Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-01-2008, 05:55 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Alternative to Macro lense

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Hi!

I'm considering buying the Raynox DCR-250 Macro lense, which fits in any lense, which has a diameter from 52 - 67 mm.

You can see it here

What do you think of such a solution. I was planning to mount it on my Tamron 70-300, which is 1:2 macro. Would it be any good?
I realy don't have $$$ for Pentax 100 or Tamron 90....

02-01-2008, 06:02 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Sorry, there is no free lunch in the world.

I have tons of close filters in the bins, extension tubes in the garage and bargain macro lenses of unheard brands. In the end, I prefer to save money just for a "better" quality macro. Sigma 105, Tamron 90, Pentax DFA 100/50, Voigtlander 125 macro, Zeiss 30 f2 macro etc

Unless you need to take the path that many of us take as well, it is going to be one of these macros you would eventually buy and still wonder what you have been missing.

Tamron 70-300 is not a bad close up bargain zoom. But you want quality and consistence + reliability, go for one of the above macros
02-01-2008, 06:07 AM   #3
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have no experience with these and I'm frankly not a big fan of Diopter style macro lenses but some possitive comments have been made about these units. I would get a set of extension tubes (which should cost about the same) for the 50mm you own if it was me. The tubes could be used on all of your lenses as well but primes tend to produce sharper images with more adjustablity due to the wide max aperture.

Some people will think of the extension tubes as having a disavantage because everything will be shot in manual. But I don't think that is an issue.
02-01-2008, 06:10 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks for that! I think, there could be a problem with extension tubes ad DA lenses. On a DA lense, you cannot adjust aperture manualy.... Focus is not an issue here, because focusing in macro photography is manual anyway....
Are there any extension tubes with contacts for the lense?

02-01-2008, 06:10 AM   #5
mer

It really depends ....

You can reverse a 50mm F1.7 or whatever ( no electronic contacts )
You can stack lenses ( 200mm with 100mm will give you 2x , 200mm with 50mm will give you 4x)
You can buy cheap 70-300 zoom with 1:2 mag
You can put a raynox diopter or any other achromatic diopter on a 200mm/135mm prime ( or zoom )
Extension tubes ( 50mm extension will get you 1:1 for a 50mm lens , 100mm for a 100mm lens )

So that its more or less I have tried all the methods and I still prefer a true macro lens for up to lifesize magnification

Last edited by mer; 02-01-2008 at 06:16 AM.
02-01-2008, 06:15 AM   #6
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

No doubt a true macro is the best way to go. But for a good inexpensive way to get 1:1 50mm+ of extension with the 50mm would work best. There are no extension tubes for a DA (no aperture lens) available.

Last edited by Peter Zack; 02-01-2008 at 08:59 AM.
02-01-2008, 06:17 AM   #7
mer

QuoteOriginally posted by Peter Zack Quote
No doubt a true macro is the best way to go. But for a good inexpensive way to get 1:1 50mm+ of extension with the 50mm would work best. There are no extension tubes for a DA (no aperture lens) avaialble.
Just buy extension tubes with electronic connections...

02-01-2008, 06:20 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mer Quote
Just buy extension tubes with electronic connections...
Are there any? I didn't find them yet...
02-01-2008, 06:23 AM   #9
mer

I am 100% sure kenko does them

but I wouldnt use them with a zoom really , especially a 70-300 . I would prefer an achromatic diopter .
02-01-2008, 06:33 AM   #10
Forum Member

Well I just got the Raynox DCR-250 and I'm impressed. Tried it on the kit lens and a Tamron 70-300 which is already a 1:2 macro. On the Tamron it was darn hard to hit focus, the DOF is really narrow. Much easier with the kit lens but of cause the magnification is also less.

This is the first picture I took with it, 18-55 kit lens, Raynox, iso800, handheld of a flower in my office that have seen better days.

Not a particular impressive image, but for mounting the Raynox - pointing the cam at a random flower and taking a shot, I think it's ok for such a cheap add-on lens.
02-01-2008, 06:36 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
That's a nice shot. But... what exactly did you focus at?
02-01-2008, 06:38 AM   #12
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pentagor Quote
That's a nice shot. But... what exactly did you focus at?
Tip of one of the center flower leaves pointing at the lens I believe. However I'm don't have the most stable hand, so my guess is that the focus is actually in front of the flower
02-01-2008, 06:48 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by blinxdk Quote
Well I just got the Raynox DCR-250 and I'm impressed. Tried it on the kit lens and a Tamron 70-300 which is already a 1:2 macro. On the Tamron it was darn hard to hit focus, the DOF is really narrow. Much easier with the kit lens but of cause the magnification is also less.

This is the first picture I took with it, 18-55 kit lens, Raynox, iso800, handheld of a flower in my office that have seen better days.

Not a particular impressive image, but for mounting the Raynox - pointing the cam at a random flower and taking a shot, I think it's ok for such a cheap add-on lens.
If you think that's an OK picture, then you have not wasted your money. Dont let the macro police bully you into spending another penny. Enjoy what you have.
02-01-2008, 06:52 AM   #14
Pentaxian

I'm like several other folks on here in that I've tried most of the various close-up methods. Started out with an inexpensive set of close-up lenses, bought a bellows and used that for quite a while, then moved to extension tubes for the sake of convenience, and finally bought a true macro lens. I've also tried higher end 2-element close-up lenses and close-focusing zooms. It's hard to beat a true macro lens for quality and all-round convenience. But I still use my extension tubes and my 2-element close-up lenses quite a bit. I'll usually toss one or the other in my bag as part of my walking around kit for those times when I'm wanting to travel light and I don't anticipate doing any true macro shooting, but might run across a situation when I'll want to shoot a tighter detail shot than my "walk around" lenses might allow.
02-01-2008, 06:55 AM   #15
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by keithlester Quote
If you think that's an OK picture, then you have not wasted your money. Dont let the macro police bully you into spending another penny. Enjoy what you have.

Ok for the first sample shot. In particular I think the OOF isn't half bad.

I'm supposed to work so can't run around ensuring anything is in focus or use flash, etc

Will take some real shots this weekend.