Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-22-2012, 08:28 AM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Of all my manual focus lenses, the 35-105 is the stand-out. As others have said, it's a zoom that thinks it's a prime.

11-23-2012, 12:53 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Update:
It has been two months since I made this original post and I thought it would be a good time to give you all an update. I've been trying to use this lens more to see if I can see the benefit of keeping it. To cut to the chase I'm going to keep it! This decision was actually made this morning so I'll give you a run down on what's been happening the last two months. The lens has been to the studio, landscapes, portraits and just all around shooting. In all instances I have been able to get some really good shots with great colors, detail and bokeh.

Now the bad part. I will say a lot of this is user error but it has been really hard for me to nail down the focus with this lens. My keeper rate is really low. I get more soft focus shots than clear sharp images. Realizing that when I do my part the lens does great so that lets me know I need to get a split image focusing screen. With my old eyes I think I need the help as even when I get focus confirmation my images still tend to be out of focus just a bit. I really like using the lens and like I and others have said it just plain works when you do your part.

So if you don't have one and happen to run across one for sell. GET IT!
11-23-2012, 06:21 PM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bass3587 Quote
Update:
It has been two months since I made this original post and I thought it would be a good time to give you all an update. I've been trying to use this lens more to see if I can see the benefit of keeping it. To cut to the chase I'm going to keep it! This decision was actually made this morning so I'll give you a run down on what's been happening the last two months. The lens has been to the studio, landscapes, portraits and just all around shooting. In all instances I have been able to get some really good shots with great colors, detail and bokeh.

Now the bad part. I will say a lot of this is user error but it has been really hard for me to nail down the focus with this lens. My keeper rate is really low. I get more soft focus shots than clear sharp images. Realizing that when I do my part the lens does great so that lets me know I need to get a split image focusing screen. With my old eyes I think I need the help as even when I get focus confirmation my images still tend to be out of focus just a bit. I really like using the lens and like I and others have said it just plain works when you do your part.

So if you don't have one and happen to run across one for sell. GET IT!
Hi, i would not recommend the split screen but instead the Canon ee-S focusing screen from Focusing Screen.

Its accurate up to f/1.2.. Trust me... If you use it and miss, your eyes are not old, they're blind.. :P
11-23-2012, 10:35 PM   #19
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I think with that my lens package will be complete.
QuoteOriginally posted by klh Quote
I've said that several times. Never true for long.
Ha. Nothing very wide, but perhaps that's not high on your list.

11-24-2012, 10:15 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Special K I've updated my lens list. The widest I have is the Sigma 17-70 that you have. I do need a true WA but that's down the road.
11-24-2012, 12:35 PM   #21
Pentaxian

I've still got my 35-105 A Macro zoom...bought it new in '84...plan to keep it forever. A wonderful lens and frankly one of the reasons I decided to stay with Pentax in the digital age.

I have an 18-55 kit lens that I got with my K-m. The 18-55 lens is the only lens among my 9 Pentax digital lenses that I am disappointed with.

I am fortunate to have a Pentax 12-24 and a 16-45 wide angle zooms. The 16-45 is very good and the 12-24 is stellar. I know, you get what you pay for.
11-25-2012, 10:28 AM   #22
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by SyncGuy Quote
Hi, i would not recommend the split screen but instead the Canon ee-S focusing screen from Focusing Screen.

Its accurate up to f/1.2.. Trust me... If you use it and miss, your eyes are not old, they're blind.. :P
Which one again? I went to the site and I didn't see the Canon Screen listed for the K5

11-25-2012, 10:35 AM   #23
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
Which one again? I went to the site and I didn't see the Canon Screen listed for the K5
It is called the "S type" screen.
11-25-2012, 10:40 AM   #24
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Ok I see it now. They have 4 listed. Some with grids some without but all within a few dollars of each other.
11-25-2012, 10:21 PM   #25
Veteran Member

Ok I see it now. They have 4 listed. Some with grids some without but all within a few dollars of each other.
I'd recommend you to get either the plain OR the grid, which is effectively the rule of thirds. I'd strongly recommend the one with the rule of third ones rather than the AF bracket marking.

I'm using the one with the AF marking and i've learned that it's stupid, for me, because it doesn't do anything much since there already is the red AF light..
Whereas my wife has the rule of thirds grid and it's REALLY useful in composition.

Therefore, Rule of thirds grid or plain nothing at all; trust me.
11-26-2012, 08:01 AM   #26
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by SyncGuy Quote
I really wanna try one of those. I'm happy with my current split screens, but I'm not averse to something better. So how is the Canon ee-S screen better? Is it brighter? When you focus, is it blurry-blurry-blurry-BOOM suddenly in sharp focus? Inquiring minds wanna know... ;-)
11-26-2012, 09:08 AM   #27
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by GibbyTheMole Quote
I really wanna try one of those. I'm happy with my current split screens, but I'm not averse to something better. So how is the Canon ee-S screen better? Is it brighter? When you focus, is it blurry-blurry-blurry-BOOM suddenly in sharp focus? Inquiring minds wanna know... ;-)
It's brighter, for sure! Especially if your lens are fast lenses; well, the screen's made specifically for fast lenses.
Blurry-blurry-blurry-BOOM (sharp!)?

Nah... It's more like, twist-twist-am-I-seeing-your-eyelash?!
Or... Twist-twist... Hey~ I think I'm seeing the focus plane traveling! WtH?!

Yea... Like I say, with fast lenses, if you miss focus with that eeS screen, you seriously need to make an appointment with the opthalmologist...