Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-14-2012, 06:57 AM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
Pease help identify this lens...

For sale locally to me but the vendor says there are no model numbers on it even when they unscrew the sky filter (which they say is 49mm). It might be a ropey M zoom but I'm leaning toward an M or K series prime. There's 5 raised bumps on the focus ring so that rules out the usual fast 50's which aside from the 1.2 all seem to have 3. Is this something exotic oe should I just steer clear ? I've scoured the database and just can't find an exact match.

Oh I'm talking about the mounted lens btw.......

Attached Images

09-14-2012, 07:04 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
it looks like an SMC-Takumar, as distinguished from a Super-Multi-Coated Takumar which usually denoted S-M-C Tak, by the rubberized focusing collar.

I have a 55mm F2 that looks just like it
09-14-2012, 07:22 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
It's definitely not a SMC Takumar (wrong font, wrong number colors, wrong type of rubber grip, no window for the focus distances, etc.). I have seen a LOT of lenses over the years, but this doesn't look like any I recall offhand. It is clearly not a Pentax lens. Instead, it's probably one of the many off-branded 50mm screwmount lenses (Sears, Chinon, etc.), likely f1.4, perhaps f1.7. I wouldn't bother with it.

By the way it's on a Spotmatic, so it will be an M42 lens (requiring an adaptor to use on the K mount), so it could not be a K or M lens, and it looks to me to very clearly be a prime.
09-14-2012, 07:34 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

it can't be a M or K series, its mounted on a spotmatic which is M42 thread mount. My Guess is a Vivitar or Tamron adaptall type mount ( I think I can see the mount release lever at the rear of the lens right hand side as we look at it) also I think it has 2 sets of F stop numbers one in each direction to suit other brands of cameras who require there fstop numbers to go the other way. I don't recognise the lens but I have a Vivitar 300m 5.5 with a similar adapter on it. (T mount)

Last edited by Cee Cee; 09-14-2012 at 07:39 AM.
09-14-2012, 07:41 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Maybe the same as this one?
09-14-2012, 07:42 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Cee Cee Quote
it can't be a M or K series, its mounted on a spotmatic which is M42 thread mount. My Guess is a Vivitar or Tamron adaptall type mount ( I think I can see the mount release lever at the rear of the lens right hand side as we look at it) also I think it has 2 sets of F stop numbers one in each direction to suit other brands of cameras who require there fstop numbers to go the other way. I don't recognise the lens but I have a Vivitar 300m 5.5 with a similar adapter on it. (T mount)
the double F stops are the DOF indicator.

In looking again at it, my first impression was wrong, the rubber coated focus ring of a late SMC tak has different dimples, and a second silver ring below them.

also the wide DOF scale indicates this is a wider lens possibly than a 55mm. Perhaps a 35 0r 28 but note, the photo seems to go down to F2 which would make this a really fast wide angle if it is.
09-14-2012, 07:57 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by kcobain1992 Quote
That was the first thing that popped into my mind. The orange numbers scream Chinon.

09-14-2012, 07:59 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
the double F stops are the DOF indicator.
arh yes I see that now, .... the semi circular thingy on the RHS - is that on the lens or is that the x flash connection on the camera ( gee I own a spotmatic and all - its been a long time) it looks a lot like the release lever for a Viv T4 mount, maybe I should widthdraw from this discussion its way to late at night here. cheers
09-14-2012, 08:06 AM   #9
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Of course ! The redish orange does indeed scream Chinon or perhaps another off brand prime..Sadly I was unaware the body was screwmount only so I shan't bother sprinting across London for that but thank you all for your application and dedication in helping me out.
So the search still continues for the local vendor who Googles the camera body he's been left by an uncle and sticks it up at £30 not noticing the £500 glass up front.........
09-14-2012, 08:15 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by London Rob Quote
Of course ! The redish orange does indeed scream Chinon or perhaps another off brand prime..Sadly I was unaware the body was screwmount only so I shan't bother sprinting across London for that but thank you all for your application and dedication in helping me out.
So the search still continues for the local vendor who Googles the camera body he's been left by an uncle and sticks it up at £30 not noticing the £500 glass up front.........
it actually looks like a reasonable screw mount kit. Likely a hoya 135/2.8 or 3.5, a 50is lens sitting beside the camera, and a wide angle on the camera.
09-14-2012, 08:19 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by London Rob Quote
Good luck
09-14-2012, 08:28 AM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
That was the first thing that popped into my mind. The orange numbers scream Chinon.
Looks identical to my copy of the 55/1.7
09-16-2012, 03:02 AM   #13

QuoteOriginally posted by kcobain1992 Quote
if not the lens as mentioned above then i guess it's the yashica 50 1.7 with the orange markings.