Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-09-2012, 08:53 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yes, the day before shots are much better! Also, it might not have been the lens that cause the coolness of that shot. It might be the black cows. I have seen this a couple of times with my Pentax lenses when shooting a big group of groomsmen. In trying to balance everything out those large black objects can just through the whole scene off. It leaves your grass with not enough contrast and I have seen it skew the black to blue and purple hues too.

09-09-2012, 09:52 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Original Poster
That's good to know Allison.

Black is tough as I always have a hard time when shooting a lens or camera for sale - I really need to learn more about this.
09-12-2012, 08:06 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
As someone who has both the DA* 16-50 and Sigma 24-70 EX and 70-200 II, I can tell you I've experienced first hand the random overly-cool-temperature photo from all three lenses, in studio and out on the field.

What metering mode did you use for the uber-cool cow pics?
09-12-2012, 08:12 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by George Lama Quote
What metering mode did you use for the uber-cool cow pics?
Center Weighted Average.

09-12-2012, 08:27 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
That would likely explain it. A good chunk of the center of that cow photo is dark so the camera was likely thrown off. on that same photo, had you used multi-segmented, you might have not seen that.

When it's happened to me, I've been in the middle of a shoot and can't stop to experiment, but I am almost sure it's happened to me while using spot metering or when using center-weighed and shooting into dark clothing. I don't think it's ever happened using multi-segmented metering.
09-12-2012, 08:58 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for your input George - what you say makes perfect sense.

I mainly use my longer lenses shooting wildlife, and like using center weighted metering for that and seems to work well for me. I am starting to use some wider glass now, and found that I really need to remind myself to switch over to matrix metering when doing scenery type shots. And the blacks...also as Allison said in her post is pretty much in agreement with your thoughts. When shooting anything black, I need to remember to slow down, think, and try some different exposure options.

As I stated above - I knew it was more operator error than the lens itself, and it has turned out to be true. I've done more shooting with that lens and never had that issue again.

It's all a learning process for me which is what I love about this hobby.

Thanks!