Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-07-2012, 12:15 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
Ok, I got some extension tubes...

Now what the heck do I do with these things??

I shoot a K5 and recently got a Tamron 90 manual 1:2 macro lens... Extension tube set is a Vivitar AT-22 automatic set... Do I just screw them on, attach the lens and shoot ??

Last edited by Javaslinger; 09-07-2012 at 12:20 PM.
09-07-2012, 12:41 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
That's pretty much it. Oh, with the AT-22 and K5, you will probably have to short the pins with a piece of tin foil to get the tubes to stop down.

Get in really close, add some light with a flash and shoot away.
09-07-2012, 12:43 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Javaslinger Quote
Now what the heck do I do with these things??

I shoot a K5 and recently got a Tamron 90 manual 1:2 macro lens... Extension tube set is a Vivitar AT-22 automatic set... Do I just screw them on, attach the lens and shoot ??
Yes - put the camera in M mode and select your aperture on the lens' aperture ring. Then press the green button for stop-down metering before you take the shot.
09-07-2012, 12:47 PM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by enoeske Quote
That's pretty much it. Oh, with the AT-22 and K5, you will probably have to short the pins with a piece of tin foil to get the tubes to stop down.

Get in really close, add some light with a flash and shoot away.
I've seen something about this... What does this mean exactly and how does it work? I thought it was automatic aperture...

09-07-2012, 02:22 PM   #5
Veteran Member

I've seen something about this... What does this mean exactly and how does it work? I thought it was automatic aperture...
Perhaps enoeske or someone else can help regarding the tin foil trick. But the automatic aperture (the lever) is what allows you to do stop-down metering in the first place - without it, you couldn't even do that, because the camera can't even close and re-open the aperture blades during the metering cycle when you press the green button.

Try the tubes and see if you get a reasonably close exposure at f/8 or so - if you do, you probably don't need the tin foil. Also, you should be able to hear the blades move when you press the green button - plus you can often see them move by looking through the front of the lens as you do.

Last edited by DSims; 09-07-2012 at 02:28 PM.
09-08-2012, 10:52 AM   #6

Original Poster
Can't seem to get contact made despite aluminum foil. I have no control over aperture, shutter speed or ISO in manual...

Advice?

QuoteOriginally posted by DSims Quote
Perhaps enoeske or someone else can help regarding the tin foil trick. But the automatic aperture (the lever) is what allows you to do stop-down metering in the first place - without it, you couldn't even do that, because the camera can't even close and re-open the aperture blades during the metering cycle when you press the green button.

Try the tubes and see if you get a reasonably close exposure at f/8 or so - if you do, you probably don't need the tin foil. Also, you should be able to hear the blades move when you press the green button - plus you can often see them move by looking through the front of the lens as you do.
09-08-2012, 10:57 AM   #7
Veteran Member

I folded a strip up so it was several layers thick and long enough to cover all the contacts on the body. I put the lens almost all the way on, but stuck the tin foil in and covered all the contacts on the body. Then clicked the lens into place. Worked for me

09-08-2012, 03:24 PM   #8

Original Poster
hmmm... Still not working... Are all aluminum foil not created equal?
09-08-2012, 04:14 PM   #9
Veteran Member

How about a picture of the mount of the tubes? Mine had black paint or some anodized finish that I had to buff off so the contacts were on bare metal before they would stop down the tamron adaptall 2 90mm I am using.
09-09-2012, 09:52 AM   #10

Original Poster
Ok, I scraped the finish on the extension tubes and now I'm getting somewhere... I can set shutter speed and ISO so long as I set the aperture manually on the lens.

Now I was under the impression that I would be able to set the aperture in camera with this particular set of extension tubes? So is it working normally now or is it still not right?
09-09-2012, 09:55 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Ok, I scraped the finish on the extension tubes and now I'm getting somewhere... I can set shutter speed and ISO so long as I set the aperture manually on the lens.

Now I was under the impression that I would be able to set the aperture in camera with this particular set of extension tubes? So is it working normally now or is it still not right?
The at-22 set doesn't transmit aperture data. Its like using older manual lenses. You have to stop down meter
09-09-2012, 12:01 PM   #12
Veteran Member

You need data pins plus the aperture linkage on the tubes to be able to set the aperture incamera so it sounds like they are as good as they are going to get now.
09-10-2012, 06:33 AM   #13

Original Poster
The Vivitar AT-22 does (I think) have some kind of aperture control. It does have linkages of some kind which I assume were part of the aperture mechanism. They are not present in the cheaper all plastic extension tubes...

I still think it's not working as advertised, but at least I can take photo's with it now...
09-10-2012, 07:21 AM   #14
Pentaxian

"Automatic" means that these tubes have an aperture copuling lever. See images here:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/sold-items/32342-sale-sold-vivitar-22-ext...eplus-mc4.html

Thus you can set aperture manually (rememeber to set "Aperture Ring Permotted" in your camera's Custom Settings) while focusing and metering light with fully open aperture. The lens won't stop down until you press the shutter release.

However, as you can see, the rear mount is black anodized and thus, electrically non-conductive. In order to use the green button for light metering you will need to make the rear metallic surface conductive by scraping off the black oxidized layer or place a piece of thin metallic foil opposite to the electrical contacts on your camera body's mount. Personally, I don't like the idea of metallic foil........ Besides, using the green button in macro context will rarely work unless you have lots of light.

Anyway, do remember to set "Aperture Ring Permitted" in your camera. On the K-5 it is Custom Settings no. 27 (thge very last one). Good luck!
09-10-2012, 07:26 AM   #15

Original Poster
Ok, then all is working I supposed... I was under the impression that the aperture coupling lever allowed the aperture to be controlled from in camera. What exactly is it doing? I set the aperture on the lens, so what does the coupling lever do if it's not allowing aperture to be controlled in camera?