Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-13-2012, 09:40 AM - 2 Likes   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Pentax isn't going to announce a FF camera. Tamron is, it's going to feature the K-Mount, use Pentax technologies, and after 6 months, be rebadged and sold as Pentax.

09-13-2012, 10:04 AM - 1 Like   #17

Photos: Gallery | Albums
After releasing re branded Pentax lens for a few months at a fair price a rebate will be announced that doubles the cost...
09-13-2012, 11:20 AM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Eulogy Quote
Pentax isn't going to announce a FF camera. Tamron is, it's going to feature the K-Mount, use Pentax technologies, and after 6 months, be rebadged and sold as Pentax.
QuoteOriginally posted by JeremytheIndian Quote
After releasing re branded Pentax lens for a few months at a fair price a rebate will be announced that doubles the cost...
LOL's
09-14-2012, 03:23 AM   #19
Veteran Member

I am surprised that Tamron didn't release it initially with a support for the Pentax K-mount, what with their 18-270 being rebadged by Pentax itself. Maybe they'll announce "formal support/version" for Pentax later?

I thought that the 18-270 design being included in the K-mount lineup signified that talks and agreements have begun anew with Tamron - either my guess was wrong or the effects of the talks will come at a later date (perhaps even right after a new body Pentax might release)

09-14-2012, 03:32 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JeremytheIndian Quote
Why would the old Tammy 70-200 2.8 be worthless now? People love that lens.
I was more thinking of my Tamron 90 Macro lens... but that's a Pentax version anyway so my comment was foolish.
09-14-2012, 03:32 AM   #21
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Alizarine Quote
I am surprised that Tamron didn't release it initially with a support for the Pentax K-mount, what with their 18-270 being rebadged by Pentax itself. Maybe they'll announce "formal support/version" for Pentax later?

I thought that the 18-270 design being included in the K-mount lineup signified that talks and agreements have begun anew with Tamron - either my guess was wrong or the effects of the talks will come at a later date (perhaps even right after a new body Pentax might release)
Could it be just as simple as a licensing agreement?
09-14-2012, 03:54 AM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bossa Quote
Could it be just as simple as a licensing agreement?
Could be, but for just one lens? Pentax and Tamron had good relations from way back and only until recently (not very recently, but not too far back either) did they stop making K-mount versions. Too bad if this lens indicates that Tamron still thinks the K-mount ain't worth making still.
09-14-2012, 08:38 AM   #23
Site Supporter

Two new Tamron lenses: 70-200mm f/2.8 VC USD and 90mm f/2.8 Macro VC USD | Photo Rumors

As per usual there's a new Tamron lens out and it's not being released for Pentax.

The Macro is a new design and both lenses are moisture and dust resistant.

A very interesting Photokina this year to be sure.
Third-party lens maker's think Pentax sucks...Yay! If I hadn't spent so much on lenses, I'd jump.

09-14-2012, 09:47 AM   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by tabl10s Quote
Third-party lens maker's think Pentax sucks...
No, I am certain that is not true. The issue is more likely market share, why should Sigma|Tamron spend hundreds of thousands of dollars in retooling the assembly line and testing to only sell a small handful of lenses in K-Mount? With a minimal market share for Pentax (lets say 3%), and Sigma|Tamron by the numbers know how many they can move (lets say a 20%/20% split for a total of 40%), that's 20% (to each one of the 2) to 3% of the market, it makes no sense from a business standpoint for them to continue to manufacture lenses for us - it's a shame, but that's business...
09-14-2012, 04:59 PM   #25
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by tabl10s Quote
Third-party lens maker's think Pentax sucks...Yay! If I hadn't spent so much on lenses, I'd jump.
Its not a matter of what sucks but a matter of profitability.

PS: I'm certain that Ferrari have a smaller market share than you're average family sedan 'make' or SUV but nobody seems to say that they 'suck' on a regular basis.
02-21-2014, 01:01 PM   #26

Any news if 70-200 VC will appear for Pentax K-mount?
Would be interesting lens...
02-21-2014, 04:33 PM   #27
Site Supporter

Not that I've seen. If the company came to this site, they'd see that a lot of us like their 70-200 and will purchase again.
02-21-2014, 05:49 PM   #28
Pentaxian

Its not a matter of what sucks but a matter of profitability.

PS: I'm certain that Ferrari have a smaller market share than you're average family sedan 'make' or SUV but nobody seems to say that they 'suck' on a regular basis.
+1. A failed Canon body might still sell more copies than a great Ricoh body. It's in 3rd party lens makers' best interest to concentrate on Canon.
02-26-2014, 01:37 PM   #29

Tamron Releases New 70-200 but not for Pentax

Some guys at dpreview were discussing it would come rebadged as pentax at some point. How do you see this? I find it not propable but it would surely be nice addition.
Lately Ive been happy with shooting 18-135, not the best lowlight wildlife lens but great for walkaround and more photos from everyday living.
If pentax (sorry ricoh) announces 120-375 wr with dc i'd be happy!
02-28-2014, 02:26 PM   #30
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mattipuh Quote
Some guys at dpreview were discussing it would come rebadged as pentax at some point. How do you see this? I find it not probable but it would surely be nice addition.
Lately Ive been happy with shooting 18-135, not the best lowlight wildlife lens but great for walk around and more photos from everyday living.
If pentax (sorry ricoh) announces 120-375 wr with dc i'd be happy!
Well, there is a new rumored 70-210 2.8 on the Pentax Lens roadmap for FF, if you believe in such things... perhaps that will be the new style Tamron in disguise?

I wouldn't complain if it turned out to be that way... I have the current/old Tamron f2.8, and the optics are great and the color rendition and bokeh is very Pentax like.

Add WR, the new HD coating, maybe a new DC motor & the silly red ring, along with Pentax quality specified into the build, and you will have a VERY nice lens. Of course, it will cost WAY more than the old Tamrons meager ~ $700 range... thems the breaks but heck, the old FA 80-200 is still averaging what, like ~$1400 on the used market?

Either way, I can't shake that feeling that good stuff is coming our way from Ricoh. Guess you could call that "cautiously optomistic"