Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-16-2012, 10:51 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Need Lens Repair Shop Recommendations

I have a broken Tokina 90/2.5 that needs fixing:

The inner aperture actuating plate is missing lock spring & three spacers. Essentially, the rod that controls the aperture is slipping out of the plate when the lens is extended. Sounds like what happened is the spring got brittle and broke, then when I extended it fully, the spacers dislodged and fell out. I can't understand the three missing spacers, but it's possible some fell out before I noticed.

Who in the US/Canada can fix this? The local shop gave me the info above, and said they could only fix it with parts from another of the same lens. I expect it can be fixed without that with some creativity (and a parts cache). Anyone know good manual focus lens repair people? Please let me know!

09-16-2012, 11:02 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Repair Center - Buy & Sell New & Used Cameras ? Canon, Nikon, Hasselblad, Leica & More - KEH.com

If it was a Pentax lens I would say Eric. You might want to contact him anyway.

http://pentaxs.com/index.html
09-16-2012, 11:40 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
Repair Center - Buy & Sell New & Used Cameras ? Canon, Nikon, Hasselblad, Leica & More - KEH.com

If it was a Pentax lens I would say Eric. You might want to contact him anyway.

Home
I sent Eric an email, thanks for the tip. I can try KEH as well, although their price estimate system seems odd.
09-16-2012, 12:58 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Forsters Camera here in Salt Lake City is a great repair shop. You might also just try a call to CRIS to see if they would repair the glass.

My first choice if I had to ship it would probably be Eric though.

09-16-2012, 03:09 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Heads up, got a response from Eric - no can do. I'll try Fosters and KEH next. I didn't think CRIS did that sort of thing, but I'll ask them...the hard part is getting through to a tech.
09-16-2012, 08:10 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jeffshaddix Quote
Heads up, got a response from Eric - no can do. I'll try Fosters and KEH next. I didn't think CRIS did that sort of thing, but I'll ask them...the hard part is getting through to a tech.
Call them, and tell them you aren't local. Their email is spotty at best.
09-16-2012, 08:11 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Just to put it in perspective, when I received my 2000mm /13.5 reflex, and it had something loose inside the lens, Forsters was able to put it back together like new for about $200. It was trusting them with $3500