Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-01-2008, 02:34 PM   #16
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Gooshin Quote
with the sigma comming out with a pentax mount 70-200 f2.8

i really dont see how this is a worth while investment

the image quality at that SINGLE focal length would have to be worlds better than the sigma to make this lens desirable.

otherwise your missing out on the 70-199mm usability the sigma offers!
Da* 200mm f2.8 is a focal length that is so convinient in street shooting or indoor music event like jazz where photographers could get a close up shot into their inner world!

Very ofte, a zoom with focal range like 70-200 is only to satisfy wedding or event photographers (maybe people who just want to cover all focal range). The only commonly used focal length would still be 200mm f2.8

This lens will be a classic given all the praises in France. Pentax makes better primes and still does!

02-01-2008, 02:36 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
with the sigma comming out with a pentax mount 70-200 f2.8

i really dont see how this is a worth while investment

the image quality at that SINGLE focal length would have to be worlds better than the sigma to make this lens desirable.

otherwise your missing out on the 70-199mm usability the sigma offers!
But is the prime lighter? It's weather sealed, with better IQ (I think we can assume, whether by a little or a lot is TBD). I know of lots of people who don't use telephoto zooms at anything below max zoom, or their wide angle zooms at their widest.

There's lots of arguments for fixed focal length lenses!
02-01-2008, 02:53 PM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by d.bradley Quote

There's lots of arguments for fixed focal length lenses!
short focal lengths yes

telephoto, i disagree, and would like to hear the argument for telephoto focal length primes.

are all the Canon/Nikon guys fools for running around with their telephoto zooms?
02-01-2008, 02:58 PM   #19
Inactive Account

short focal lengths yes

telephoto, i disagree, and would like to hear the argument for telephoto focal length primes.

are all the Canon/Nikon guys fools for running around with their telephoto zooms?
They aren't fools for using what they like. However, the thing with zooms is that you tend to use the higher-end much more than the lower-end. I've used telephoto zooms, but have always hovered somewhere past the middle-range. The 200mm focal length is very very convenient. So, is the 300mm. Primes for those are well justified, especially considering that the weight of these telephoto primes allows for handheld use, where as the FA* 80-200mm does not conveniently. That lens is so big that it's best used with a tripod.

02-01-2008, 02:58 PM   #20
Veteran Member

and i would also disagree that the zoom guys only use the lens at their max focal lengths

my friend has a canon 70-200 2.8 L, he uses it to its full range potential depending on the shot.
02-01-2008, 03:12 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Clearly prime versus zoom is personal preference. Just don't try and argue that that there is no point in anyone buying a fixed focal length lens. There are lots of reasons.

There is too much flame bait being posted these days. Use your logic, people.
02-01-2008, 03:17 PM   #22
Inactive Account

and i would also disagree that the zoom guys only use the lens at their max focal lengths

my friend has a canon 70-200 2.8 L, he uses it to its full range potential depending on the shot.
It's my personal observation. You're free to disagree.

QuoteOriginally posted by d.bradley Quote
Clearly prime versus zoom is personal preference. Just don't try and argue that that there is no point in anyone buying a fixed focal length lens. There are lots of reasons.

There is too much flame bait being posted these days. Use your logic, people.
Props to you d.bradley. Gooshin, it's not a clear-cut case. Primes generally do have better IQ than zooms, but by how much, well that's yet to be decided and probably never will be. Zooms may have some convenience, but even that's pretty subjective. People who enjoy using primes aren't really bothered by having to switch lenses every so often.

02-01-2008, 04:44 PM   #23
Syb
Veteran Member

Now let's get back on topic. The lens is offered for 1159 expensive euro's.

Will this pre-launch be down-priced to get attention, or over-priced for maximum profit??
02-01-2008, 05:07 PM   #24
Inactive Account

It all depends on how Hoya wishes to play the game I supose.
02-01-2008, 05:24 PM   #25
Syb
Veteran Member

Why would Hoya be the deciding party here? Has Pentax been incorporated by Hoya? I thought it was the other way around... or maybe the Pentax guys are not capable of having the things the way they want...?
02-01-2008, 05:33 PM   #26
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Syb Quote
Now let's get back on topic. The lens is offered for 1159 expensive euro's.

Will this pre-launch be down-priced to get attention, or over-priced for maximum profit??
Street prices are hardly ever close to the MSRP. Look at the currently available DA* zooms. They're roughly $250 cheaper on the market, some places even more.
02-01-2008, 06:34 PM   #27
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Syb Quote
Why would Hoya be the deciding party here? Has Pentax been incorporated by Hoya? I thought it was the other way around... or maybe the Pentax guys are not capable of having the things the way they want...?
hoya bought out pentax

some time in marsh pentax will cease to exist completly as a corporation

i believe hoya has already bought out all of the pentax stock
02-01-2008, 06:36 PM   #28
Inactive Account

However, Hoya decided to keep the Pentax brand-name. I just hope it doesn't bring too many changes. Actually, they're merging into Hoya Pentax HD Corporation.
02-01-2008, 09:25 PM   #29
Inactive Account

with Hoya taking over, prices seem to be creeping up. This lens is almost twice the price of Canon's L 200mm.
02-01-2008, 11:26 PM   #30
Veteran Member

I so want this lens, but I don't know what I would use it for. I'm rarely at the long end of my 50-200, and my smc-k 200 f/2.5 rarely gets use (mainly because the manual focus is a PAIN in the gluteus maximus).

Must...Resist...LBA...
or just figure out how to make money with my photos to justify the purchase and provide the cash!