Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-05-2012, 11:27 AM - 1 Like   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Found the most wonderful new toy I never knew about (macro extension).

Dunno why this thing isn't in the reviews anywhere, there's a similar one but its not the same.

I wouldn't even know it existed except that I saw one on ebay (the only one on ebay) for $100 buy it now. A quick search yielded a minty one on KEH for $45 so I went with that. It was the only other one for sale on the net. I tried to research it but there was ZERO information or references to it anywhere on the net. The KEH listing was super basic so if it weren't for the ebay listing showing pics of it and explaining its features I never woulda known about it.

Anyways its a sigma made multi coated tele-macro 2x -1:1 (or so it says on it) tube that fully supports A series lenses, K20D meters normally or so it seems (still haven't fully tested if it sees the light loss from the tube correctly but it seems so.) The lens insides are recessed enough where it should work with any lens unlike the protruding ones in some i've seen.

The real pride of this gem and something i've never seen or heard of before is the entire guts of it are on a bayonet mount, so with a quick finger twist it pulls out and goes from being a 2x magnification extension, to a macro tube.

As a disclaimer please excuse the poor quality of the pics, they were all handheld with shake reduction off and I was too exited (it just showed up on my doorstep from KEH) to get good pics.

The real fun started when it occurred to me to stick it on my A35-105 F3.5 which has a macro function in itself, wanna see what happens when you macro a macro?

The unit itself, the guts are sitting to the right of it.

From the A35-105 F3.5 I forget what zoom I was at, I think towards 105mm but I don't recall I was too busy giggling like an idiot. This is original image, no cropping, just resized for here.

This is a 100% crop, a 1024x680 bite out of the above image, keep in mind this was hand held with no shake reduction in a hurry so its kinda a mess.

The final image was the result of something that baffled me, the A35-105 F3.5 has a minimum focus distance of 24" or so at 105mm and like 4 or 6" or something like that at 35mm by itself (its in my review of it). But with the macro tube on I couldn't seem to get it to focus at all at 35mm. The below picture is the answer though I had to be very very careful to get the shot since the rather sharp coin is actually touching the camera lens, hows that for a focus distance.

Definitely will post more of this as I try different combos of lenses and with or without the guts installed on the tube, and calm down enough to get good pics.
Another handy thing about using it with a zoom is the focus with this thing when used as a macro tube is so fine as to be worthless, you pretty much have to move yourself with a prime, with the zoom lens the zoom ring becomes the focus and if its a still object with a tripod you could still fiddle with the ultra fine focus using the focus ring.
At least I don't have to piss away $500 on an A100mm F2.8 anymore, $45 is much better.
I can't even comprehend the Bokeh possibilities here. Though DOF will be an absolute nightmare, hafta look up how to do DOF preview on K20D, maybe live view.

Last edited by PPPPPP42; 09-05-2012 at 11:32 AM.
09-05-2012, 11:32 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Wow, never heard of a teleconverter that allowed the lenses to be removed. Interesting find. Looking forward to your upcoming reports with SR on
09-05-2012, 12:49 PM   #3
Site Supporter

I wonder what kind of sharpness you'll be able to get when you do this with a tripod.
09-05-2012, 12:55 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Great find. Does it show any part number on it?

09-05-2012, 01:54 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
No model number all it has is the the gold JCII 61 passed sticker still on it, SIGMA, TELE-MACRO, MULTI-COATED, 2X-1:1, FOR KPR LENS, MADE IN JAPAN, and the rather low looking serial number of 1000977. I just can't find anything about this lens but I would guess its probably mid to late 80's Mostly aluminum with a few plastic bits and a rubber grip. I wonder if the for KPR means it was actually intended for a Ricoh (no pin on this) or for both and they just wrote it that way.

I had been looking for both a macro tube and a 2x converter that correctly supported A series lenses but its seems almost everything out there lacked the contacts. When I found this thing I immediately snapped it up.

I tried looking for the one on Ebay again in case someone wanted it but that was almost a week ago and it was random chance browsing Pentax compatible stuff the first time. Its near impossible to search for because it doesn't actually have an official title and there are about 10 million other models that come up. I'm guessing I basically stole it for this price because if nobody knows it exists, then nobody knows to look for it and the ones that do have trouble wading through stuff to find it.

EDIT: apparently its how you search, typing: sigma tele-macro 2x-1 1 into google (i started to type something similar and google suggested that) makes a bunch of threads of people also saying what the hell is this and where did it come from. Apparently they do turn up and people seem to give them a good rating.

Last edited by PPPPPP42; 09-05-2012 at 02:16 PM.
09-05-2012, 02:47 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter

Good find; I had heard of such a beast somewhere. Length looks to be somewhere in the 40-50mm range?
09-05-2012, 03:31 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I read on another sites thread where someone was asking about it that its a 42mm extension tube but I don't think that's official.

Here's some more pics taken indoors since its too windy for macro and too hazy for much with the 2x at any real distance. I'm pretty sure I'm hitting the limits of the A35-105 F3.5 and even the A50 1.4 for both sharpness and chromatic aberrations here. Its amazing how fuzzy a dollar bill actually is up close, the ink smudges all over when they print them and the light and dark patterns create chromatic aberrations like crazy if your not careful. I think the EXIF's should still be good on these, no adjustments other than resizing for posting. Everything was shot in manual at F8 with rather slow shutter speeds with the 2 second timer.

Taken with A35-105 F3.5 set into its macro range with glass unit removed from the extension tube. The lens was literally resting on the bill itself, very narrow DOF.

This is a 100% crop from the original version of above pic. The chromatic aberrations really show up with this lens at 100% crop in other areas of the original but I think its just how this old A lens is (since the tube has no glass for this).

Next what people really want to see, how a picture looks with the 2x glass installed (normally where you get an IQ hit) So this is my A50 1.4 set at minimum focusing distance with the 2x extension tube, which was oddly enough only like a foot or so away. I also shot this in manual and over exposed by 1/3 stop according to the meter because it seemed to be under exposing the shot otherwise. Not sure if this is an effect of the tube or the camera since the K20D loves to do that by itself and I have no compensation set.

Here is same as above, 100% crop from original image.

Overall I think it can keep up with any A series lens without degrading the image noticeably. If I had an FA 31 or something maybe I would see a difference. Its actually kinda funny but macro lenses really out resolve the world for sharpness since EVERYTHING seems to get fuzzy and blurry at these magnifications. I tried a printed picture and it turned into polka dots.
I also tried the extension with my tamron 70-300 but its slow already and its like trying to focus while stopped down to F8, manually (no screw drive here).
09-05-2012, 04:08 PM   #8
Veteran Member

I actually got one off Ebay for $26 a few months ago, but it is the one WITHOUT contacts. I read the description and thought it was interesting; what's $26 gunna hurt? The lens inside is worthless(makes my mF1.7 look like a Walmart P/S), but the macro function is sturdier than the cheap extension tubes I had.

09-05-2012, 04:50 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
There's one on ebay right now, item no. 150848217675.

Regards
09-05-2012, 05:22 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by sam-joseph Quote
There's one on ebay right now, item no. 150848217675.
Ah, that's the buy it now that led me to this one, I didn't think it was still up.

QuoteOriginally posted by manacho2005 Quote
The lens inside is worthless(makes my mF1.7 look like a Walmart P/S)
Sound like the non contact version has cheaper optics.

Last edited by PPPPPP42; 09-05-2012 at 05:36 PM.