Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-31-2008, 09:13 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Diagnose Lens Problem (pictures)

I have a Focal 2.8 135mm lens that I picked up on eBay some time ago, that clearly has a problem.

The front lens element appears seems to be lose in it's housing. It appears to shift within it's own vertical axis, but does not shift for or aft. Does that make sense?

I really needed a cheap 2.8 lens in this length, I would be willing to rip it apart and fix it if that is possible.

Pictures below

Thoughts?

01-31-2008, 09:32 PM   #2
Veteran Member

focusing mechanism is miss aligned, or something in the focusing mechanism is FUBAR

if this is a manual lens, go ahead and take it apart, i cant explain here whats inside, but its pretty straight forward, if nothing is bent or broken off you should be able to put it back together.

if this is an A lens with autofocus mechanisms things can get dicy
01-31-2008, 09:39 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
It is indeed manual focus.
01-31-2008, 09:42 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by user440 Quote
It is indeed manual focus.
if its anything like my Chinon 50mm, its a very simple design of twin screw tubes.

think of a nut and a bolt

think of the nut as the outside of the lens, and the bolt a tube with all the lens elements in it.

they need to be properly aligned

start by taking off the rear cap and just dig in, once you get to a special set of little clips or bolts or clips that are bolted down, you should be able to completly twist the inside cylinder out of the casing

then its just a matter of twisting it back in, and securing it in the proper alignment with those same clips that were originaly preventing it from screwing out

that is.. if they are not broken.

02-01-2008, 06:02 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Excellent input - thank you.

Every time I see these pictures, it makes me think that that I was drinking while focusing or something...

I'll rip into it this weekend, hopefully it is just a matter of tightening everything up.

Thanks again -
02-01-2008, 11:29 PM   #6
Pentaxian

The first and last are actually pretty sweet...have a pinhole quality to them.