Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-12-2012, 09:12 AM   #1

Image Wide Angle 28mm f2.8

I'm new to all this so I might come as ignorant...

I just bought these lens cheap from craigslist thinking I could find an adapter for it but I don't know how to find what kind of mount the lens have.
And I can't find any infos on these lens. When I search for it, Vivitar 28mm f2.8 keeps popping up. They look fairly similar. Are they the same?

Sorry if I posted this in the wrong section!

Thanks for helping!

09-12-2012, 09:42 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I found one review of this lens here on PF: Image 28mm f/2.8 Lens Reviews - Miscellaneous Lenses - Pentax Lens Review Database
I own a copy of this lens, however mine has a 52mm filter thread. Mine was cheap, and a bit worn, but I'm pretty happy with its IQ. I've also heard that these are rebadged Vivitar lenses, but most, if not all Vivitars were actually made by Kiron, Cosina & others. I can't see your photos well enough to tell what the mount is...maybe Nikon?
09-12-2012, 09:45 AM   #3
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
Looks like Minolta MD mount.
09-12-2012, 10:16 AM   #4

Original Poster
Thanks a lot guys.

How should I take the picture for you guys to verify what kind of mount it is? (If it's not Minolta MD)

09-12-2012, 10:32 AM   #5
Inactive Account

I can only think of two bayonet mounts that have a notch in one of the tabs like that, Yashica and Minolta, the Yashica mount has more than one aperture coupling. Also, the Minolta's notch faces up when mounted, towards the aperture markings.
09-12-2012, 10:34 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Sorry, I don't know enough about mounts to tell you anything about your lens.

I have two of these, one branded Image, one Kalimar. I am reasonably certain they were made by Cosina. Mine both had the Ricoh pin and a flange that kept them from mounting on a Pentax DSLR. The Kalimar was modified before I bought it. I had to do the surgery on the Image myself.

Directions I followed to modify the KR mount:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/126565-post3.html
http://www.theatreofnoise.com/2008/05/ricoh-lenses-on-pentax-cameras-ricoh.html

Photos of my lenses:
https://picasaweb.google.com/bonhommed/28mmLenses?authkey=Gv1sRgCM_TnvfApv3AFw#

PS The front of your lens says Auto. Why don't I see an A position on the aperture ring?

Last edited by audiobomber; 09-12-2012 at 10:45 AM.
09-12-2012, 10:42 AM   #7
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by audiobomber Quote
PS The front of your lens says Auto. Why don't I see an A position on the aperture ring?
Same reason many M42 lenses said "Auto", automatic diaphragm, not necessarily automatic exposure. The aperture would stay open until you release the shutter, making focusing easier.

09-12-2012, 11:01 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My copy is a fully manual K-mount, 52mm. It's fairly large & heavy, well-built with a nice smooth focus throw. I don't know who actually manufactured it. A couple pix:

09-12-2012, 11:07 AM   #9

Original Poster
Thanks again for the help guys.
Upon further investigation, I think it is a Minolta MD mount.

And I found this thread : https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/30396-lens-id-help-please.html
They pretty much say that you should never buy an Image lens.

I should've digged deeper before buying these. I can't test them since I have to find an adapter first.
09-12-2012, 11:22 AM   #10
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by ieabu Quote
And I found this thread : https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/30396-lens-id-help-please.html
I wouldn't say "never", I'm sure there was some decent stuff branded with that name, it all depends on who really made the lens and what design was used. I'm sure you could find absolutely horrible "Bushnell" and "Super Lentar" lenses, but the ones I have were made by Tokina and are quite good. Brand name isn't always an indicator of quality. I do have a JCPenney branded 28mm f2.8 that I believe is Cosina made, quite similar to this lens in some ways, it is hopeless, but some JCPenney and Sears branded stuff is just fine. Usually, if it is cheap enough it is worth a shot, as long as you can make it work with your body.

I can't test them since I have to find an adapter first.
There is really no good way to use an adapter with this lens, either you will lose infinity focus or you will have to have an optically corrected adapter to make up for the difference in registration distance. Finding a good optically corrected adapter would be expensive and still degrade image quality, so if you did have some really nice Minolta glass it would probably kill anything that was special about it.
09-12-2012, 11:36 AM   #11

Original Poster
Aw, I did not know you lose quality when attaching a lens with the help of an adapter. That's good to know!
Such a newbie, I am!
09-12-2012, 11:40 AM   #12
Inactive Account

Aw, I did not know you lose quality when attaching a lens with the help of an adapter. That's good to know!
Such a newbie, I am!
That is only if the adapter has optics in it, adapters like M42 to K mount don't need optical correction and will still retain infinity focus. Loss of infinity isn't always a huge deal, it just depends on the lens and how you use it.

Here is a thread about mounting all kinds of different things onto a Pentax.
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-camera-field-accessories/96884-ad...addiction.html
09-12-2012, 12:20 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by elliott Quote
Same reason many M42 lenses said "Auto", automatic diaphragm, not necessarily automatic exposure. The aperture would stay open until you release the shutter, making focusing easier.
Thanks. That one never sticks in my head.

Thanks again for the help guys.
Upon further investigation, I think it is a Minolta MD mount.

I should've digged deeper before buying these. I can't test them since I have to find an adapter first.
My Image 28mm looks just like yours, with 49mm filter size, and I would definitely quarrel with anyone who calls it horrible. It has lovely colours, smooth bokeh, low CA, soft but useable at f2.8, very sharp at f8, needs a hood to reduce flare, and it has auto aperture, which is a nice feature. All in all, well worth the $35 I paid for it.

Sell your lens, buy a K-mount 28mm. I would venture to say none are horrible, most are quite good and very affordable. I love 28mm focal length. In addition to the Image, I have a Kiron f/2 and Pentax FA 28mm. I cannibalized the Kalimar for parts, but it's still useable in reverse mode for macros.
09-12-2012, 07:00 PM   #14
Pentaxian

PaulH....

Good looking ist-D.
09-12-2012, 07:46 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by forensicscientist Quote
PaulH....

Good looking ist-D.
It *is* good-looking - and it's been working flawlessly too Have you missed it much?