Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-09-2012, 05:03 AM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have 3 lenses you might wish to consider. All of them are excellent. One is the 8mm samyang, the second is the 14mmF2.8 samyang, and the third is the 16mm zenitar

The zenitar and the 8mm samyang are true fisheye lenses, the 14mm is an ultra wide with more than normal barrel distortion.

I bought the 8mm first, of these 3 wanting a fisheye to go along with my sigma 10-20. As far as sharpness complaints, I have not noticed but I generally shoot thenFE stopped down any way. I suspect the complaints are more related to poor focus because it is really hard to see any change in focus in the viewfinder. I rely heavily on the focus indication. Coatings are excellent, which is important because it is almost impossible to keep the sun out of the frame with a 180 degree field of view. I bought the 14mm next as a faster option for interior work than my 10-20. Although erenis some distortion it is easily correctable.

I got the 16mm zenitar to give me an ultra wide option for my M42 kit. A fisheye is a lot of fun, and even with the distortion, I use them for city shots quite a lot. You just need to pay a little more attention to framing.

09-09-2012, 05:24 AM   #17
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Heie Quote
And that link you gave me was excellent! That was an outstanding comparison of the different FE's of the same scene, and really gave good insight into their differences.
Oh yes, a big shout out to Dr. Michel Thoby! He's a retired rocket scientist (literally) and presents his fisheye and panoramic findings with a clarity that I've always found refreshing! (And in a second language on top of that!)
I only shoot in RAW - no JPG, so I am not afraid of a little PP And while removing/adding vignette's is no issue - how exactly do you remove CA? That is one I still have trouble with... (I use LR 3.6)
There should be a couple of sliders for CA correction in Lightroom 3.6. Here is a post I made with my settings from Adobe Camera Raw for CA and vingetting correction, specifically for the 10-17mm @10mm/f8. These optical aberrations change with the focal length and aperture, regardless of the subject matter and lighting (unlike "purple friging" and flare, which the 10-17mm is fairly resistant to), so you can just make a "lens correction profile" and apply it to your shots to remove that dross.

So if I understand correctly, the 8mm FE on APS-C extends beyond the image circle? It seems to have VERY heavy vignetting, and not of the "underexposed" type that is correctable in PP. Can anyone that has the Samyang 8mm confirm/deny this is the case? The 10mm seems much more natural and unaffected.
It's the image circle of the 8mm FE on APS-C that extends beyond the sensor dimensions - the "image circle" is the light from your scene that the lens projects into the camera (and, curiously, all lenses project a circle, but only "circular" fisheyes show you the whole thing!). However, not all 8mm Fisheyes are the same, as you learned that when we started talking about "fisheye projections" and reading Mr. Thoby's page, so here is a link to a comparison of the Peleng 8mm (traditional "equisolid" circular fisheye) vs. the Samyang (a "tailored distortion" circular fisheye). It also talks about "De-fishing" them to get less-distorted images.

That comparison link also shows that both have lots of CA (see the "colored edges" in the 100% crops of the roof) which can be corrected, but honestly I think the Samyang is the better lens of the two. In fact, I think the Samyang is an excellent fisheye in general, just that it has a non-traditional distortion which yields less FOV. Discussing preferences in fisheye distortion is like debating bokeh qualities - yes, it can be obvious when comparing two images side-by-side, but what you prefer is totally subjective and fairly silly to obsess about.

Also, does anyone happen to have all three? An 8mm FE, 10-17mm FE, AND Sigma 8-16?
Not me - I don't have the Sigma 8-16mm. (Though as Meatloaf has said "
.")

Last edited by panoguy; 09-09-2012 at 07:07 AM.
09-09-2012, 09:01 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Very educational thread Guys, thanks.
09-09-2012, 01:35 PM   #19
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
Very educational thread Guys, thanks.
It was the Meat Loaf video, wasn't it?

Hope it helps Heie as well!

09-09-2012, 01:37 PM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by panoguy Quote
It was the Meat Loaf video, wasn't it?

Hope it helps Heie as well!
Hahaha, sorry our server blocks YouTube completely so if there is a video in the thread I haven't seen it.
09-09-2012, 09:07 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Well, I learned more about my 10-17 on this thread than I thought I would!

I want to through one advantage the zoom has that no one has mentioned and that is composition. Of course, you could always do this in post, but it is easier to do this when you are taking the picture especially since you are often trying to keep the distortion distributed evenly across the frame. Sometimes at 10 I catch some feet or a rock or anything that I dont want in the final shoot, but going into 12 eliminates it.
09-14-2012, 04:53 PM   #23
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I can recommend the Samyang too. I reviewed it here.

I had a look at some shots that a friend took with the Pentax 10-17 @10mm. The one thing that I noticed was that the Pentax had CA over a larger area of the frame. With the Samyang I was getting CA mainly in the corners, but I could see CA in the Pentax shots farther away from the corners. It was hard to compare other aspects on different scenes, so I don't have other insights.

I guess that would make sense why the 10-17 seemed to render a more "even" and pleasing distortion across the frame compared to the Samyang...? I just didn't know there was an actual physical reason behind it.
The Samyang projection is actually the one that is supposed to distort less.

Some samples: