Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-05-2012, 06:40 PM   #1

Using 55mm 1.4 to shoot moving objects?

I wonder if anyone could assist me in shooting moving objects with the 55 1.4 DA* lens. I've found it to be excellent at still objects but whenever I try to shoot anything which has slight movements, it just doesn't work (blurry, not able to focus). Last couple of weeks at a cat walk fashion show, I ended up using the slow 18-135 instead for this reason.

Gotta see Miranda Kerr in a couple of hours from now so any help is appreciated! I'm using a k-5 and it's my new camera so I don't have much of any idea ;(

09-05-2012, 06:49 PM   #2
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
The 55mm f1.4 should be able to do everything the 18-135mm can at 55mm and way more. How about posting some examples with EXIF intact so we can see what could be wrong.
09-05-2012, 06:52 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Try using AF-C mode , and set the focus selector to center point. Keep the target in the center.
I don't know that lens specifically but those settings work well with my lenses.
Also, use a smaller F stop as 1.4 may be too slim for the AF to catch a good phase difference.
09-05-2012, 07:14 PM   #4

Original Poster
I deleted all the bad photos. If I have time I'll go out shooting some cars on the street soonish

09-05-2012, 07:36 PM   #5
Veteran Member

While my DA* 55 has gotten me some crisp shots of moving subjects in AF-C, not every one of them was a keeper. K-5 doesn't have the best AF, especially under lower-lighting conditions, as you've probably observed. I've only been using my K-30 for about a week and I have noticed a difference in AF speed, which track the subject faster, giving me more accurately focused shots. While the AF is not a HUGE improvement over the K-5, it is an improvement, nonetheless. All I can say is that it is definitely light-years ahead of the K20d! The lens shouldn't be performing so poorly, unless you're not using the most ideal settings. In that case, I agree with everything Larry said about using AF-C, center point, and using a higher F stop. It is what works for me.

Good luck!

Here is what my 55 does in AF-C on the K-30.
I would say that they are pretty sharp (especially compared to the images my K20d would spit out... ick!)

09-05-2012, 07:41 PM   #6

Original Poster
Very sharp! I would die to get this sharp. I will try out the settings as suggested.

It also didn't work on my k-r before... But all the other lenses were fine. I'll try to use a smaller aperture
09-05-2012, 08:08 PM   #7
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by junototoro Quote
I deleted all the bad photos. If I have time I'll go out shooting some cars on the street soonish
I make it a point to never delete a bad photo unless I know why it was bad, since a majority of the time it is user error, I want to know what I did wrong and what not to do next time. Since doing this, my keeper rate has been going up steadily and I never seem to be able to place the blame on my equipment.
09-06-2012, 06:09 PM   #8

Original Poster
OK, I was too late for Miranda Kerr yesterday and didn't see her anyway.

But I did do some test shots.

Flickr: morjofoto's Photostream
(The flowers were taken with AF.S and the rest of the street shots were taken with AF.C)

Last edited by junototoro; 09-06-2012 at 06:21 PM.
09-06-2012, 08:11 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Just throwing in my two cents - I am by far no expert on this.

I looked at all your traffic photos. First, they are in a tough lighting situation since the background (trees) are well lit but the cars and intersection are in deep shade. Looking at the largest sizes of your photos, it looks to me like the background trees are all in good focus. Did you have your focus set to center point? If you had it set on automatic, the camera might be choosing the better lit area to focus on since there is more contrast there.

The flower pics look OK, but might be just a slight bit off which to me would have me do a fine AF adjustment on the lens.

So the big question from me is - did you have the AF set on center point only?
09-06-2012, 08:12 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Assuming you used center AF point for the AF-C shots I do see a bit of motion blur.
In some cases the focus appears to be a little back of whatever is in the center, which means that possibly the object moved into frame after dfocus was acquired on the background and the shot was taking place.
I think if you are wanting to capture objects moving horizontally you will either have to pan the camera or really bump up the shutter speed.

Motion blur here - the focus point is centered just past the median on the street.

Focus appears on blue and silver cars in center of frame - the people walking across the street have a bit of motion blur and appear to have walked into frame during shot after focus on the blue car was acquired.

09-06-2012, 08:15 PM   #11

Original Poster
I did use Center point AF
09-06-2012, 08:20 PM   #12
Veteran Member

I did use Center point AF
OK - that takes that out of the equation.
09-06-2012, 08:22 PM   #13

Original Poster
So I just need to use faster shutter speed like 1/1000 ?? The last few photos were 1/500 already.
09-06-2012, 08:37 PM   #14
Veteran Member

So I just need to use faster shutter speed like 1/1000 ?? The last few photos were 1/500 already.
Yes, experiment with higher shutter speed, or pan with the object. This shot you can see the difference between the blurry moving car vs. the little weed on the median and the guy walking his bicycle.

The difference between Julie's shot above shot at 1/100 is that the girl is moving toward the camera so apparent side to side motion is nil. In your shots the cars are moving horizontal so they are going quite a distance in pixels in that 1/500 sec.
Attached Images

09-10-2012, 11:31 PM   #15

Original Poster
Looks like I just need to improve the camera skills. It's good to hear there's nothing wrong with the lens though. (I didn't think there would be anyway.. It's a great lens)