Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-07-2012, 05:45 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Would you keep both an FA 50/1.4 and an M 50/1.7?

I have both of the lenses listed in the thread title and am considering selling the FA 50/1.4. It hasn't seen much use since I got the M 50/1.7.

My main photography interests are candid portraits and other sorts of action shots of my family, which consists of my wife, 3 year old daughter, dog, and a son-to-be-born in November. Autofocus is nice to have but one does not really come to or stay with Pentax for its AF capabilities (or lack thereof), especially with an older body like a K200D. If I sold the FA 50, I'd then have the DA 35/2.4 as my only AF lens. (I might be interested in buying a K-x with the money regained from selling the lens)

For your own photographic interests, would you keep or sell? It doesn't matter whether you don't do portraits or family type photos. I just want to hear any and all reasons you'd keep or sell.

09-07-2012, 05:55 AM   #2
Veteran Member

I kept the FA50/1.4 - there is just no substitute for that f when you HAVE to get the shot and there isn't much light. My MF 1.4 is a VIvitar 85 and it allows me the added creativity, and frustration, that a MF lens brings to the photography equation. If you do sell your FA50 the K-x is a nice little camera and I think you'd be very pleased with it.
09-07-2012, 05:57 AM   #3
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ChooseAName Quote
I might be interested in buying a K-x with the money regained from selling the lens

For your own photographic interests, would you keep or sell? It doesn't matter whether you don't do portraits or family type photos. I just want to hear any and all reasons you'd keep or sell.
Acquiring a K-x seems like a good enough reason.

It's a wonderful little camera for taking with you every day,
no bigger than the bridge cameras,
but faster to use and with better IQ.

There are still some available new.
I hope we soon see a comparably small
"entry-level" DSLR in the Pentax lineup.
09-07-2012, 06:05 AM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by lytrytyr Quote
Acquiring a K-x seems like a good enough reason.

It's a wonderful little camera for taking with you every day,
no bigger than the bridge cameras,
but faster to use and with better IQ.

There are still some available new.
I hope we soon see a comparably small
"entry-level" DSLR in the Pentax lineup.
I agree with you. Those are the reasons I kept my K-x as a second body. I believe its superior to the K-r for a host of reasons, and the review scores here agree with the K-x clearly better thought of by the reviewers. The real benefit over the 200D is the much better ISO performance of the K-x. It also has a higher shutter speed maximum and will do HDR in camera if you are so inclined. Finally, while its only global, it will also do a lens correction that the 200D does not feature.

09-07-2012, 06:13 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
I agree with you. Those are the reasons I kept my K-x as a second body. I believe its superior to the K-r for a host of reasons, and the review scores here agree with the K-x clearly better thought of by the reviewers. The real benefit over the 200D is the much better ISO performance of the K-x. It also has a higher shutter speed maximum and will do HDR in camera if you are so inclined. Finally, while its only global, it will also do a lens correction that the 200D does not feature.
I'm a prime guy, so it'd be nice to have a second body around. The low light performance and the price of the K-x are the main reasons I want to get it. Video would be nice too, as well as the faster fps over the K200D. I don't think I'd use the HDR function much.

My theory of the lower ratings of the K-r compared to K-x is that it was released afterwards with not much improvement over the K-x, and so the K-x is much better for the money. Feature-wise, the K-r looks like it's better.

But then if I got a K-x, I'd also want another set of Eneloops and a focusing screen. So that adds on about $80 to the purchase price. But I suppose I could just keep the DA 35/2.4 on there so I could use the AF.

Last edited by ChooseAName; 09-07-2012 at 06:18 AM.
09-07-2012, 06:35 AM   #6
Veteran Member

I'm a prime guy, so it'd be nice to have a second body around. The low light performance and the price of the K-x are the main reasons I want to get it. Video would be nice too, as well as the faster fps over the K200D. I don't think I'd use the HDR function much.

My theory of the lower ratings of the K-r compared to K-x is that it was released afterwards with not much improvement over the K-x, and so the K-x is much better for the money. Feature-wise, the K-r looks like it's better.

But then if I got a K-x, I'd also want another set of Eneloops and a focusing screen. So that adds on about $80 to the purchase price. But I suppose I could just keep the DA 35/2.4 on there so I could use the AF.
I have owned both the K-x and K-r. I still have the K-x. The feature list doesn't always capture the functionality of a camera. When I decided to go with the K-5 I had to sell at least one of the others to fund the purchase. The K-r was newer, fewer shutter activations, etc. and so would fetch more money to put toward the K-5. That aside, it wasn't a hard decision. The K-x simply turned out more keepers for me. I did not shoot indoors with tungsten much so that wasn't the factor. As for AAs, I love that a camera can take them and that is part of why I have a grip for the K-5. The 35/2.4 + K-x is a very nice, small, package that produces some really good images. I haven't ever gone the focusing screen route but did see several K-x's here in the Marketplace that had screens listed as already installed, so it might be possible to find one already with a screen tuned to MF.
09-07-2012, 06:37 AM   #7
Pentaxian

I've found the focus confirmation with the standard screen
works very well with all my MF lenses, as does catch-in-focus.

If you're going to shoot in the f/1.4 to f/2 range,
you'll probably want to use focus bracketing anyway.

Eneloops are part of the household budget.
They save you wasting money on one-time AAs!
09-07-2012, 06:55 AM   #8
Pentaxian

I have both of the lenses listed in the thread title and am considering selling the FA 50/1.4. It hasn't seen much use since I got the M 50/1.7.

My main photography interests are candid portraits and other sorts of action shots of my family, which consists of my wife, 3 year old daughter, dog, and a son-to-be-born in November. Autofocus is nice to have but one does not really come to or stay with Pentax for its AF capabilities (or lack thereof), especially with an older body like a K200D. If I sold the FA 50, I'd then have the DA 35/2.4 as my only AF lens. (I might be interested in buying a K-x with the money regained from selling the lens)

the only reason I see (and be careful about the use of the word see) is that at some point,

- your children will grow, and be able to move much faster than you can focus manually

- you will get much older (second child will advance this state rapidly) and your eyesight and ability to manually focus will deteriorate

there are many people who simply can't manually focus any more.

but having said this, take note, i have both AF lenses and MF lenses in my kit. the division is almost mutually exclusive, ALL my primes are MF,ALL the zooms i use regularly are AF except for my tamron 200-500/5.6 .

I have never sold any of my bodies, so my *istD and K10D both have split image finders and are dedicated to MF. I rarely use MF lenses (except the 200-500/5.6) on my K5 or K7

09-07-2012, 07:06 AM   #9
Site Supporter

I have both and I love the M50 for those candids at family events and stuff too. But, the FA is the default lens on the camera in the bag because it great to grab-n-go. However, I bet your DA35mm could serve that purpose too, maybe even better. I was looking to buy that before I ran into a great deal on the FA that I just couldn't pass up. So, I guess I'm saying that I'd keep both in my position but in yours, I don't know if I'd need the FA.
09-07-2012, 07:27 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by HockeyDad Quote
I have both and I love the M50 for those candids at family events and stuff too. But, the FA is the default lens on the camera in the bag because it great to grab-n-go. However, I bet your DA35mm could serve that purpose too, maybe even better. I was looking to buy that before I ran into a great deal on the FA that I just couldn't pass up. So, I guess I'm saying that I'd keep both in my position but in yours, I don't know if I'd need the FA.
Thanks for your opinion. I think the M50/1.7's best quality is its sharpness, while the FA 50/1.4 might have better bokeh rendering. For me, I value sharpness over bokeh so I think I can be fine with letting the FA go. I haven't used it in a while, as every time I've wanted to use the 50 mm focal length, I've reached for the M.

And as for the 1.4 vs 1.7 difference, I think maybe getting a K-x might sort of mitigate the stop lossage?

At this point, I'm pretty sold on selling the FA 50/1.4 and "replacing" it with a K-x, but anyone can chime in to tell me how I'm going to regret it
09-07-2012, 08:08 AM - 1 Like   #11
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Sell the FA.... the M lens is a much better lens if you don't mind MF.
09-07-2012, 08:57 AM   #12
Pentaxian

I think you can pat yourself on the back for having made a tough choice, which I still haven't. It can work; I regularily use a K55/1.8. It's a great lens with no more modern version (not counting DA*), so I don't have to think about how much better it would be with an A setting, I just use it. It can also be valuable to have all your lenses work the same. Sometimes the mindset shift between different lens types is annoying.

I think a focus screen is a good investment when you start to rely on MF lenses. For me, AF has a small element of uncertainty - did it focus on what I wanted it to?. MF with the stock screen is also a little uncertain - am I sure that I've gotten the right thing in sharp focus? I was certain with a split prism. Not always right, but certain. I have a Canon EE-S in a box but haven't cut it down yet.
09-08-2012, 03:45 PM   #13
Pentaxian

I have several manual focus 50 and 55 mm lenses. All of them are pretty good and I use them on occasion. My eyesight isn't what it once was and while I can still manually focus, I'm slow. I'll likely be buying an AF 50 in the near future, most likely the reasonably priced 50/1.8. With an AF 50 in my bag, I think it would get used far more than any manual glass I own. As for keeping lenses, I still own just about every lens I have ever purchased, whether new or used.
10-01-2012, 11:16 AM   #14

I too have owned a few 50mm lenses of various apertures. I treat my lenses like i treat my paintbrushes...If it suits what I am trying to achieve, I keep it. If it doesn't then I sell it or give it away to someone who has uses for it. Both lens are great IMO, just weight the pros and cons...Though the FA 1.4 will fetch a higher price, be it Ebay or the Pentax Forum Marketplace.

Last edited by digitallymike; 10-01-2012 at 11:22 AM.
10-04-2012, 04:49 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Have you got a decent hood on the FA50?

Once I put a hood on mine I found it to be considerably more usable than my 'M50-1.4' although tbh my FA35 and D-FA100(samsung)macro see a lot more use than either... The FA50 with hood does however have a permenent place in the bag...