Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-05-2012, 04:32 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

QuoteOriginally posted by gabro822 Quote
Thank you very much for advices and suggestions!! About the zeiss I can't find it!!
What do you plan on using the lens for?

09-05-2012, 05:15 PM   #17
Veteran Member

For the price of the 31, you could get a Pentax FA 35/2 (which gives much, but not all, of the capability of the 31) and your choice of say, a DA 15 Limited or DA 21 Limited. Food for thought...
09-05-2012, 10:16 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
My idea is to use it as a portrait and walk around lens
09-06-2012, 02:31 AM   #19
Forum Member

Hello Gabriele

The Zeiss ZK 25 is discontinued but you may be able to find it at Pop Flash, a US store that sells online, though prices have gone up since I purchased mine.

I find that the 24/25mm is better suited to a walk around lens rather than the 31. The equivalent 47mm of the 31 is a little to tight for my preference as a walk around lens.

With the 31mm when using it for portraiture photos I usually use it for 3/4 length shots but very useable for full length, just DOF increases.

And i wouldn't be concerned about having a split screen, LV is a lot more convenient and in the dark situations it is very hard to actually use the split screen. I have a standard kats eye and in low light conditions, if critical focus is needed LV is definitely my go to option.

Well hope this helps. Take care

09-06-2012, 03:15 AM   #20
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Just get the FA31; it is one of the greats. You can even share filters with your DA*55.
09-06-2012, 07:30 AM   #21
Veteran Member

Instead of starting a new thread. I was using the Pentax 12-24 F/4 to shoot a sunset the other day. I switched to the 31mm limited during the final moments. I think the lighting conditions were different during dusk. I didn't like the cloud formations but the image from the 31mm popped out after a bit of post processing and this effect is great! What is it about that lens that makes it do this? Is it the speed?

I was wondering if the Sigma 20mm F/1.8 could give me a similar look.
09-06-2012, 07:42 AM   #22
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thank you tyronfall! Yes it's the kind of portrait i would do! For the zeiss I will search because I want to know more about this lens!
An info: does your af ring wobble on the 31mm? I've red many topics in which people ask this, but I really don't understand if is quite normal or is a problem (ps the one I should buy wobble a bit).

Traderdrew can you post the pics?

Thank you!

09-06-2012, 07:56 AM   #23
Pentaxian

Thank you very much for advices and suggestions!! About the zeiss I can't find it!!
One of the forum idiosyncrasies is that people constantly tell you to buy stuff you can't buy. You ask about a lens that is in production, they tell you about a fantastic lens that isn't. I understand that the lens is usually a big part of their world. But often, it has no hope of ever being part of mine.
09-06-2012, 08:35 AM   #24
Veteran Member

Thank you tyronfall! Yes it's the kind of portrait i would do! For the zeiss I will search because I want to know more about this lens!
An info: does your af ring wobble on the 31mm? I've red many topics in which people ask this, but I really don't understand if is quite normal or is a problem (ps the one I should buy wobble a bit).

Thank you!
I didn't keep the 12-24 shots but you can click my albums under my profile and see two of them. I accidentally uploaded two of the same images in an album. It doesn't quite look like what I see in my view screen but it is fairly close. The orange is more intense on my screen at home. I think the contrast and the pop out factor blows away what I typically see on the net for Florida sunset images.

Edit: Hell it looks better on flickr and I just uploaded it on flickr -

http://www.flickr.com/photos/andrewdalerichardson/7944001452/in/photostream

Last edited by traderdrew; 09-06-2012 at 08:43 AM.
09-06-2012, 09:03 AM   #25
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
One of the forum idiosyncrasies is that people constantly tell you to buy stuff you can't buy. You ask about a lens that is in production, they tell you about a fantastic lens that isn't. I understand that the lens is usually a big part of their world. But often, it has no hope of ever being part of mine.
The OP asked about wide-angle options,
for the kind of money that an FA 31 costs.
(I consider the FA 31 to be "normal" on APS-C,
focal length about equal to the image frame diagonal.)

Post #4 included the qualification
"if you can find one."
That said, there are several options,
such as putting out a "Wanted" post in the marketplace.
That recently helped me find a lens
that was no longer in production.
09-06-2012, 11:09 AM   #26
Veteran Member

Same here. I was looking all over for a 12-24 and posted a want ad. I arranged to purchase one within 24 hours. Lots of people dumping pentax gear atm....
09-06-2012, 11:10 AM   #27
Veteran Member

Sigma 30mm is also nice, softer bokeh then the FA31
09-06-2012, 11:33 AM   #28
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Carl Zeiss Distagon T* 2.8/25 ZK 25mm F2.8 PENTAX KA | eBay
09-06-2012, 11:38 AM   #29
Site Supporter

Thank you!
Mine does a little. It never affected image quality, but it made me nervous enough using the push on cap that came with it. I instead switched to FA pinch cap and a slightly longer screw on metal hood, the often mentioned Janco (Amazon.com: Janco 58MM Diameter lens adapter tube for Panasonic DMC-FZ18, DMC-FZ28, DMC-FZ35 and DMC-FZ38 to accept 58MM Filter, Lens caps, adapters & auxiliary lens: Camera & Photo). The wobble is gone for me.
09-06-2012, 11:43 AM   #30
Veteran Member

My idea is to use it as a portrait and walk around lens
If you are going to do environmental portraits then I think the 31mm is a good lens. For any kind of close work though it is not one I would recommend. Even though it has the FoV of a 47mm it still renders like a 31mm lens. If you are going to shoot people and head shots then I would not not recommend anything wider than 50mm, and personally I would stay between 85mm & 135mm when doing portraits. Yes, you can get nice portrait shots with a 31mm but you have to be careful with the elongation of facial features at that focal length.

I think the 31mm is an excellent lens for general walking around and environmental work, but that focal length does generate some challenges when doing portraits.