Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-15-2012, 06:57 AM   #46
Pentaxian




Join Date: Nov 2011
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 3,762
QuoteOriginally posted by Michaelina2 Quote
If an order is placed over the phone, PForums (Adam, et al) don't get their back scratched by the merchant. Right?
I think you can just let Adam know the invoice number and amount.

09-15-2012, 07:02 AM   #47
Veteran Member
enoxatnep's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: The edge of nowhere, Alberta, Canada
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 467
QuoteOriginally posted by azerak Quote
Now, if only someone in the US would help other users from other countries to get the lenses at the said price.
This won't help Canadians get this lens for that cheap, but here's my favorite resource for finding the cheapest prices, using the DA* 16-50 as an example!
09-16-2012, 01:01 AM   #48
Forum Member




Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Scottish West Coast
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 53
Thanks very much for the heads up Adam. I was going to phone today about the 77 but Adorama are closed until Wednesday . Its on the website at $784, I wonder if you know whether this one is likely to be included in the discount ?
09-16-2012, 05:18 AM   #49
Pentaxian




Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Albuquerque
Posts: 1,120
QuoteOriginally posted by TylerD Quote
Thanks very much for the heads up Adam. I was going to phone today about the 77 but Adorama are closed until Wednesday . Its on the website at $784, I wonder if you know whether this one is likely to be included in the discount ?
The FAs haven't had the wild price swings that the DAs have had, so I would guess not. My understanding is that the call-in "discount" just serves to get the DAs at the pre-MAP prices. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong.

09-16-2012, 05:30 AM   #50
New Member




Join Date: Mar 2011
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 9
Is Pentax really trying to go out of business? Seriously. Thanks for the tip, but this is absolutely crazy policy.
09-16-2012, 05:46 AM   #51
Veteran Member




Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Somewhere, USA
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 453
Thanks! Very good to know!!
09-17-2012, 06:59 AM   #52
Senior Member




Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: LAKE PLACID,FL
Photos: Albums
Posts: 110
Didn't work for Me

I called B&H Friday to ask about this different price structure. The salesperson says that the internet price is the same as a phone sale. That current lens are being sold at MSRP and B&H will not reduce that price. I was looking to purchase a DA70 and DA35. Will hold off till prices come down again.
Mike
09-17-2012, 07:22 AM   #53
Senior Member
JeremytheIndian's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Central North Carolina
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 115
Well I guess I will put off buying a Tammy 70-200 for now... I'll call B&H when they open again on Wednesday to see if the Da* 50-135 is attainable at $824 over the phone.

09-17-2012, 07:31 AM   #54
Veteran Member
Docrwm's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Somewhere in the Southern US
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 11,275
QuoteOriginally posted by COULDBE2 Quote
I called B&H Friday to ask about this different price structure. The salesperson says that the internet price is the same as a phone sale. That current lens are being sold at MSRP and B&H will not reduce that price. I was looking to purchase a DA70 and DA35. Will hold off till prices come down again.
Mike
Neither of those lenses were increased because of Maximum Assured Pricing. Therefore there would be no difference in phone vs. online pricing. Try one of the SDM zooms.
09-17-2012, 09:24 AM   #55
Senior Member




Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: LAKE PLACID,FL
Photos: Albums
Posts: 110
The DA Limiteds did increase in price. The 70 by 127.00 and the 35 by 157.00 during the last price increase.
Mike
09-17-2012, 10:15 AM   #56
Veteran Member
Docrwm's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Somewhere in the Southern US
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 11,275
QuoteOriginally posted by COULDBE2 Quote
The DA Limiteds did increase in price. The 70 by 127.00 and the 35 by 157.00 during the last price increase.
Mike
Not this price increase. B&H's response was in reaction to the 9/1 reassertion of Maximum Assured Pricing not in reaction to the readjustment from 4/1.
09-17-2012, 02:51 PM   #57
Veteran Member
Docrwm's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Somewhere in the Southern US
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 11,275
QuoteOriginally posted by DragonLord Quote
I understand that you hate this policy and want others to reject the normal "minimum advertised price" interpretation of MAP, but please don't force others to do so.

--DragonLord
I can't "force" anyone to do anything. How on Earth can you even type such a thing without some or such??? Others are free adults and can read (one would presume given they are typing on a forum) for themselves.
09-17-2012, 04:08 PM   #58
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
bwDraco's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: New York
Photos: Albums
Posts: 1,015
QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
I can't "force" anyone to do anything. How on Earth can you even type such a thing without some or such??? Others are free adults and can read (one would presume given they are typing on a forum) for themselves.
Sorry, and I've deleted the post in question, but my concern is that you're using the phrase "Maximum Assured Pricing" across several forums you've posted in on this site and have rejected the normal usage of the term such that it seems you consider "minimum advertised price" incorrect.

Back on topic: My understanding of this issue is that Pentax wants to enable online retailers to compete on an equal footing where comparison shopping is very easy. However, since you can't easily shop around over the phone or in person at physical stores, it isn't necessary to maintain a minimum advertised price for non-online purchases.

--DragonLord

Last edited by bwDraco; 09-17-2012 at 04:17 PM.
09-17-2012, 04:35 PM   #59
Veteran Member
Docrwm's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Somewhere in the Southern US
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 11,275
QuoteOriginally posted by DragonLord Quote
Sorry, and I've deleted the post in question, but my concern is that you're using the phrase "Maximum Assured Pricing" across several forums you've posted in on this site and have rejected the normal usage of the term such that it seems you consider "minimum advertised price" incorrect.

Back on topic: My understanding of this issue is that Pentax wants to enable online retailers to compete on an equal footing where comparison shopping is very easy. However, since you can't easily shop around over the phone or in person at physical stores, it isn't necessary to maintain a minimum advertised price for non-online purchases.

--DragonLord
Thanks for your opinion. I really don't care what Pentax marketing and corporate have asserted, the reality as I see it is quite different. It is NOT online retailers that they want on an equal footing - it's bricks and mortar stores - which there are fewer of every single day that they want to give a boost to but they do this by raising prices artificially. For a marginal player, with a limited range of lenses, limited support from 3rd party lens manufacturers, and 3-5 outlets in the entire country with any real volume of sales it is suicide to cripple the sales of those 3-5 outlets by attempting to artificially control the free market price of their product. It's not very complicated economics at all.

Last edited by Docrwm; 09-17-2012 at 04:44 PM.
09-17-2012, 05:00 PM   #60
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
bwDraco's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: New York
Photos: Albums
Posts: 1,015
Yes, I do agree that the prices are too high to be viable. Hence my next question: Do large electronics chain stores like Best Buy really need markups this high?

--DragonLord
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
k-mount, lenses, pentax, pentax lens, pentax lenses, prices, sales, slr lens
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Konica, Minolta, etc. mount to Pentax K - How to save the old lenses vietlh81 Pentax Lens Articles 40 01-20-2013 10:50 AM
Save $100 on the Pentax Q Adam Pentax Price Watch 3 02-06-2012 07:26 PM
Pentax *istD save raws to PC multiweb Pentax DSLR Discussion 8 09-27-2011 03:34 PM
How to save Pentax justtakingpics General Talk 14 06-03-2011 11:45 AM
Old -but save- Pentax Flashguns for K100D minahasa Troubleshooting and Beginner Help 2 04-18-2011 11:27 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:45 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top