Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-07-2012, 04:28 AM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Used lenses in Hong Kong, Singapore

Hi all,
I will be visiting Hong Kong and Singapore in October.
Are there any good shops that deal with used Pentax lenses?
Thank you in advance.

09-07-2012, 07:02 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by VladM Quote
Hi all,
I will be visiting Hong Kong and Singapore in October.
Are there any good shops that deal with used Pentax lenses?
Thank you in advance.
I don't think Singapore is particularly good for used Pentax gear. There are some retailers in Peninsula Plaza which have a scattering of Pentax stuff, but they always seem wildly overpriced. And the first lens I bought there proved to be defective. The user base here is very committed but very small, so there is not much volume of sales secondhand. You might join the Clubsnap forum - that is largely Singaporean and has a good B&S area. You might pick up something there while you are here, if your visit is long enough.

Can't speak for Hong Kong - it may be better.
09-07-2012, 03:08 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thank you Timo.
I had a look at the Clubsnap forum, and found a lot of good information about Hong Kong shops.
It seems that Singaporeans all go to Hong Kong to buy photographic gear.
09-07-2012, 04:41 PM   #4
Pentaxian

I did a lengthy post here re second hand lens shops in Hong Kong a couple of years ago - judging by the amount of stuff in the shops I doubt that they have moved.

09-07-2012, 10:29 PM   #5
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thank you Arjay,
That is great information - I will definitely visit the area mentioned in your post.
Cheers, Vlad
09-08-2012, 11:16 AM   #6

I'm not sure how used prices are in Melbourne but HK used gear are not deals at all. For example, a used 15mm Ltd was being sold at same prices new from bhphoto. The salesperson didn't even attempt to lower prices. Even old M-series were on the pricier end. About a year ago, I bought an M 50 1.4 for about $100USD that honestly, I would have valued at maybe $75 (I was a pretty naive young Pentaxian back then).

The cheap prices that you may see on ebay are only cheap because those stores do not have to pay for high rent. That being said, you may want to check out the local 2nd-hand traders forum ????? - ????????????????? - DCFever.com Not too many Pentax lenses but the prices will be very indicative of what is out there.

Also, in addition to what Arjay Bee has mentioned, be sure to check out "Sim City" Mall in Mongkok at Nathan Rd/Santung St. (the entrance is on Santung St.). That place is like photo camera heaven with a few used camera stores, including the one that offered the 15 Ltd. In contrast to the store Arjay Bee mentioned, this area is all about newer, all-digital gear. Great deals around if you're looking for stuff that isn't Pentax specific.

Enjoy your stay in Hong Kong!
09-08-2012, 02:23 PM   #7
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thank you Keith,
I will be staying close to Nathan Road, so the Sim city mall will be easily accessible to me.
Cheers

09-09-2012, 09:28 AM   #8
Veteran Member

As KeithM2 has said, DCFever is a great source of second hand goods. I'd say HK's best source.

Bear in mind that prices are ASKING prices. It is common practice to over-ask and sell to the highest bid.

I prefer to buy new through price.com.hk.

Enjoy your trip! Great time of the year to come to HK.
11-22-2012, 01:46 AM   #9
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Update on my experience.
Have been to Hong Kong and Singapore, and my conclusion is that if you are after Pentax gear, used or new, do not bother wasting your time.
I have visited a number of places suggested by other forum members in Hong Kong. Used lenses are almost non existent and what is there is overpriced (can do better on Ebay).
New Pentax equipment is also not well stocked, and what is there the asking price seems to be higher than what I can get from online stores in Australia that get there stuff from Hong Kong.
Due to the fact that shops do not hold much Pentax stock they are not that willing to negotiate - they will be more likely to negotiate on Canon/Nikon stuff more willingly.
In Singapore in most shops the sales people tried to encourage me to buy Canon or Nikon gear and there was not much of a Pentax presence.
Nevertheless, I had a great time in both cities enjoying the local culinary delights, meeting new people and sightseeing and taking lots of photos.
I will post some photos in near future.
11-22-2012, 04:21 AM   #10

Have to agree with you with the lack of Pentax equipment and accessories in Hong Kong, Singapore but also Malaysia.

I remember looking for some after market batteries for the K-r about 2 months after it was first released (Jan 11), but could not find any in the shops at all.
It was also rare to see any K-r in stock at all, even though I remember seeing some on the bottom floor at Sim Lim Square at the time.
Even though I knew some batteries existed, as there were just getting released onto Ebay at the time, I was hoping to pick some up along the way on the trip to keep as a spare, so it does look like there is some delay in the supply chain before it reaches the store for less common brands like Pentax.
11-23-2012, 02:13 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Update on my experience.
Have been to Hong Kong and Singapore, and my conclusion is that if you are after Pentax gear, used or new, do not bother wasting your time.
I have visited a number of places suggested by other forum members in Hong Kong. Used lenses are almost non existent and what is there is overpriced (can do better on Ebay).
New Pentax equipment is also not well stocked, and what is there the asking price seems to be higher than what I can get from online stores in Australia that get there stuff from Hong Kong.
Due to the fact that shops do not hold much Pentax stock they are not that willing to negotiate - they will be more likely to negotiate on Canon/Nikon stuff more willingly.
In Singapore in most shops the sales people tried to encourage me to buy Canon or Nikon gear and there was not much of a Pentax presence.
Nevertheless, I had a great time in both cities enjoying the local culinary delights, meeting new people and sightseeing and taking lots of photos.
Vlad, you should have contacted us guys from Singapore to "bring you around"... :/
Wasted trip...
11-24-2012, 12:43 AM   #12
Forum Member

i don't think singapore is a good place to buy new pentax lenses. You'll find a better deal to buy used lens in PF marketplace.
01-10-2013, 07:07 PM   #13

Try SLR Revolution in Funan for New Pentax Gear

I've lived in Singapore for 5 years and have been a regular customer of SLR Revolution in Funan. It carries Pentax cameras and lenses and the price is (most of time) lowest I can find in Singapore. The salespersons are quite good and they do not bluff newbies or tourists (like most shops in Sim Lim Square do). I like the guy called Ray Lim the most. You may look for him if you go there.

However, I still find online deals or US prices to be lower than this shop. Recently, new new shop called Click has just opened in Funan and I think they carry Pentax too but I have yet to check the prices there.
01-10-2013, 08:04 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Update on my experience.
Hi Vlad,
Did you get to Mongkok on the Kowloon side and/or Stanley St on the Island.?
01-11-2013, 08:34 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Just picked up 2 used Voigtlanders (58 and 20) in HK this past weekend. Good quality at decent price, as in cheaper than PF marketplace + international shipping. Also picked up 2 metal lens hoods for about $8 a piece. Mongkok is the place.