Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-15-2012, 03:08 PM   #16
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by StDevious Quote
So what you are saying is for $169 I get a lot better RAW converter than Adobe ACR 7 in Photoshop CS6 ? Is it great for other lenses too (FA 50, Tamron 17-50 etc.) ?
I don't have experience with CS6, that program is out of my price range, lol. But from what Ive read around the web (and it is wise to take anything from the net with a grain of salt) that DxO is the best Raw converter out there, IF they support your lens/camera combo.
It does fantastic work with the 17-50 (I have that lens). I don't think they have a module for the FA 50.

09-15-2012, 04:20 PM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I just got mine with the K-30 a month and a half ago but I love it. It stays on my camera a lot and functions very well as a walkaround lens. And mine is plenty sharp at 135, not sure why people say it's not unless I got an exceptional copy or something.
09-15-2012, 04:54 PM   #18
Pentaxian

DXO is a great product that I highly recommend, and yes they do have a module for the FA 50 1.4. At least they do for the K-5, k-7 and k-x
09-15-2012, 05:05 PM   #19
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by wizofoz Quote
DXO is a great product that I highly recommend, and yes they do have a module for the FA 50 1.4. At least they do for the K-5, k-7 and k-x
I stand corrected

09-16-2012, 05:04 AM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Supported equipment

Plug in your camera model and you can see a list of lens/camera combinations supported/planned.

Keep in mind that if a lens is not listed, you can still use Optics Pro, you just have to manually process the image.

For images taken with a camera/lens combination Optics Pro will automatically process the image based on the preset selected. You can then fine tune settings if you want, and you can also create your own presets.

Also, you can try before you buy-it has a 30 day trial period.
09-16-2012, 11:57 AM   #21
Pentaxian

I look at the number of lenses I own that they support, and I've never bought into the software just on that basis. I'm not going to buy into something like that unless I'm going to use it for everything. I often change lenses in the field. I'm not breaking my workflow into sections for DxO supported lenses and another for lenses not supported by DxO. They are asking me to increase my work load so I can have the priviledge of using their product. What dreamers. It's like "listen dudes, if you want my money, you'll support every lens in production for my cameras and you'll buy the new lenses when they come out and support them before I have a chance to buy them." That's the way it's going to be. DxO simply stated, doesn't want my money.
09-16-2012, 12:41 PM   #22
Veteran Member

I use DxO regularly, and all my lenses are not supported either. I still run my whole batch of images through DxO - it still will do corrections for raw noise etc which are easily setup as presets. I've even setup a preset for my non-Pentax lenses to mimic the Pentax colors.

DxO is a lot more than just a lens correction software - it has most all the fine tuning you would find with any other raw converter editor. Take a look at this page which shows what adjustments it can do even without any lens modules:

Supported equipment

So, you don't have to split you images or anything - just run the all of them through DxO then tweak them some more if need be with you favorite editing program.
09-17-2012, 10:18 AM   #23
Site Supporter

To the OP, you may consider looking into renting on of these or borrowing one before buying. It is a relatively pricey lens if you end up buying it and not liking it. I ended up doing that with the DA 17-70/4 and just didn't like so I traded it later on for some cash and a DA 40 ltd.