Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-05-2012, 07:33 AM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Which Pentax 50mm/2.8 macro?

I have read the reviews and they don't seem to clear this up for me so I'm looking for more opinions on these macro lenses.

The reported sharpness of the F, FA, and D-FA 50mm macro lenses really intrigues me. I have a Panagor 90/2.8 macro which I love, but wouldn't mind having something a bit shorter that has AF and can also take shots at more of a distance. The Panagor won't focus beyond about 10 ft or so.

It seems these three are pretty close optically, with the F and FA seeming to have a bit more of a following, but not much. Can someone tell me if it makes any difference which one you get? Is one sharper than the next? Is the bokeh of one better than the others?

How about handling and ease of use?

The D-FA seems a bit cheaper used. Would I regret getting it over the other two?

I'd love any input you have, especially those of you who have experience with one or more of these lenses. Thanks so much!

09-05-2012, 04:25 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Wow, no one has any thoughts on these? I am leaning towards just getting the cheapest one if they are the same optically. Just curious if people have any strong feelings why one might be better than the other. Apparently not?
09-05-2012, 05:30 PM - 1 Like   #3
Veteran Member

The F and FA are identical optically. The main mechanical difference is the FA has a focus clamp which you can use to tighten up the manual focus feel. Don't want to use it when doing AF.

The D FA has its own optical formula (I think?), which is still 8 elements in 7 groups, and 8 aperture blades, like the others. So if it is in fact different optically, its not all that different. It also has a focus clamp. It's a good bit smaller than the F & FA, and takes 49mm filters which are more common across the Pentax lineup (F & FA take 52mm).
09-05-2012, 08:55 PM   #4

I've been happy with my FA50 f2.8 macro. Obviously, it has a really long focus throw near macro, but it's quite sharp (on my K10D). A focus limiter would be nice for general use. But I like the 50mm focal length, so it's handy.

09-06-2012, 04:47 AM   #5
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thank you both for the feedback! Sounds like they are all quite similar. I'm still not sure what to do, but I doubt any of these choices would be bad.
09-06-2012, 10:44 AM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by loco Quote
Thank you both for the feedback! Sounds like they are all quite similar. I'm still not sure what to do, but I doubt any of these choices would be bad.
From personal experience I know that the FA 50 2.8 is great. But I think you are correct that none of them is bad. :-)
09-06-2012, 10:48 AM   #7
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Nick Siebers Quote
From personal experience I know that the FA 50 2.8 is great. But I think you are correct that none of them is bad. :-)
It sure sounds that way! Thanks for your feedback, Nick!
10-08-2012, 07:43 AM - 1 Like   #8
Forum Member

Sorry to be late to the party but I hardily agree about the FA 50 2.8 Macro. Sharpest lens I've ever used and versatile. Of the 50 2.8 macros I have played with, the FA version would seem to be the best. All are good though, and sample variation is probably greater than version variation. I sold my limited 35 macro because I wasn't using it as much as the FA 50 2.8.......thats how good the FA 50 2.8 is.

10-08-2012, 12:14 PM - 1 Like   #9
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I like and use the A50/2.8 for everything that doesn't need a wider aperture.
10-10-2012, 11:20 AM - 1 Like   #10
Veteran Member

I have the F 50 f/2.8 and it is incredibly sharp on my K-5. As others have mentioned, the F and FA are optically the same, the only differences are external. The focus throw on a macro is very long so AF is slow, especially if the camera needs to rack the lens to find focus. I believe the FA has a wider focus ring compared to the F... which is quite narrow and at the very front of the lens.
10-10-2012, 12:04 PM   #11
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Appreciate the additional feedback! I have put this on the back burner for now, but when I decide to do this, I will probably just go for the best bargain. It really seems they are so optically similar that it won't make that much difference.