Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-01-2008, 11:20 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Any advise on the Sigma 12-24mm f/4.5-5.6 EX DG AF

I was looking at this lens and was wondering if anyone here uses it and what it's performance is like?

Thanks,
Rob

02-01-2008, 12:19 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I don't own it, I have the Sigma 10-20,

But there was a review, I think just before christmas, in a UK magazine that compared this to the 10-20. Overall they rated the 12-24 higher in resolution and overall better in performance (91% rating vs 86%).

What I don't know is how, exactly, the comparison was made, since the 12-24 is a full frame lens, and the 10-20 is an ASP-C lens.

I guess really the difference is whether you feel the extra 2mm is needed, and whether you would want to use this at any time on a full frame camera, film or otherwise. note however the 12-24 is more expensive, by about 30%
02-01-2008, 07:18 PM   #3

I have it, its quite a good lens, well built, nice and sharp, contrasty. Its not even very big, just sort of squat and wide.

Downsides are its rather slow, but thats to be expected, the lens element is a hemisphere that sticks out a bit, and its got inbuilt petal hood to protect that element, which requires a ring addon to allow the lens cap to fit on.

None of those things really get in the way though, I've never come close to damaging mine, and I use it while rock climbing.
02-03-2008, 05:45 AM   #4
Forum Member

I have this lens too.

Before I had the Sigma 2.8/14 (aps-lens) but the angle of view wasn't wider than with my Zenith 2.8/16 !
Sharpness the same: Not better.
I sold the 14mm and bought the 12-24:
Much wider!
Quite big lens.
Nice build quality!
Using it on my old film-slr gives you a super-wide angle!
(on aps-dslr like 18mm - on film-slr true 12mm)
Vignetting (wide opened) is a bit higher than ordinary wide angle lenses - but I have nothing to compare for these focal lengths...

After all: I am very relaxed looking forwards because it is a full-frame lens!
- and I'm still using film-slr from time to time....
Try to use the 10-20 or Pentax 12-24 on film-slr....

:-) Paul

02-03-2008, 06:03 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I read somewhere that the 10-20 can be used on full frame cameras with slight vignetting on the widest end. At 11mm, vignetting is non-existent. This is one of the reasons why I got the 10-20 (scheduled to arrive tomorrow) over the 12-24. But of course, it's all a matter of taste. Whatever you get, you'll love it!

edit: I think it was a review from ePhotozine... not sure though.
02-03-2008, 07:14 AM   #6
Pentaxian

I put mine (10-20) on my PZ-1 and looked through the view finder

vignetting is present wide open up to at least 13mm, did not try stopped down, and did not feel like using a roll of film to accurately evaluate it.

If I need full frame wide angle, I have a pentax 18-35 FA-J

Last edited by Lowell Goudge; 02-03-2008 at 08:23 AM.
02-03-2008, 08:19 AM   #7
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

The Sigma 12-24 is indeed a great lens in many ways.
FF (who knows what the future bring plus camera film use is fine).
Sharp at all apertures and focal lengths.
Built like a tank a bit big and heavy but hey it's there to last and made of metal. (larger than the Pentax version bit that's a cropped lens like the 10-20)
Well corrected for a lens this wide but expect some barrel distortion on any ultra wide.
Yeah a little slow but the others aren't much faster (+1/3Ev at best)
No real issue with vignetting since the lens is FF you you're using the 'sweet spot'.
Overall a joy to use and I like the field of view. It overlaps nicely into the more mid range zooms.

Well worth the money.
02-03-2008, 11:41 AM   #8

"Popeye" the Sigma 12-24

Love the lens as above users said.
Pictures taken with the lens react very good on USM - don't ask me why.

02-03-2008, 12:11 PM   #9
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Chip sorry, USM (actually Sigma calls it HSM -Hyper Sonic Motor) doesn't apply to a Pentax DSLR or film camera. They are all screw driven by the body and at the moment Sigma doesn't make this lens with and SDM motor coupling. Great shot though and a very good example of the lens's ability.
02-03-2008, 09:46 PM   #10
Inactive Account

Original Poster
This the wide angle lens I think I will go with, seems good and I like being somewhat prepared for the future for FF...if Pentax goes that way.
02-03-2008, 10:27 PM   #11

QuoteOriginally posted by Peter Zack Quote
Chip sorry, USM (actually Sigma calls it HSM -Hyper Sonic Motor) doesn't apply to a Pentax DSLR or film camera. They are all screw driven by the body and at the moment Sigma doesn't make this lens with and SDM motor coupling. Great shot though and a very good example of the lens's ability.
Peter, I believe he meant Un-Sharp Mask
03-25-2016, 02:56 AM   #12

QuoteOriginally posted by Fireball Quote
Peter, I believe he meant Un-Sharp Mask
I'll second that. It's quite soft wide open but sharpens up very nicely with USM (not HSM!).

Also it should be great on the K-1, as it was originally designed for full-frame. A reviewer tested it at the time with a Canon full-frame DSLR and said it was very nearly as good as a prime. I've used it with my last 35mm film SLR, a Pentax ZX-L (same as MX-6).

Even so, the somewhat lower quality 10-20 is very tempting just for the wider view.

Back around 1982, I got Sigma's first ultra-wide zoom for my Olympus OM-1. It was 21-35. Sadly it's a doorstop today; who wants a manual 42-70 with adapter on a micro 4/3 body? But it was a game-changer then. I almost got a Pentax MX instead of the OM-1, and would have if I had known back then that the MX could be tricked into mirror lockup. That 21-35 in K-mount might be fun on a K-1.