Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-01-2008, 07:09 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Would you replace a 16-45 with the 18-250?

No, not an exact swap out, but here's why it hit me this morning.

I want something longer than my 50-200 "kit" lens. I also wouldn't mind having one "do-all" lens, in addition to my more specialized lenses (the fisheye, the 50-135, the 50 macro)

I was considering grabbing a cheapie 70-300 the the pentax fa one for 130, but i got to thinking...the IQ I've seen on the 18-250, whether tamron or pentax, is something I find quite pleasing. I don't have issues with the 16-45, but at the same time, if I can get that kind of IQ (from the tammy or pentax) across the broader range, I'd be willing to gain an extra 50mm instead of an extra 100mm.

so, looking to get feedback from people who have had or handled both the 16-45 and the 18-250....would you give up the 16-45 for the 18-250? Why or why not?

I think I would like having a lens that I could leave on for just about every shot, and truly only swap lenses when I need that special shot-superwide angle, portrait sharpness or macro. I've seen some who used the 18-250 when there da*16-50 was being exchanged, and they essentially fell in love with it....which has me thinking..

would love to hear some thoughts

02-01-2008, 08:42 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I guess the only thing you might give up is lens speed.

If you are happy with the 16-45, and you have the 50-150, i would personally just go for the long end.

I find that it is very rare, that at any one time, you need both 18mm and 250mm, so unless you are planning to travel with only 1 lens I don't see the point.
02-01-2008, 08:51 AM   #3
VAV

QuoteOriginally posted by jmdeegan Quote
No, not an exact swap out, but here's why it hit me this morning.

I want something longer than my 50-200 "kit" lens. I also wouldn't mind having one "do-all" lens, in addition to my more specialized lenses (the fisheye, the 50-135, the 50 macro)

I was considering grabbing a cheapie 70-300 the the pentax fa one for 130, but i got to thinking...the IQ I've seen on the 18-250, whether tamron or pentax, is something I find quite pleasing. I don't have issues with the 16-45, but at the same time, if I can get that kind of IQ (from the tammy or pentax) across the broader range, I'd be willing to gain an extra 50mm instead of an extra 100mm.

so, looking to get feedback from people who have had or handled both the 16-45 and the 18-250....would you give up the 16-45 for the 18-250? Why or why not?

I think I would like having a lens that I could leave on for just about every shot, and truly only swap lenses when I need that special shot-superwide angle, portrait sharpness or macro. I've seen some who used the 18-250 when there da*16-50 was being exchanged, and they essentially fell in love with it....which has me thinking..

would love to hear some thoughts
I don't have the 16-45, but since I got my 18-250, I have not used my kit lens (18-50) at all. Works great in good light / day light / outdoors and if you are traveling it is a very convenient lens. I love being able to cover 18 to 250 with a single lens. However, it is slow and difficult to focus in low light / indoors with dim lighting conditions. It is my lens of choice when I am travelling/ walking around the city and don't want to carry too many lenses. For low light conditions , I have my primes and waiting for the Tamron 17-50.
02-01-2008, 09:06 AM   #4
Not Registered

I used the 18-250 for travels where it is not convenient to wear too much equipment. In other situations I would think to carry two cameras: one with the 16-45 and the other with the 50-135. I dont like to change lenses outdoors cos it is a life threatening condition for me (my fiancee hates me when I stop to change lenses)

02-01-2008, 09:21 AM   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Gruoso Quote
I used the 18-250 for travels where it is not convenient to wear too much equipment. In other situations I would think to carry two cameras: one with the 16-45 and the other with the 50-135. I dont like to change lenses outdoors cos it is a life threatening condition for me (my fiancee hates me when I stop to change lenses)
I would agree. As I said, I see no point in having the 50-135 for example, if you are going to leave it behind.

When I travel, I have a big backpack to carry all my kit to the end destination, BUT it is rare (unless I am afraid to have someone steal everything, which is often the case) or if I know I will be presented with needs for many lenses, to actually go out with more than one lens at a time, maybe occasionally 2 but no more than that. If I take 2, I also use 2 bodies, *istD and K10D,

If I am so limited that I need to only take one very small package, I take my Kodak P&S with a 38-380 equivelent lens, and a 0.45x wide angle adaptor. ALthough it hase a small ( by comparison) sensor, and has more noise at 400ISO, it is quite a competant little kit, for snapshots. even at 400ISO (grain equal to my *istD at 1600)
02-01-2008, 11:13 AM   #6

I have both lenses and as VAV said about his, I seldom take the 18-250 off of the camera. The only time I have used the 16-45 is when trying to shoot in lower light conditions. I find there is not enough of an advantage at F4.0 to make it worth the switch. I will probably get rid of the 16-45 this spring as it is my least used lens so far. I picked up the Sigma 10-20 for the wide end and am very happy with it.
02-01-2008, 01:13 PM   #7
Inactive Account

Hi jmdeegan

I imagine that VAV's experiences hold true for huge numbers of potential & existing photographers:

QuoteQuote:
Since I got my 18-250, I have not used my kit lens (18-50) at all. Works great in good light / outdoors and if you are travelling it is a very convenient lens. I love being able to cover 18 to 250 with a single lens and it's my lens of choice when I am travelling/ walking around the city and don't want to carry too many lenses.
As the price of entry level DSLR's have gradually begun to cross-over into the market segment previously inhabited by the typical 'bridge' camera, an interesting development has begun to emerge. In an attempt to maintain sales whilst trying to attract new customers, manufactures such as Olympus have resorted to extending the optical coverage of their latest SP-570 UZ 10MP camera to a massive 26 - 520mm. However, unwanted artefacts such as chromatic aberration and barrel/pincushion distortion inevitably enter into the equation. The additional downside of cramming ever more megapixels onto a miniscule sensor becomes a recipe for disaster where digital noise is concerned. Competitors such as Panasonic have resorted to successive incarnations of their 'Venus-engine' algorithm in a futile attempt to reduce this noise in their 'bridge' cameras, but simply succeed in 'smearing' fine details. Fuji's offerings are not much better in this regard. However, computer-optimised design allied with technical advances ensure that Pentax's K10D and 18-250mm Di II superzoom make a formidable combination, which beats the living daylights out of anything a 'bridge' camera can ever hope to achieve !

Best regards
Richard
02-01-2008, 01:34 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Interesting responses here, and I have to admit, I seem to be outnumbered by a lot of "single lens solution" shooters.

Please don't be offended by that lable, it is not intended to be derogatory in any way, but simply a way to identify you as a group.

I understand fully your arguments, and can only support your decision because that is what you as individuals have decided, and it is what you , as individuals have a right to offer as your opinion.

The only thing I wonder about is the OP already has some very fine lenses, and seems to be going towards a more specialized multi lens solution. Note specifically he already has an excellent lens to cover the 50-135 range, and his existing lens to cover 16-45. As a result, I saw the 18-250 as a huge duplication of his existing lenses, not as wide, not as fast, but offering something slower and a little longer.

In fact, his best overall solution might just be to purchase a really good 2x TC! as it fills out his range of focal lenghts, without giving up any speed in the present range, or width at the short end of the focal length, and actually gains somethinglike 1/2 stop at the long end of the range.

The question that he needs to answer, is will 18mm be wide enough?

My own view, going back to the days of film was that 28 just didn't cut it, and even 24 was not always wide enough.

In today's ASP-C sensor world, to get the field of view that my 24mm had, you need 16 not 18mm, and as I said, even that was not enough, I now own a sigma 10-20! and use that quite a bit when travelling.

Yes the 18-250 is a good lens, and it offers better quality than many bridge cameras due to the bigger sensor, and wider field of view than a bridge camera, where their equivelent focal length (in 35mm) is 35-40 at the low end, but is it the best choice?

My preference would be a wide to normal as a walk around, not a super zoom.

02-01-2008, 02:49 PM   #9
axl
Veteran Member

I never had 16-45, but I don't think I would replace it with 18-250. It has nothing short of briliant reputation. And to pack antoher lens, like DA 50-200 or Tamron 70-300 or maybe newly announced DA 50 (or is it 55?)-300 doesn't take so much space. So I'd rather stick with two lenses. Plus, if something happens to one, you still have the other...
02-01-2008, 03:06 PM   #10
Pentaxian

The only lens I own now that I never use is my 18-55 kit, and that started happening after I bought my Tamron 18-250. So yes, I'd say the 16-45 could probably be replaced in your lineup by the 18-250 based on my experience.

It will not replace a fast low light lens in any situation, so keep that in mind. And sharp as it is, my old primes still tend to be just a tad sharper, although the difference can only be detected by pixel-peeping. The again, I don't own any super expensive primes to compare IQ against the 18-250.

I was on the fence about buying the 18-250 also, but now that I own it, I couldn't go back to not having it as an option.

I think someone mentioned that they never find themselves in situations where they *need the entire 18-250 range at the same time, and my answer to that is this: Once you get used to having that capability, you start to see the different applications of that instant focal range.

To put it another way: yes, you've often been in situations where you could have benefited from the 18-250, you just didn't know it at the time.

It gives you more shots that you didn't "see" before. It's just another tool to have in the bag, and a remarkably versatile one.

02-01-2008, 05:15 PM   #11
Inactive Account

The 18-250 is the perfect walk about lens. You are covered with anything you come across.

I own both these lenses and the 50-200 also. I decided to keep them all, for they all have their place in my camera bag.
02-01-2008, 05:45 PM   #12
Veteran Member

The angle of view difference between 16mm and 18mm is significant.
I'd say keep the DA 16-45 and go with a 2 lens solution.
02-01-2008, 06:03 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
for the wide angle, I am more than covered. I have my existing 10-17 fisheye, and a pending 10-20 sigma, so I can choose between looks. So for that end of things, I can say i wouldn't be stressed about going from 16 to 18 with the lens swap, because I have a true wide angle solution already

I had not given any thought to the TC option however, and that I am guessing might be the same as the cheap-o fa j 75-300 that i was eyeballing, but give me better results and in a smaller footprint to boot. Nice suggestion.

And Lowell, I can't speak for everyone about the one lens solution, but I had dubbed it the lazy lens, simply because it's on your camera, you likely never take it off, and it covers so much. Which, in spite of it's nickname, isn't always a bad thing. Me personally, I'll admit-I am a product of the point and shoot world, I loved having a camera I could stuff in my pocket and it was ready to go. That isn't to say I don't like my dSLR--I wanted one, so I bought one, and I do love it. But there are definetly times where I hate having to switch lenses, and until recently, I didn't have a spare body to factor in to the equation-though it's a k100 as opposed to another k10.

i think I may consider the TC option and give that a go. Sometimes I wish there was a lens loaner program, ya know-try it overnight before you buy it kinda thing.
02-01-2008, 06:13 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
speaking of TC....can anyone recommend some good ones/ones to avoid? Ill likely be hitting adorama on monday, so if you can browse there....I saw 3 kenko ones, one was a 1.5 the other 2 were 2x magnification. I'd think I'd want the 2x, but I have no clue. Researching now....
02-01-2008, 06:20 PM   #15
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jmdeegan Quote
speaking of TC....can anyone recommend some good ones/ones to avoid? Ill likely be hitting adorama on monday, so if you can browse there....I saw 3 kenko ones, one was a 1.5 the other 2 were 2x magnification. I'd think I'd want the 2x, but I have no clue. Researching now....
I have sigma, but they are not for every one. I use mine specifically on the sigma 70-200 f2.8, They work great but the design has the front element of the TC protrude into the lens. They simply won't fit on many lenses.

SOmewhere in these discussion threads, in the last week, is a comment by someone who just bought a tamron 1.4x TC and swears by it. he bought it specifically because it's design is a traditional one, where the elements are recessed into the TC and as a result it will fit on any lens.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/19694-tamron-t...rter-pics.html

I don't know about the 50-135 though. Does it have both screw drive as well as HSM?

I have seen some comments where certain TCs, even though they have the power contacts for HSM don't seem to work. That is also in this forum within the last 2 weeks.

I think these references the issue with HSM
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/19643-how-use-...ivitar-2x.html

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/17995-tele-con...a-lens-af.html

Last edited by Lowell Goudge; 02-01-2008 at 06:30 PM.