Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-11-2012, 03:53 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Pentax HD, New lens series?

From Pentax.
The lens exterior is painted an elegant white to minimize heat haze generated inside the lens barrel, and a red ring is featured in the middle of the barrel to serve as a distinct, radiant symbol of the new HD (High Definition) lens series.

So... what is the deal, is it better then DA*?

09-11-2012, 04:10 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Considering that HD isn't a lens series, I think they don't know what they're talking about themselves! The only thing I want to figure out is whether or not that lens covered the FF image circle!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

09-11-2012, 04:15 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I believe HD doesn't replace DA in the lens name. It replaces "smc".
09-11-2012, 04:17 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Considering that HD isn't a lens series, I think they don't know what they're talking about themselves! The only thing I want to figure out is whether or not that lens covered the FF image circle!
It probably does as it seems to be a well corrected optic. More pertinent is how to spot the lenses that do from the naming....
Could it be that Pentax doesn't plan any FF model thereby making the issue irrelevant?

09-11-2012, 04:32 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Pål Jensen Quote
Could it be that Pentax doesn't plan any FF model thereby making the issue irrelevant?
Or they purposely leave out the mention of FF compatibility to maintain suspense...
09-11-2012, 08:50 PM   #6
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by elho_cid Quote
I believe HD doesn't replace DA in the lens name. It replaces "smc".
Unfortunately, this is correct.
09-11-2012, 09:21 PM   #7

I do believe that we will not notice anything changed with 'HD' and 'HD' is only for marketing cos need to have something new...
09-12-2012, 02:39 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Blue: What is unfortunate about improvement in lens coating? SMC was with us for 40 years, it was about time to come up with something even better.

09-12-2012, 05:14 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Their new lens series will be the "limited star HD digital macro zoom." The lenses will remain identical to what they are selling now, just their name will be changed to that to impress people who know nothing about photography, and for some inexplicable reason decide to buy $6000 lenses based purely on the name. [/sarcasm]
09-12-2012, 07:04 AM   #10
Site Supporter

Blue: What is unfortunate about improvement in lens coating? SMC was with us for 40 years, it was about time to come up with something even better.
I didn't say it was unfortunate about improving it. I meant it was unfortunate calling it HD instead of something like SMC+ or SMC*. Plus, the SMC was tweaked during that 40 years. In addition, lenses such as the FA LTD and DA LTD, FA 35/2 and some others got Ghostless Coating in addition to SMC. Maybe Mac will drop the Apple Logo. SMC was a game changer in the 35mm industry 40 years ago. Using a cliche like HD sounds a lot like marketing lemmings.
09-12-2012, 07:42 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Now I understand your point. Sure they could have used something like snc or ssmc or umc... But this HD notation leaves impression of a dramatic change. Not just evolution. Maybe that was their point.
09-12-2012, 07:51 AM   #12
Veteran Member

HD by itself is an already overused acronym. "smc HD" would have been better, IMHO.

But hey, has Pentax ever been good at naming its products ?

Last edited by RBellavance; 09-12-2012 at 09:11 AM.
09-12-2012, 07:52 AM   #13
Site Supporter

Now I understand your point. Sure they could have used something like snc or ssmc or umc... But this HD notation leaves impression of a dramatic change. Not just evolution. Maybe that was their point.
If they were trying for the impression of a "dramatic change," then saying it is almost as good as their Aero Bright was a slip up.
09-12-2012, 09:57 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Considering that HD isn't a lens series, I think they don't know what they're talking about themselves!
Maybe, i just notice the text when looking on the website.

In a way the 560mm is very expensive for a normal DA lenses aimed at the normal market so who knows?
09-12-2012, 05:11 PM   #15
Veteran Member

September 11, 2012
PENTAX-exclusive HD Coating
A new multi-layer lens coating process developed for
lenses used with PENTAX lens interchangeable digital cameras
PENTAX RICOH IMAGING COMPANY, LTD. is pleased to announce the launch of the HD Coating technology, a newly developed, multi-layer lens coating process.
 Compared with conventional multi-layer coatings, the new multi-layer HD Coating,* exclusively developed by PENTAX, offers much improved light transmittance and a much lower refractive index. Because it minimizes reflections, it delivers sharp, clear images free of flare and ghost images, even under demanding lighting conditions such as backlight. This coating assures optical performance almost equal to Aero Bright Coating, another PENTAX-exclusive lens coating process made possible by advanced nanotechnology and applied to higher-class lenses.
 All future interchangeable lenses for digital cameras that equip this new coating will bear the name “HD PENTAX”, instead of the conventional “smc PENTAX”.

* HD stands for High Definition, and signifies the lens’s capacity to reproduce images that excel in transparency, definition, resolution and rendition.

50% reduction of reflections in visible spectrum

The coating reduces reflections by more than 50% over the entire visible spectrum, compared to conventional multi-layer coating.
High-rigidity coating layer

Since the HD Coating has a stronger bond among its coating materials and a higher packing density, its coating layer assures exceptional high rigidity for extra durability.
Faithful reflection of design concept to actual coating layer

In conventional multi-layer processes, the coating layer is produced by the vacuum evaporation method, in which coating materials are dissolved and deposited in a vacuum. This method, however, sometimes cause the unstable situation to achieve a coating layer with density sufficient enough to prevent disparity in the thickness and refractive index of the coating layer.
The HD Coating effectively solves this problem by employing a PENTAX-exclusive manufacturing process, while optimizing the density of its coating layer and controlling the thickness the accuracy of a nanometer (one millionth of a millimeter). As the result, original design data on the lens coating is accurately applied to the actual coating layer to optimize anti-reflection performance of a lens.
Comparison between conventional multi-layer coatings and HD Coating

The coating reduces reflections by more than 50% over the entire visible spectrum, compared to conventional multi-layer coating.
The new coating allows an ideal control of color balance thanks to stable Reflection at Wavelength.