Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-10-2012, 10:20 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
What for a trip?

Hi everybody! I need your help since I'm a bit confused about the purchase of a lens! This purchase is also concurrent with a trip to Paris and I just ask for your opinion on what to do.
Nowadays I own the 18-55 and the *55, but I want something wide. I have to say that landscape photography is not my style (usually 18mm are enough for me for that use); I prefer portraits instead. But a wide is always useful!
So now, my choices are:
-31mm ltd -12-24mm -10-20mm -8-16mm -14mm -15DA
I was pretty sure about the 31mm, because I thought it was the right balance between my needs and this trip, but then, after seeing shots of Paris and the tour Eiffel, my doubts start. I mean, 31mm are enough or too much? Isn't true that I have to leave a piece of the tower in Paris?!
For the wide instead I believed that the best was the 12-24 or one of the sigma's, but then I realized that it should be only for landscapes and so a zoom which covers the 18mm of my kit zoom is useless. So maybe is better a limited, like the DA15.
I really have a lot of confusion in my mind and I hope you can help me!!

09-10-2012, 10:31 AM   #2
Veteran Member

21mm limited might be the ticket by the sound of it
09-10-2012, 11:16 AM   #3
Pentaxian

One thing I liked about Paris when I was there recently is that most of the major landmarks offered choice when photographing them, i.e close ups and long shots, so any lens would do.

If you are going for wide, the 12-24 is a great lens if you find you can't use your legs to 'zoom' as you would need to do with the 15.
09-10-2012, 11:22 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thank you Anvh! But is really better the DA21 instead of the 18mm?

So JohnX, you think that also with the 31 would be ok? I saw a shot on flickr that I would emulate (Untitled | Flickr - Photo Sharing!)

-edit-
Oh! I found in the market some 14mm that I think the prise is ok (400-470$). What do you think?
PS (the 31ltd that I found is 899$).

09-10-2012, 11:23 AM   #5
Veteran Member

There's nothing wrong with having two zoom lenses that overlap. You use a zoom lens for the great convenience it offers, so having some overlap can be a good thing.
09-10-2012, 12:05 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have no problems having the DA 12-24 and the DA* 16-50. The overlap is not a problem, and for me in particular, can be a distinct advantage. When I am working detail landscapes, and need wider than 16, I put on the 12-24. This still allows me to get almost to a "normal" lens (approximately 28mm on APS-C) while still having the ability to zoom out to 12mm. The image quality of the 12-24 is very, very good and allows framing to use the whole image area.
09-10-2012, 12:09 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thank you very much for your replies!!
No, there is no problem about the overlap, I know! the only problem is my poor student-wallet
In any case I'm looking for the 12-24, because I think it gives me more opportunity at 12.
What about prices? I also would know the 899 for the 31mm.
Thank you

09-10-2012, 12:19 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by gabro822 Quote
Thank you very much for your replies!!
No, there is no problem about the overlap, I know! the only problem is my poor student-wallet
In any case I'm looking for the 12-24, because I think it gives me more opportunity at 12.
What about prices? I also would know the 899 for the 31mm.
Thank you
The marketplace is the best bet to find a good used one, saving your hard earned money. You could post a WANTED thread there, too.
09-10-2012, 12:21 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
The marketplace is the best bet to find a good used one, saving your hard earned money. You could post a WANTED thread there, too.
Yep I've just done it now!
I will continue to check the marcketplace!!
Thank you very much!!
09-10-2012, 12:59 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Thank you Anvh! But is really better the DA21 instead of the 18mm?
You said 31mm might be too long and 15mm too wide so that leaves 21mm in the middle.
It's a fine lens i can tell you.
09-10-2012, 01:44 PM   #11
Banned

Photos: Albums
Somewhat related to the original topic...

Even when not working professionally... I lug about two cameras most anywhere I go.

...Most places or items wouldn't warrant the possible need for a full second camera body, but... For those (near) unreplaceable moments might I suggest even a very small p&s; such as a Sony with a 16x optical. It isn't much larger than a pack of cigarettes - and that range certainly is considerable; more so than most would ever want to carry in a gadget bag with a "real camera".
09-10-2012, 01:59 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Anvh I think I've mistaken to write! I think that I don't know if 31 is enough. 15 would be the best solution in my opinion, but I really don't know if, once back from my 3 days trip, I put it on the shelf! For this reason I was considering a lens, in this case the 31, which I could use also for portrait (but in this case too...I have the 55! So really don't know. For this reason I asked you.
I think that what I need is the same shot made by different lenses, in order to know what I gain in a case and what I lose in the other. Do you know if there is on the web a site that can do this?

QuoteOriginally posted by Medium FormatPro Quote
Somewhat related to the original topic...

Even when not working professionally... I lug about two cameras most anywhere I go.

...Most places or items wouldn't warrant the possible need for a full second camera body, but... For those (near) unreplaceable moments might I suggest even a very small p&s; such as a Sony with a 16x optical. It isn't much larger than a pack of cigarettes - and that range certainly is considerable; more so than most would ever want to carry in a gadget bag with a "real camera".
Yep I usually go with a p&s too (my gf's one) so in any case I have a pic...but since I bought my camera, I want to use it everywhere. When I can't, I am really disappointed So want to try to cover all the possibility. Of course, this my last statement is reverse correlated to my wallet.
09-10-2012, 04:56 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The DA12-24mm is a good bet, since it goes from wide to a classic street FOV and has darned good IQ. I would use it for city shots, inside or out.

Landscape does not require really wide lenses. In fact, that's the number one error I see photographers making.
09-10-2012, 05:00 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

For this reason I asked you.
I think that what I need is the same shot made by different lenses, in order to know what I gain in a case and what I lose in the other. Do you know if there is on the web a site that can do this?
Tamron has such a tool here.

Please be aware that as you get wider you also introduce perspective distortion. Large objects appear smaller and the perception of dimensionality is reduced. It's a great way to make something impressive look rather diminished.

This is not such an issue indoors, since the structure you are in provides the visual frame and a point of reference.
09-11-2012, 03:06 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Anvh I think I've mistaken to write! I think that I don't know if 31 is enough. 15 would be the best solution in my opinion, but I really don't know if, once back from my 3 days trip, I put it on the shelf! For this reason I was considering a lens, in this case the 31, which I could use also for portrait (but in this case too...I have the 55! So really don't know. For this reason I asked you.
Pentax gallery you can search for the different lenses.

I self went for the DA*16-50 and DA*50-135 for my needs, fast f/2.8 lenses, weatherproof and good image quality.
Also the range never make these lenses useless and the size of the lenses is doable.

16mm is pretty wide you know.