Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-07-2012, 12:34 AM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Macro lens suggestion

Good day to everyone, i am searching for a macro lens for my k-x. I want to be capable of at least 1:1 and i there is no problem if its manual, m42, or third partie lens. The only restriction is money, my budget is about 100-150 euros. Can you suggest a few lenses from the big legacy of old manual lenses that are value for money?

Many thanks

09-07-2012, 01:10 AM   #2

You might get a Cosina 100mm f3.5 Macro which is 1:2 but it also has an adapter which makes it 1:1. There are 2 versions of this lens, ie. the AF and MF version. It's also called the plastic wonder, because of its' build and excellent optical qualities.
In fact I'm thinking of selling mine if you're interested (I'm in Europe though).
09-07-2012, 03:19 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The Cosina is one I usually recommend too, and it's the only other ~100mm macro I've kept after getting my DFA 100 WR. It's available in either AF or MF versions (I sold MF but kept my AF version - the images they produced were nearly identical). Either version should be in you budget. However, if you're going to be frequently using it at 1:1 it may not be your best choice, because the adapter will degrade the image quality some. Make sure you get the matched adapter that shipped with the lens - sometimes used ones don't come with it.

But unless you already know from experience you'll be using 1:1 frequently, don't assume you will. 2:1 is very common in actual usage (at least for me), so I don't consider this a big problem. And the matched 1:1 adapter is pretty good quality - the degradation is not very pronounced.

Nevertheless, If you'll be shooting 1:1 most of the time, consider some of the old MF Pentax macro lenses listed on this forum in the lens database - many people seem to like them.
09-07-2012, 05:11 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
just to be clear, when you say you want 1:1, do you mean focus from infinity to 1:1 or would you consider adding an extension tube?

except for the macro takumar 100mm preset lens, all pentax macros at both 50mm and 100mm only go to 1:2 without an extension tube. essentually except for coatings, the lenses are identical from super takumar through the M series optically. you can get either 50mmF4 or 100mmF4.

Tamron 52B and 52BB are 90mm lenses at F2.5 but also limited to 1:2 without extension tubes.

Macro lenses going to 1:1 are generally later designed internally focused lenses, that modify the focal length to focus. This may leave them a little brighter but requires slightly closeer working distances at any "nominal" focal length which is measured at infinity.

09-08-2012, 12:15 AM   #5
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
I am looking for 1:1 in order to achieve better magnification. I see magnificent pictures of insects, flowers and i want to produce similar ones. I already have the Sigma 70-300 apo dg macro that achieves 1:2 magnification and i am not satisfied. Thats why i look for 1:1.
09-08-2012, 12:20 AM   #6
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
What kind of working distance are you looking for? An average 28mm lens on a gutted teleconverter used as an extension tube will get you 1:1, but you need to be really close.
09-08-2012, 01:18 PM   #7
Veteran Member

I've had good results from my Vivitar 55mm f/2.8 macro. It came in K-mount and I think maybe also m42. I have the K version. But I just don't do much macro work so I'm selling it (have likely buyer lined up). I paid, and am selling it, for $125 USD. So I basically rented it for free for a couple years.

If you want to put some distance between you and the subject they made a very similar 90mm f/2.8 macro. Both do 1:1 with no extension tubes. That might be a better choice since it looks like you've already got a couple 50mm lenses.

These lenses were made for Vivitar by Komine. In Europe I think they were also sold under the Panagor brand. You can see some example shots in my for sale thread: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/photographic-equipment-sale/196679-sale-v...ro-komine.html