Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-18-2012, 12:40 AM   #16

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Hi folks. First of all just want to say thanks for all your input. This seems like a great forum with some great people on it.

You've given me lots more to think about. Having done some research the UK second hand market doesn't seem to be as good as US. For example, a second hand Tamron or Pentax 18-250 is £300 upwards but best price for a brand new Sigma 18-250 Macro is £400, although not in stock yet. For an extra £100 I'd rather go with a new Sigma macro I think.

There are Tamron 18-200s for a decent price though and DA 55-300s so I'm half tempted with your idea Gibby but I know I'm just not serious enough to carry a bunch of lenses around. It's taken me this long to finally get a camera that doesn't just fit in my pocket. That certainly seems like to most sensible option if my primary requirement was quality but at this stage it isn't so I have to be honest with myself that I will not be bothered to lug multiple lenses around at the moment. We have a toddler so enough to carry around already...

Having seen some good reviews for the Sigma Macro my decision is to go with that once it's available for Pentax (very soon hopefully). I think this will be a good lens for me that will give me what I need and also the opportunity to get more experienced with the camera etc. If I get more serious I can then look into getting some more dedicated lenses should I start going out with the specific aim of photography.

Thanks again for all your help guys, I feel much more educated now to understand my decisions better.

(And well done for spotting my original copy and paste error. Believe me, I have no intention of buying the HD 560mm F5.6 ED AW!!!)

10-11-2012, 12:29 AM   #17

Original Poster
All. Quick update on this. I mulled over what everyone said and did more research and decided that if I buy a superzoom it will probably cost me more in the long run as I would end up wanting something with better quality once I get more experienced. I have therefore purchased a DA 55-300 and accepted the idea of carrying two lenses around. I have a holiday coming up so will be able to try it all out.

I now just need a reasonable size bag to keep it all in so that's my next search. I tried a Lowepro Altus 120 which just about fits in the body with the 55-300 attached and the 18-55 in a pocket on the side. However, it doesn't fit the other way around as the 55-300 is too big to go in the pocket. Therefore I would always have to stick the 55-300 back on to put it back which will be a pain. Hopefully the next size up will be OK. There we go, a quick bag review.

Thanks again to everyone for their advice (on this thread and the numerous others I have read).
10-11-2012, 04:43 AM   #18
Veteran Member

thechumpen:

I think you made the right choice. I also think you're gonna love that 55-300. I get consistently excellent results with mine. If you want a one-lens solution somewhere down the line you can always pick up an inexpensive superzoom like one of the Tamrons & a small holster case, and you'll have a small grab 'n go package for family outings, etc. I keep my Tamron 18-200 basically glued on (figuratively speaking) on an *ist DS as my "point & shoot" replacement. When I want to shoot something more seriously I grab the bag with the K-x bodies & other lenses.

Cheers & happy shooting!
Bobbo :-)