Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-06-2012, 09:35 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Loose bearing in Vivitar S1 105/2.5 macro

Hey guys, I just bought a Vivitar Series 1 105/2.5 macro off the bay. The lens looks in good condition, but when I shake it (gently), I hear a loose bearing rattling around. In fact, if I spin the lens slowly, I can hear the bearing spin in a circle around the mount. Is this something I should be concerned with?

Ironically, it was a bearing problem that caused my last macro (Tokina AT-X 90/2.5) to break. I still have the broken lens, and I'm testing out this vivitar to see if it's a suitable replacement (if it's not I'll fix the Tokina).

I've tested out the aperture mechanism at both 1:1 macro and infinity focus distance without a problem - so it doesn't seem to cause a problem right now. Thoughts? I hesitate to return the lens - I got a good deal and the optics look fine.

09-06-2012, 10:07 PM   #2
Site Supporter

I am not sure about the vivitar but I have had three kiron lenses (one of them the 105 2.5) and all of them had that sound. Never had problems with them.
09-07-2012, 08:08 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by sergysergy Quote
I am not sure about the vivitar but I have had three kiron lenses (one of them the 105 2.5) and all of them had that sound. Never had problems with them.
Thanks Sergy, sounds like a non-issue. Kiron made the Vivitar, and my copy even has a dental scale (I thought the viv didn't have that), so I'm sure it's the same under the hood.

Any thoughts on what it could cause the loose bearing (or maybe they were designed this way)?
09-07-2012, 09:10 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
There's a ring of bearings supporting the arms that control the aperture blades. They are visible here in this Kiron version. Probably nothing to worry about. The 4 screws above the aperture ring allow you to remove this entire part as one assembly if you want to check your copy.

09-08-2012, 06:30 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Just1MoreDave Quote
There's a ring of bearings supporting the arms that control the aperture blades. They are visible here in this Kiron version. Probably nothing to worry about. The 4 screws above the aperture ring allow you to remove this entire part as one assembly if you want to check your copy.
Thanks for the details and picture Dave! Sounds like this isn't an issue, thanks guys!
09-08-2012, 06:37 PM   #6
Pentaxian

I had just bought a Kiron zoom back in the 80's and noticed the loose bearing sound. I took it to a Kiron rep at a photo equipment show and he asked one of the techs about it. It turns out that they leave bearings out because it actually works better (less friction etc.) than if they pack it completely. So this is by design.

Last edited by Not a Number; 09-08-2012 at 11:35 PM. Reason: typo
09-08-2012, 08:28 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
I had just bought a Kiron zoom back in the 80's and noticed the loose bearing sound. A took it to a Kiron rep at a photo equipment show and he asked one of the techs about it. It turns out that they leave bearings out because it actually works better (less friction etc.) than if they pack it completely. So this is by design.
You guys amaze me sometimes. Great info!