Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-06-2012, 04:42 AM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Ambrosial Quote
On the other hand, I don't want to get a used one and have it die on me 3 months later,
For what it's worth, all but two of the 20-some lenses in our house have been bought used & are fine. Lenses don't usually "die". There's not much that can go wrong with them spontaneously. As a rule, if it's fine when you get it, it stays that way unless you break it.

I've bought probably around a hundred used lenses all total in my lifetime, I got one that was shattered during shipping and another full of fungus, but that's the extent of the bad experiences. Just buy from a seller that'll give your money back if it's defective, and you should be fine.

09-06-2012, 04:49 AM   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If you're really really on a budget, you could always try looking at older manual focus lenses like the 135 mm f/3.5. You could pick one up for around $50-$60. Not as much reach as the longer end of a 50-200mm but it's cheap, light, and compact. Pretty good image quality too, but everything is manual, meaning no autofocus, no setting aperture with dial, no auto-metering (although the green button in M mode makes metering very easy).
09-06-2012, 06:40 AM   #33
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
ChooseAName: Speaking of budget manual lenses, the Tamron SP 60-300mm f:3.8-5.4 (model 23A) is one that offers terrific image quality similar to the Pentax 55-300 at a much lower cost. It also has a very useful true macro mode with magnification up to 1:1.55. I have one of these, and it's a versatile lens and excellent performer.

The Tamron SP 70-210mm F:3.5 (Model 19AH) has an excellent reputation, too. And it's macro is even slightly better, with magnification up to 1:1.33.
09-06-2012, 09:22 AM   #34
Veteran Member

If you're looking only at new lenses and don't quite want your BF to to drop too big a pile of cash, then the 50-200 is an alright choice. It's barely bigger than the 18-55.

Image quality, I think the F 70-210 beats the 50-200 but not by an earth-shattering amount. It also went out of production in 1991 so if you're not comfortable with old lenses, well there's your answer. I will say, I bought mine from KEH.com for $85 and it's been fine for a couple years now. KEH has a 6 month warranty on used lenses. But they don't have any F 70-210s at the moment.

They do, however, have plenty of assorted versions of the Tamron 70-300 for super cheap...

Pentax Autofocus Non-Mfg Zoom Lenses - KEH.com