screw slot will strip. If that didn't work, apply some acetone or lacquer thinner on the screws to soften the threadlock (usually a few mins) then try again.

Last edited by wlachan; 09-04-2012 at 05:32 PM.
09-05-2012, 10:54 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
JIS Type S Screwdrivers
09-19-2012, 10:25 AM   #10

Original Poster
Hi all guys Ive got myself some JIS screwdrivers from USA. They work better than I thought. These ones fits like a glove making it very easy to disassemble lenses.

BTW i got the Moody ones.