Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-09-2012, 06:10 AM   #1
Forum Member

Front focus with Tamron 10-24mm zoom lens

I just got my Tamron 10-24mm zoom and like it a lot paired with my K-5 except that if I am fully zoomed out at 10mm. and attempt to focus on a distant object near the horizon (i.e. close to infinity) the autofucus mechanism focuses quickly at about 2-3 ft. without hunting. However, it focuses perfectly on the horizon if I zoom in to 24mm. Closer objects (e.g. a few feet away) appear to focus well at any focal length, even 10mm. Does this sound like a flaw or is it just too hard for the autofocus mechanism to find distant objects when zoomed all the way out? I guess I could just try to remember to always focus zoomed in or use manual focus but I'd rather avoid these maneuvers.

09-09-2012, 06:23 AM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by wjax Quote
I just got my Tamron 10-24mm zoom and like it a lot paired with my K-5 except that if I am fully zoomed out at 10mm. and attempt to focus on a distant object near the horizon (i.e. close to infinity) the autofucus mechanism focuses quickly at about 2-3 ft. without hunting. However, it focuses perfectly on the horizon if I zoom in to 24mm. Closer objects (e.g. a few feet away) appear to focus well at any focal length, even 10mm. Does this sound like a flaw or is it just too hard for the autofocus mechanism to find distant objects when zoomed all the way out? I guess I could just try to remember to always focus zoomed in or use manual focus but I'd rather avoid these maneuvers.
I had that happen with my K20D, 13mm and up would focus fine, I was told on the forums that is just a property of UWA lenses, that it was too difficult for the camera to pick a target. Well apparently not, I sold the camera and the new owner said it was a flaw and had it fixed. I also bought a K-30 and it focuses flawlessly with the Tamron at any distance. You may have a focus problem with your K-5. It is a nice lens and I like it better with my K-30.
09-09-2012, 09:07 AM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ramseybuckeye Quote
I had that happen with my K20D, 13mm and up would focus fine, I was told on the forums that is just a property of UWA lenses, that it was too difficult for the camera to pick a target. Well apparently not, I sold the camera and the new owner said it was a flaw and had it fixed. I also bought a K-30 and it focuses flawlessly with the Tamron at any distance. You may have a focus problem with your K-5. It is a nice lens and I like it better with my K-30.
Very interesting, thanks. In my case, however, I doubt that the camera that is the problem since I did not have any focus issues with my Pentax 10-17mm fisheye lens with the same K-5 body. I am thinking that the problem must be with the Tamron lens but if anyone else has any ideas I would be very appreciative of your input.